Astell&Kern XB10 Extreme Bluetooth Adapter
Jan 12, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #211 of 457
  As far as I read on the diverse AKxxx* threads as well as on this one, the DAPs have the BT issue, not the XB10. If the source signal is weak, there's not much the XB10 can do about it...
When I use the XB10 with [any of] my Windows workstations as well as my Android-based LG G4, the XB10 functions just as good as any other BT headset I've used.

*Let's be honest here; who would expect A&K to be overly-concerned about BT performance when designing their €1~3.5K [dual-] DAC equipped DAPs? It should be considered a crime to bypass that much € in DACs via BT, LOL
beyersmile.png

They obviously pulled out the XB10 out of their [magic] hat in anticipation of future iPhone 7 owners... . My advice? Don't buy an iPhone 7
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Yes, this is my understanding too. It's the DAPs with the issue, the AK380 being the best performing one. A&K primarily added bluetooth probably to support things like their remote control.

There is a whole separate question about whether the AK DAPS are "really" outputting APT-X HD, considering that the Qualcomm chip that supports this came out over 6 months after the release of the AK380 and of course a whole lot longer with the AK240. The screen shows APT-X HD on the DAP when connecting with the XB10 but conspiracy theorists believe that is all it does by identifying the stream header, and then just transmits with APT-X (no HD) anyway :wink: 

I did try and put the conspiracy to bed by contacting Qualcomm directly to ask if there were other ways of implementing APT-X HD without the newest BT radio chip (e.g. in an FPGA), and whether they planned to certify the AK DAPs........no response, unfortunately.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #212 of 457
Mm..they should not have released this to market until the XB10 works flawlessly with ALL AK players. It is embarrassing. I had planned on using the XB10 with my AK 240 for days when I need a fuss-free, portable and wireless listening. Not happy.

I don't think AK meant the XB10 to be used with the AK DAPs.  It works flawlessly with my LG V20 via aptX HD.  The sound is noticeably better than just aptX and I literally have to walk over 30 ft. away to get sound interruptions.  If I listen critically (ie., in a very quiet room), the sound is not as good as my wired connections but when mobile and not listening critically (ie., moving about), the sound is compared favorably with my wired AK120ii connection.  

I think if they put the same DAC as in their portable players into the XB10, there would be no reason to get their DAPs.

:)

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #213 of 457
Mm..bought an XB10 yesterday. Not bad. SQ is barely acceptable and still some ways off before it can be good enough to replace or compare favorably with wired listening. Tried it on my iPhone 7 Plus, AKt8ie and Onkyo DPX1, balanced on the XB10. Had some problems with audio cut-off, which can be irritating....and surprising considering that cheap wireless earphones do not have this problem. AK needs to make the wireless connection more robust or reliable.

The Sony MUC-M2BT1 is far, far better sounding than the XB1 and has longer battery life. But it isn't comfy to wear, and only works with mmcx.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #214 of 457
Mm...even with non-Sony LDAC player? I have the ZX2 with LDAC. But used with, say, the DPX1 or others, is it just as good? Have the akt8ie and shure se846 mmcx terminated, so I'm curious to try. Also, have you tried the Noble BTS? The Lear is out of the question because of very short battery life.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #215 of 457
I have tried all the BT units you have listed. In fact, I own each. I am probably going to do a 4-way shootout soon enough at ohm-image. But I often put up plans that later I shoot down. I hope I get it done. The Sony is the most unwieldy, but the best sounding. It is the only one that doesn't hiss like a snake. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #216 of 457
...It works flawlessly with my LG V20 via aptX HD.  The sound is noticeably better than just aptX and I literally have to walk over 30 ft. away to get sound interruptions....

Hmm, grain-of-salt mode on until I have an actual guaranteed* AptX HD source like you...
wink.gif

*As in listed by Qualcomm / CSR - which the AK players are not (they are listed under AptX only).

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #217 of 457
order the AK XB10 for iphone 7..

Quick question: isn't the data bandwidth of bluetooth 4 enough for lossless music files, why would an APTX be better than bluetooth 4 since the bandwidth is already enough? Also is there anyway to not send compress data since the bandwidth is already big enough for lossless?

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #218 of 457
  order the AK XB10 for iphone 7..

Quick question: isn't the data bandwidth of bluetooth 4 enough for lossless music files, why would an APTX be better than bluetooth 4 since the bandwidth is already enough? Also is there anyway to not send compress data since the bandwidth is already big enough for lossless?

The data rate of BT 3.0 is 24 Mbps which is pretty impressive (BT 4.0 adds other functionality, but no additional bandwidth).
AptX works with rates of 384Kbps, AptX HD at 576Kbps.

AptX is an Audio Codec that uses BT 3.0, 4.x... a communication network interface to transmit audio data between two "paired" devices. To make things more complicated, you still need a BT "profile" such as A2DP to make it all work together.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #219 of 457

The data rate of BT 3.0 is 24 Mbps which is pretty impressive (BT 4.0 adds other functionality, but no additional bandwidth).
AptX works with rates of 384Kbps, AptX HD at 576Kbps.

AptX is an Audio Codec that uses BT 3.0, 4.x... a communication network interface to transmit audio data between two "paired" devices. To make things more complicated, you still need a BT "profile" such as A2DP to make it all work together.

Oh I see... thanks for the info, didn't know aptx is a codec, so does it means it convert AAC to APTX before transmitting? 

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #220 of 457
I have the Nuforece BTR-100 for couple of years.. and at the back, there is an APTX and AAC logo sticker.. does this means that if the bluetooth device that does not have AAC logo, it cannot transmit AAC codec? 

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #221 of 457
I also have the sony SBH50 for many years.. I just powered it today with my iphone 7 connected to SBH50 to KSE1500.. I then compare it to Audioquest Dragon fly red direct wire and notice there is not much differences between the 2 upon first few testing.. they were tonally identical except the direct wire is louder.. also a litttle more dynamic and sharper 

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #223 of 457
  Does this have Line-Out by any chance? Can we use it as a wireless streaming module/transport for the mojo? 

No.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #225 of 457

Missed opportunity by A&K IMO, They could've made this the ultimate wireless transport by just adding a line-out. I would've preferred it over the much more expensive Poly streaming module, no questions asked. 

Maybe, but that probably would have added another $100 to the cost (at least) - no thank you.  A better DAC would've been nice...IMHO...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back