AstroTec AX60 - A new hybrid 3-way universal IEM for under $500? I'm getting excited..
Sep 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

White Lotus

Reviewer for Stereo.net.au
So, I got to have a quick demo with these bad boys today:

I went into Noisy Motel today, to pick up some cables, and Billy showed me these to sample. I was a little wary - I already have my Westone ES3X, my Westone 3, my Wooduo 2, my ADDIEMs.. You get the picture. I'm pretty much not interested in buying any more IEMs at this stage.

These quick snaps from my phone aren't doing the aesthetics justice at all - they looked absolutely stunning. Brushed metal housing, clear braided cable, memory wire, even the 3.5 jack was the same colour as the IEMs themselves. Great attention to detail. Even my (non-audiophile) girlfriend was amazed by how they looked. Now THAT is saying something. 

Despite my reluctance to try them, considering I feel that I thought I was "done" with IEMs for the time being - I was really blown away. It was only a quick test, but right off the bat, the stereo imaging was the first thing that hit me. The soundstage was wide, accurate, and downright spectacular. I've never heard an IEM do imaging quite so well. It really baffles me how this is possible in something so small. 

I'm told that it's a three way - Dynamic low, BA mid, BA high. Apparently the TWFK driver was purpose built and tuned for this IEM - now you see why I'm getting excited.

Finally, an IEM that does bass properly. I'm yet to do my usual frequency sweeps to pick up "hot spots", but the sub-bass was amazing and clear, and that's usually an area I find that a lot of IEMs are "hit or miss" with. The entire low section sounded beautiful and flat, not mid-bass lumpy or muddy. It was stunning, clear, driving bass, that took a back seat when it was told to - definitely no seeping into the midrange.

The mids delivered accurate presentation, and I just couldn't stop gawking at the imaging. Vocals sounded lush, but not recessed. 

The highs are definitely in balanced armature territory, no doubt about that. But there was something here that I instantly fell in love with. Not too sibilant, nothing spiking, but just clear sparkle and detail.

The crossovers sounded tight, and pinpoint accurate. This is crucial for me. Again, I need to do my extensive frequency sweeps and tests to verify exactly how they have done the crossover points, hopefully next week I'll get to do another demo. 

Oh yeah, and the best part? Billy tells me that these will go for under $500 when they are released... What?!

Guys - consider me excited, and I will be updating this post when I get more details. 

EDIT: Found some more details.

· Top cutting process metal cavity

AX60 uses a full metal shell, ultra-high-precision imported equipment from finishing, abnormal shell texture and delicate and rich. It is no exaggeration to say that, AX60 products have the same level of the most sophisticated metal manufacturing process, every detail reflects on the quality of the Aspen Tsui precise, meticulous stringent requirements.

· Unprecedented Galaxy special wire

AX60 uses codenamed "Galaxy" as a new special wire, from the inside out by a five layer covering made of different materials, some of which is the use of materials and medical military aviation will be seen in high-end materials. Conductors are ultra-high purity HiFi grade material, to ensure that it has a super-class audio signal transmission performance, while high-quality multi-layer composite jacket materials to ensure that the wire has superior durability and flexibility, which takes stethoscope effect reduced to a negligible extent of excluding.

· Rotary Interchangeable front acoustic duct

Unique rotating interchangeable ago acoustics pipe design, let AX60 has a sound sense of hearing can always change user-friendly features, through a simple rotation around, you can remove and install the front acoustic conduit, switch to a different sound also changes the catheter . Transparent and bright and dynamic experience of the high-frequency low-frequency super feeling can be easily obtained by replacing the front duct.

4: Technical Specifications

Bandwidth Range: 8 Hz - 28000 Hz
Sensitivity: 110 dB/1mw
Impedance: 12 OHM
Wire: 1.2m ± 0.3m Galaxy line
Connecting plug: Ф3.5mm stereo gold-plated plug
Rated power: 3 mW
Maximum power: 10 mW

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 68
  A side note on the "under $500" bit - the T-Peos H-200, which is also a 3-way hybrid (and excellent), is only $250.

Sound goes much further than driver selection.  The AstroTec are, supposedly, tuned to attempt to match the FR of the K3003, the H-200 are pretty far from that :p

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 68
The price is around $325. So, well under $500 though pricier than the DUNU and TPEOS hybrids. Surprised nobody has jumped on the DUNU DN-1000 for $179.

Rin's take on the Astrotec...http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/08/astrotec-ax60-k3003-clone-from-china.html

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 68
My only experience with Astrotec is with the highly competent (for the low price point) AM90.  I'm interested in anything higher end they're releasing.

Hybrids really are the FOTM.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 68
I've always loved the idea of hybrids. I've always enjoyed the way that dynamic drivers produce bass, and how BA drivers do everything above mid-bass - especially mids. 

EDIT: spelling

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 68
Interesting! I've never bought from them before - but to be honest, I'd personally prefer to buy locally. Thanks for sharing, though!

EDIT: Would love to hear some impressions from you, mine were only brief.. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 68

Taobao sells it for 1999 RMB, which is approximately $325 USD.

BTW, I have one; I've been using it for the last two weeks or so, but have not had time to properly synthesize complete thoughts on it.

I'd settle for some incomplete thoughts.  Shotgun those impressions all over the page.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back