Astro A50 Wireless (inc. Mixamp 5.8) announced at E3
Jun 5, 2012 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

morunas

New Head-Fier
For gamers looking for a (slightly expensive) solution for decent wireless sound with in-built mic... the A50 wireless will include the Mixamp 5.8.

From reviews I have read the sound from these "gamer-like" cans is pretty good.

Writing this mostly for gamers of course. I recently bought the Sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones and an Asus Xonar DX soundcard. I wouldn't trade this setup for the A50+Mixamp5.8 just for the perc of the mic (also big Sennheiser fan)

But for gamers looking for a one in all good sound solution for gaming and music and movies I think these are top choice if you have the budget.

*EDIT*: they were announced, are not out yet. Also they will use Kleer technology which is also welcome vs. the against 2.4 ghz freq.

Read about it at: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/astro-gamings-a50-wireless-headset-the-a40-and-mixamp-5-8-beco/

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm split on this. On one hand, I like that it's a very convenient solution, on the other hand, it is an Astro headset which by Head-fi standards of SQ won't be up to par, especially at that price. the biggest issue is that Astro seems to refuse to sell the Mixamp 5.8 alone anymore, so console gamers will have to look for used 5.8s, or get the clutter inducing Mixamp pro.

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 4
actually a regular 5.8 mixamp won't work.  there is a specific one for the a50.  luckily they incorporated a 3.5mm in for playing music .
Look at the specs and it says that the drivers are the same as the a40's.  But the specs for the a40's and a50's are different. 
A40 has .01% THD       Frequency Range 15-20000
A50 has <1% THD       Frequency Range 20-20000
Dumb...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back