Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Mar 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #751 of 3,573
I also have my E1 here for around 2 weeks by now. The basic sound is almost too good to be true for the pricerange. I have owned 3 DAC1 before and serveral others, currently i have 1 DAC1 left that will be sold soon and a metric halo uln-8. My current Monitors are Focal CMS65 + CMS Sub, but i'm waiting for a K+H O300 refresh from Neumann :wink:

Soundwise everything has been said already. Besides that I think most people here (yet) underate the upsampling. It's as good as it get's even in the most expensive highend gear (weiss...). Just compare it to the foobar sox resampler... that one looses so clearly it's not even funny.. Especially with sensitive headphones:

On speakers the difference is alot minor but still noticable, mostly in a clearer more 3d like soundstage and cleaner transient response.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #752 of 3,573

Quote:
Now my E1 is full of LM4562/LME49720. It sounds glorious, so detailed and extremely three dimensional. Feels like a different DAC now. I can recommend this as a cheap, easy and efficient upgrade. Actually I wonder why ASUS didn´t use these by default, most likely cost reasons as the E1 sells for a lot less than comparable products. Having rolled various dual channel Burr Brown opamps the LME49720/4562 is so far my favorite, and it doesn´t cost that much either. This opamp is extremely good value for money.
Getting really curious what AD797B/LME49710/OPA627 sound like!

They are great chips in the right design.  The LME49710 is a step up again, especially when considering the TO-99 metal can opamps.  I would have been very expensive to drop in LME's even in the buffers.  I don't recommend using the same opamp for every circuit position.  Some opamps are better suited to certain positions/tasks but that is what you learn with experience so keep at it.  Enjoy.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #753 of 3,573
I think I read somewhere that even some of the National designers feel the metal can versions sound superior, but don´t know why and now won´t as they have been fired (were just about to start looking into it when it happened). It seems the LME49720 works pretty well in all roles in the E1, as it´s suggested in both I/V and filter multiple times in the official opamp rolling guide. The recommendations there have to come from the designers, I doubt marketing made the calls which opamps to recommend there. I´d be very interested especially in hearing the metal can dual LME49710´s and the MUSE02 opamps...

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #754 of 3,573

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that even some of the National designers feel the metal can versions sound superior, but don´t know why and now won´t as they have been fired (were just about to start looking into it when it happened). It seems the LME49720 works pretty well in all roles in the E1, as it´s suggested in both I/V and filter multiple times in the official opamp rolling guide. The recommendations there have to come from the designers, I doubt marketing made the calls which opamps to recommend there. I´d be very interested especially in hearing the metal can dual LME49710´s and the MUSE02 opamps...

To-99 are generally accepted as the highest quality unit in any opamp family.  Your E1, use whatever opamp in whatever position you want.  I only gave you an opinion but it is more of a guideline that certain types of opamps are generally preferred for certain tasks.  Use what sounds good though!

I have built more LME49710HA modules for members of the audio community then I can count and I have always received excellent feedback.  The only issue, is they are a bit wide and sometimes they can be hard to fit in some devices.  The units I build fit perfect in the buffer stage for the head-amp just in case you are wondering :)
Good luck in your rolling.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #755 of 3,573
I'm having a nightmare sourcing opamps at a decent price in the UK. Most places incur a shipping fee from the US of around £15 which is more than I intended to pay for the set of opamps themselves.

Can any UK peeps point me in the direction of suppliers in the UK where I can order some of the drop in opamps as suggested in the opamp swap guide/this thread, please?

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #756 of 3,573

Quote:
I'm having a nightmare sourcing opamps at a decent price in the UK. Most places incur a shipping fee from the US of around £15 which is more than I intended to pay for the set of opamps themselves.

Can any UK peeps point me in the direction of suppliers in the UK where I can order some of the drop in opamps as suggested in the opamp swap guide/this thread, please?

If you want high grade opamps you are going to have to pay for them.  You will not get a full set of opamps for that low of a price.
I think the stock opamps would be worth more then that, if I cam getting the conversion right.
You shouldn't have to import them from the US though as there should be a local place but I am not sure exactly where.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #757 of 3,573
Hi,

I have just got asus essence one and i got a problem. I have installed all the latest drivers and upgraded firmware as the asus tray icon also shows and sound is perfect but every once in a while occuring randomly sound stops for about a second like pressing mute button and then resumes. On average at about 3 to 4 minutes intervals. It can happen several times a minute or not happen for 15 min. I hooked it via usb to laptop and have win 7 32 bit. 
Happens with footbar2000, vlc, internet explorer, asio( with footbar) all options produce this occasional mute although it seems to me it is more prevalent on internet explorer when listening on youtube.

Anybody has any ideas??? 

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #758 of 3,573
Sounds like a possible conflict.  Hard to say, try using a different USB port and see if that helps.
Also make sure you are using the latest drivers for your motherboard..etc.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #759 of 3,573
Tried all usb ports to no avail.

I agree it must be conflct. The reason is probably because i am using vista chipset drivers on win7 OS. The reason is i cannot find win7 drivers for my laptop and so far everything worked well.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #761 of 3,573
Hey, I have gone to the asus support website and updated the firmware and drivers, but it remains being to stay stuck on the usb output at all times. Its not a big deal for me though, I am not that nitpicky about such minor details. However, what I have noticed is that once in a while there is a slight static noise that is produced when using the E1 . . . initially it was very loud and distinct but lately it has gone down and cannot be heard over the music i listen to. I think I narrowed it down to my macbook usb ports because I was running into the same static when using a Creative Surround Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 Converter with my Logitech x530 speakers. I was just wondering if anyone else ran into this static problem as well??

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #763 of 3,573
Yea, I seem to be finding very fluctuating prices for opamps on different web sites. Ebay averages about £12 per dual opamp but Farnel has then for about £2.

Came across this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270934755561#ht_500wt_1156
I emailed the seller and he is not totally sure if they will work in the Essence one, I'm going to provide him with more info so he can advise.

EDIT - Also spotted these which could be worth a try? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190629659561#ht_1069wt_1270

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #764 of 3,573

Quote:
Yea, I seem to be finding very fluctuating prices for opamps on different web sites. Ebay averages about £12 per dual opamp but Farnel has then for about £2.

Came across this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270934755561#ht_500wt_1156
I emailed the seller and he is not totally sure if they will work in the Essence one, I'm going to provide him with more info so he can advise.

EDIT - Also spotted these which could be worth a try? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190629659561#ht_1069wt_1270

The first units are compatible with the circuit, but they may have trouble with size.  I would suggest the metal an versions of those opamps.  They are the higher grade module...
The second modules should work but I have not tested them personally...yet.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #765 of 3,573

Quote:
Now my E1 is full of LM4562/LME49720. It sounds glorious, so detailed and extremely three dimensional. Feels like a different DAC now. I can recommend this as a cheap, easy and efficient upgrade. Actually I wonder why ASUS didn´t use these by default, most likely cost reasons as the E1 sells for a lot less than comparable products. Having rolled various dual channel Burr Brown opamps the LME49720/4562 is so far my favorite, and it doesn´t cost that much either. This opamp is extremely good value for money.
Getting really curious what AD797B/LME49710/OPA627 sound like!

Hi, can you let me know how you have your  LM4562/LME49720 placed on the E1 ie, section 1,2,3a,3b and 4 on the E1 with these two op-amp.
Also can you share where you bought them from?

Are you able to describe the sound now vs the stock sound?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back