Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 7, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #3,556 of 3,573
Nice, another one who's still using the Essence One w/ some pimped ingredients. :L3000:
In terms of real MUSES or not, I've got this pic here for example: left one is fake and right one is genuine. Just look closely at the figure/head. Left one looks like some cartoony silhouette and right one more like a statue from the Easter Island imo.

My MUSES01 at I/V and LPF have printed numbers 206 and 301 on it, I guess due to batches. The MUSES02 at the Cinch-out has printed number 311 on it.

4tbcb3rker.jpeg

musesmehrr7j7c.jpg

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #3,557 of 3,573
The one from left, on the first pic, is fake, but it's very easy to spot.

BTW, I'm not gonna get rid of my E1 unless it's gonna get completely defective. :) Of course, I have other DACs too, but the E1 still measures and sound very good. On my last measurements I realised that the best combination is to stick with NE5532 and LME49720, which I did, so I'll probably sell the MUSES.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3,558 of 3,573
Kinda strange how Asus stopped making new Essence products. They haven't updated the Essence lineup since the E3 in 2014.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #3,560 of 3,573
How does the Asus Essence One with Muses01 chips installed compare with todays DACS/AMPS in the same price field?
I've been considering the new Drop + Sennheiser's HD8XX and wonder if I need to consider upgrading to get the very best out of the HD8xx/800S.

I have been using my current setup with the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium Headphones 600 Ohm for 10 years now and I feel it's time to upgrade my headphones.

As for the Asus Essence One Muses I've been very pleased with it and not sure if something like "xDuoo TA-30 Tube DAC/Amp" which is a tube dac/amp will sound better or is the Asus Essence one still very capable?

Mar 15, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #3,561 of 3,573
How does the Asus Essence One with Muses01 chips installed compare with todays DACS/AMPS in the same price field?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/asu...-dac-cebit-2011.542563/page-236#post-14799061 shows a slight increase in distortions with the original MUSES01 vs. the default NE5532 in I/V stage, so I recommend sticking to the default opamps if you care about best THD+N. Although, with MUSES01 I had a feeling of a better soundstage, but this is purely subjective, as I couldn't get it in measurements.

So, I have no problems with E1 these days in both Windows 10 and MacOS Catalina, but unless you will find it really low-cost I can't recommend it to purchase it, mostly due to possible volume potentiometers issues and it's age. I would personally wouldn't pay more than 100 EUR for it, unless is in mint condition (where maybe 150 EUR would be acceptable).

P.S.: By "original MUSES01" I mean opamps purchased from an authorised dealer, not eBay!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #3,562 of 3,573
I've found out that these things are often so cheap on the secondary market that it wouldn't make any sense to buy the opamps by themselves to upgrade my OG E1. Would be a smarter move to get a cheap muses edition and sell the OG.

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #3,563 of 3,573
I've found out that these things are often so cheap on the secondary market that it wouldn't make any sense to buy the opamps by themselves to upgrade my OG E1. Would be a smarter move to get a cheap muses edition and sell the OG.
The is a high risk the MUSES inside to be fake, so accurate pictures with the inside opamps are needed before the payment.

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #3,564 of 3,573
The is a high risk the MUSES inside to be fake, so accurate pictures with the inside opamps are needed before the payment.

I already own the Asus Essence One with Muses Amps which I bought from a legitimate Japanese chip supplier (chip1stop) back in 2012-13 which was a supplier used by some of the head-fi members.

http://www.chip1stop.com/web/AUS/en/dispDetail.do?partId=NJR1-0012051

I doubt that one of the official partners would be selling fake ones.

My original question was regarding how well do they sound/preform compared with todays modern Dac/Amp in the same price range.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #3,565 of 3,573
My original question was regarding how well do they sound/preform compared with todays modern Dac/Amp in the same price range.
I thought I already replied: THD+N is very low, see the pics from my previous answer. I see no jitter when using the USB input and crosstalk is also better than -90dB (channel separation). ASIO works perfectly on Windows 10 and for MacOS no drivers are needed, no drop-outs during playback or skipping.

There are DACs today having a better THD+N and using newer technology components inside, but as I said, if someone can find an E1 at a low price, then I see no problems purchasing such a combo.

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #3,567 of 3,573
Just picked up another unit because it was too cheap to ignore. Bought it with the intent to flip it for a profit, however when i use it i have noticed that once in a while i get a low volume electronic sounding hizz that lasts probably a second in my right earcup. The sound "drops off" so to speak. Any idea what might be causing this? Using the same cables and inputs as my other E1.

*edit* tried running through optical from my pc and i still get the noise. Newest firmware and drivers as per the Xonar Essence Information program.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #3,570 of 3,573
This is what it looks like inside. I see some indicators that it has been messed with though.

I'm just thinking out my behind here because i have no knowledge about electronics, but could what i am hearing be electronic discharge due to a faulty opamp?
what opamps should i replace if that is the case?
asus.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back