AstroTec AX60 - A new hybrid 3-way universal IEM for under $500? I'm getting excited..
Nov 12, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #46 of 68
Nice review!

Personally I didn't like the sound sig too much, but I'll try them again at the meet. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #47 of 68

Awesome. (And you're welcome!)

I agree, the sound is much better with neutral filters and still has plenty of thump.

Hello Loquah. I've found that the AX-60 will sound its stunningly best with a wide bore silicon tip to get a good seal, but your want shallow insertion. You go in too deep you will throw the sound off (vocals will sound recessed, which they are not). This is even true with the bass filters, although I still prefer the neutral filters.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #48 of 68

Hello Loquah. I've found that the AX-60 will sound its stunningly best with a wide bore silicon tip to get a good seal, but your want shallow insertion. You go in too deep you will throw the sound off (vocals will sound recessed, which they are not). This is even true with the bass filters, although I still prefer the neutral filters.

I agree about the wide bore silicon tips. I hadn't noticed the insertion depth so that's a good one to know as well!

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #49 of 68

Hey, how do you compare these with the Cardas? I've been on the lookout for a replacement for the W4R I sold a while back.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #50 of 68

Hey, how do you compare these with the Cardas? I've been on the lookout for a replacement for the W4R I sold a while back.

Tough tough tough question. They sound nothing alike at all. I can't think of any similarities. The only thing I can think of is that the Cardas makes everything sound like a live recording. There is a lot more black space between instruments in the Cardas. More sub bass in the  AX-60. So Cardas is more of a specialty earphone, while the AX-60 is a more on-the-go nicely refined thick sounding hybrid. I love them both for different reasons. Don't know if I could choose between the two. Just like I wouldn't want to have the AS-2 missing from my collection. Or the V6.

So, I can say that the AS-2, V6, M200 and AX-60 are my four favorite earphones at this moment (not in any particular order). Cardas would come in at number 5 out of the earphones I currently own or have heard.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #53 of 68
i have one fiio e17 alpen.
from the fiio specs, drive ability 16-150 ohm, 290mw at 16 ohm
from astrotec ax-60 impedance 12 ohm, rated power 3mw.
you think that the e17-ax60 combination is possible?
thank you

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #55 of 68

Absolutely!

thank you!!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #56 of 68

far from the clearest earphones I've heard

Quote:

a bit muddy.

Sounds like I need to have a second audition. 

EDIT: The Miracle "starts" at $980 AUD.

If they are being compared, I'd be curious as to "why", as the AX60 is less than half the price of the miracle.

No, you don't!

It just that some people love to hate hybrids, or that's my theory anyway... 
wink.gif
 Seriously, I love hybrids as a concept and right now in the form of the AKG K3003i (the "i" is for incoherent, ask tmoscy2000 if you don't trust me). I trust your impressions completely and I will eventually try to listen to this IEM. Thank you very much!

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #57 of 68
Well, unfortunately the AX-60 sound good but are made cheaply. Not even two months and it shocked me twice and the right earphone (all three drivers) died on me. I had to fight the owner to take them back for a refund. Then he wanted to send me another pair and was like no thank you. I will not be purchasing another AX-60, but I enjoyed the sound while it lasted. The DN-1000, however, is still doing it for me. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #59 of 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back