Astrodyne Switching Power Supply, and My Ultra Micro Stack.
Nov 5, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 15
It's a pretty minor change, but when I got my JH13's, I found I could discern a difference. (More of one than I could with my UE11 or Edition 9, before I sold them.) The sound seemed a tiny bit smoother and "tonally perfect."

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a pretty minor change, but when I got my JH13's, I found I could discern a difference. (More of one than I could with my UE11 or Edition 9, before I sold them.) The sound seemed a tiny bit smoother and "tonally perfect."

Thanks! That what I thought, but I wanted to hear it, from someone else.

If you order a Ultra micro stack withthe Astrodyne Switching Power Supply, do you still get the standard power supplys? Because I was wondering if they ever come up on the used market. ie. someone might be more willing to sell the Astrodyne Switching Power Supply if they also/still had the original power supply.

How's the noise floor wih the JH13?

PS. I grew up in South lyon Mi. But I was born in Livonia Mi.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 15
Hah what a coincidence!

I was talking about my experiences with the Ultra Micro DAC, btw. I owned the UMAmp for about a week before I sold it. The hiss with my E500 and UE11 was simply too much for me.

Yes, you still get the standard power supply when you buy the Astrodyne. (It's separate.)

The JH13 are a little less sensitive than the UE11, so hiss is a little less. They're still IEMs, and are quite sensitive. If there is hiss, you will hear it if you try.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 15
I still wonder if they can run 2 power leads out of an astrodyne, or a bigger one, to allow just one power supply for the Micro Stack.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Bones13, they call that one the DPS.

Headroom Desktop Power Supply - Power Supplies | HeadRoom Audio

Pricey.
Almost 3 times the price of the Astrodyne units.

Quote:

Hah what a coincidence!

I was talking about my experiences with the Ultra Micro DAC, btw. I owned the UMAmp for about a week before I sold it. The hiss with my E500 and UE11 was simply too much for me.

I wonder if headroom has sent your order? maybe they could send the Astrodyne units to me! I could send you the money for the units. we both win. (with a slight Head-fi member discount from you!)

Yes, you still get the standard power supply when you buy the Astrodyne. (It's separate.)

The JH13 are a little less sensitive than the UE11, so hiss is a little less. They're still IEMs, and are quite sensitive. If there is hiss, you will hear it if you try.

I use my Ety P to S converter with my Sure 530s then "dead quiet". (I used it at first because I needed more cable so I could rock in my listening chair. Then when my CD hit the end I noticed wow this is dead quiet. With my ears it was alread pretty quiet as I had to really listen to hear any hiss without the converter)

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have two Astrodyne's coming in with my order but I also ordered a DPS. It is a little annoying to have the extra supplies when you upgrade but I'm hoping if I keep the DPS to be able to sell the Astrodynes.

Give me a good deal and I will take them (the two Astrodyne's) off your hands. Better yet if the order hasen't been shipped, maybe headroom can send them direct to me and save the shipping back from Hong Kong.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give me a good deal and I will take them (the two Astrodyne's) off your hands. Better yet if the order hasen't been shipped, maybe headroom can send them direct to me and save the shipping back from Hong Kong.

They are currently over the Pacific Ocean if UPS is truthful (pretty neat, in 24 hours my package has gone from Montana to Colorado to Kentucky to Alaska to the great beyond). I did ask if they could remove the Astrodynes from my order since I was ordering a DPS but was told no dice. Which is rather annoying, because every additional item that I get here means more weight and volume that I need to take care of should I move back to the States or just to store in my tiny flat.

EDIT: My package is now at Hong Kong International Airport. Man... now I have to wait a whole day for them to go not even a 1000th of the distance it has traveled in the past 24 hours.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 15
the difference is certainly not night and day difference, but it is a very worth while improvement.
the one thing that one needs to understand,is that in these levels of sound, that is obviously very very good, the improvements from one component to another will never be HUGE, but every minor improvement is very important to get the most out of your system. this is what high-end is all about in the high levels.

like for example: getting from single ended drive to balanced, replacing the cables (interconnects and headphones cable) power supllies,etc.
none of this i listed shouldn't make a huge difference (unless one of the components are really,really bad) . when the sound is already really good, the changes will never be very big, for example, like moving from a low end headphone to much better high end one , and low end amp to a better one, etc.
that's the reason every audiophile is willing to pay a whole lot of money for just a cable.
this is the "polishing " part of it...especially cables. power supplies are more important IMO.

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

They are currently over the Pacific Ocean if UPS is truthful (pretty neat, in 24 hours my package has gone from Montana to Colorado to Kentucky to Alaska to the great beyond). I did ask if they could remove the Astrodynes from my order since I was ordering a DPS but was told no dice. Which is rather annoying, because every additional item that I get here means more weight and volume that I need to take care of should I move back to the States or just to store in my tiny flat.

EDIT: My package is now at Hong Kong International Airport. Man... now I have to wait a whole day for them to go not even a 1000th of the distance it has traveled in the past 24 hours.

Enjoy, your new amp. and DAC!

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy, your new amp. and DAC!

/me refreshes www.ups.com

Package still at Hong Kong International. *%&*&#
angry_face.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

/me refreshes www.ups.com

Package still at Hong Kong International. *%&*&#
angry_face.gif

Did you ever get your Amp/DAC.

Did Headroom send you a tracking # automatically or did you ask for one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back