Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Dec 4, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,243 of 3,573
  Why are you using foo_input_sacd 7.3; just get the 9.5 version and you do not need asioproxy anymore (with ASUS WIN10 asio driver)....

I'm running windows 7 foobar2000 v1.3.8 with the foo_input_sacd 7.3 component in my E1 with the DSD upgrade kit and it works fine.   I set it up with the instructions provided on the Asus DSD upgrade web page, however, when I replace the foo_input_sacd 7.3 component with the 9.5 version it doesn't play the DSD/ISO files.  I went back through all the Asus foobar200 installation steps and still can't get it to work.  Has anyone here got the 9.5 version to work with the DSD ugrade and if so how did you get it to work?    Thanks!

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #3,244 of 3,573
I do not have a WIN7 computer to test the SACD 9.5 plugin, however I can tell that it works pretty well under WIN10 for two channel audio (stereo). With the WIN10 E1 installation (EssenceOne.10.0.12.16.win10) the SACD plugin works directly via the E1 Asio driver. 

As of the SACD plugin version 9.0 -Direct DSD output for compatible ASIO devices- works under WIN10. I have tested all the versions up to the latest one (9.5) by playing SACD iso files as well as *.diff etc.

Using the 9.5 plugin is very straightforward, just follow the instructions provided in the "readme.txt" file....

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #3,245 of 3,573
I installed Windows 10 on my media player and was able to install the latest foobar DSD plugin 9.5 without a problem.   I must be for Windows 10 only or I was doing something else wrong but is works now.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #3,248 of 3,573
Hi,

Few months ago I was cutting out the +5V (red wire) and device got not recognized in Windows, so it may need all the wires to work properly, I'd say. Entire USB is actually powered from USB +5V and I was trying to see if I can do an external power supply for the USB chip; project aborted because lack of time. :frowning2:

Feel free to work around this yourself, perhaps I was doing something wrong, who knows...

Anyway, I did a small USB noise reduction circuit on a small PCB that was able to cut the noise with about 30%. It's a simple CRC filter with 10uF tantalum, 100uF aluminium electrolytic and 1uF film...nothing fancy. :) Anyway, I found a couple of computer in my home able to deliver clean enough USB power (around 1-1.5 mV ripple+noise) and I'm quite OK with that.

Let us all know of your findings and of what you intend to do, please.

Thank you, 
Raul.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #3,249 of 3,573
It's definitely not USB-powered IME but some USB controllers need to have something pulling +5V to enable a port, some DIY guys put a dummy load: http://grizzlyaudio.blogspot.com/2015/08/diy-solid-core-audio-usb-cable-with.html

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #3,250 of 3,573
Sort of a "part 3 moding time" after part 1 and part 2:

Based on https://e2e.ti.com/support/data_converters/audio_converters/f/64/p/416047/1688554#1688554 I added 4 x 1uF capacitors for Vref on both PCM1795 DACs. In theory, cleaner Vref = cleaner sound, but to be honest I don't expect any audible difference, so I'm doing this mod just for fun.

(Yellow caps are the ones installed today and actualy filtering Vref; Nichicon caps and Kemet tantalums are filtering +5V and these were installed last year when I built a separate linear supply for DAC's +5V)​

I also "bypassed" Nichicon KT output capacitors for the balanced-outputs with WIMA MKS 2.2uF (leftovers after the upgrade I did to my M-Stage 3B). Bypassing was done on the backside of PCB. Perhaps JB JFX Premium Film or WIMA MKP would be a better choice, but lack of space and time made me to complete this task with WIMA MKS for now. In theory this "upgrade" might bring up some more details and might improve highs; some people noticed a clean and detailed sound after this upgrade (http://www.head-fi.org/t/632413/teac-reference-line-ud-501-usb-dac-dsd/390#post_11959763). But perhaps best cap is no cap, so according to MaestroSfai (https://audiofilifiorentini.files.w...e-sonore-al-dac-asus-one-che-risorgerc3a0.pdf) we can replace output caps with dc-servo circuit with TL072 or similar OPAMP, like is already implemented in E1's headphone amp with LME49720 (feel free to check TI's schematic for headmp with LME49720+LME49600).

Though my ears are trying to tell me that highs might be a little bit more clear and present after this upgrade, I refuse to believe there might be any difference, until I'll A/B test against another E1 (I'll probably do it sometime).

L.E.: Forgot to say that I've also replaced right now both buffers for balanced-out from LM4562 to MUSES8820. Still need A/B test to check for any possible differences.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3,251 of 3,573
This might sound like a stupid question. But if I would want to get a tube amp for my Sennheiser HD 700 will it make any sense to connect a Schiit Valhalla 2 using the unbalanced or RCA outputs from the Xonar Essence One or would I be doing it all wrong?

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #3,252 of 3,573
Hi RamGuy,

If you connect the Valhalla 2 on RCA outputs it should work perfectly.

BTW, Essence One's internal headamp should already drive very well HD700. If you're going to get the Valhala 2, please share with us how it will pair.

Thanks,
Raul.

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #3,255 of 3,573
It isn't neutral. Most people are used to boom and tizz. HD 600/598 is neutral treble. HD 650 is slightly warmer than neutral treble. HD 800 is bright. HD 700 is bright. Onwards of DT 770 and up all Beyers are bright. All AKGs are bright. Most/all Audio technicas are bright. All grados are bright. Sennheiser and Mr Speakers are as close to neutral as you can get. On the same lines, Essence One is bright.

Differences between DACs are never huge. So even if i say bright, it would be a small difference in the overall chain. But if you look at it in isolation it is a bit bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back