Astro Gaming 7.1 MixAmp
Feb 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sheamus

New Head-Fier
I know this topic pops up from time to time, but I have a question.

The Astro MixAmp takes a 5.1 and 7.1 and down mixes it to stereo. Many claim this produce this produces better positional audio that the multi-speaker head phones (ie. Tritton AX Pros).

Well I run my 5.1 speaker setup on a 10 y/o JVC Amp.  Couldn't I just take a set of stereo headphones (The same one I'd be using with MixAmp), and plug it into the amp? And then set then set the amp to Dolby Pro Logic II.  This would make the amp do the down mixing. Or does the MixAmp do a better job of down-mixing?

Thanks,
~S

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 3

Dolby Pro Logic takes a stereo signal and turns it into 5.1.
Dolby Headphone takes a 5.1 signal and processes it to make a stereo signal in such a way that it sounds like there are speakers around you (ideally). 
The MixAmp does Dolby Headphone on 5.1 signals it gets and I believe does Pro Logic AND Headphone on stereo signals it gets.
So unless your JVC amp supports Dolby Headphone (and it probably doesn't) you won't be getting the same thing. In all likelihood the amp will just bypass Pro Logic and give you the original stereo signal out of the headphone jack. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back