Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Apr 13, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #1,591 of 2,745
That's why it's called a DAP.

And to be able to sort Albums by Artist will never compromise users data! Can we live it without it? Of course we can? I think I could even live with a "Mono DAP" 🙂.
And, here I go again, giving to the Home Button a double function (as a switch) and be able to arrive to any of the music app installed just by pressing a single button instead of pressing A/Services/App will, once again, not compromise the users data or the security of the device!
And not doing these kind of very small changes it's an option of AK that may please some users and displease so many others!
As we say here, opinions are like navels, each has its own!
Don't like it return it, all devices have limitation, especially portable ones. As for the Google reference you missed the point entirely...

Q-6

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #1,592 of 2,745
Maybe I missed the point, I have no problems to admit that I don't know everything, thankfully 🙂.
But your statement seems very basic! Just because I would like to see these little small things that, imo, would impact positevely the user experience, that doesn't mean I don't like it and I should send it back! Really? No room for improvement at the AK daps? Really?
Cool down Q6.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #1,593 of 2,745
Don't like it return it, all devices have limitation, especially portable one. As for the Google reference you missed the point entirely...

Q-6
I completely agree all portable devices have limitations. I first bought the sony nwa55L, very nice but limited to internal files and limited output for demanding headphones. Then I went the sony nwa105. I loved the ui but the battery life was really poor and in Europe came with the volume limitation. I returned it. Then I got the SR25 which to me is a good compromise. The ui could be better but sound quality and battery life are fantastic, specially considering it is a streaming device. I am really happy with it. It is not perfect but it is excellent imo.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #1,594 of 2,745
And I completely agree too, that's nothing to disagree! But that doesn't mean that the "system" it's closed and cannot be improved with very small sw tweaks that will not compromise any user data or security!
That's why from time to time we receive....updates!
Cheers.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #1,595 of 2,745
I completely agree all portable devices have limitations. I first bought the sony nwa55L, very nice but limited to internal files and limited output for demanding headphones. Then I went the sony nwa105. I loved the ui but the battery life was really poor and in Europe came with the volume limitation. I returned it. Then I got the SR25 which to me is a good compromise. The ui could be better but sound quality and battery life are fantastic, specially considering it is a streaming device. I am really happy with it. It is not perfect but it is excellent imo.
I still have the A55L I avoided the A105 because of the battery and volume issues. The A55 UI with the SR25s innards would be great :). The big advantage of the SR25 though is that with a large SD card I can throw all my FLACS on there and also have enough room to download Tidal stuff too.

I deliberately chose (and paid more for) the SR25 over say the similarly specced iBasso model as I really did not want a device that booted to an android home screen as that is in a way just slightly clunkier android phone with a good DAC inside it and I almost feel like an LG V50/V60 might have bene the better buy. I did consider the Sony ZX300 and maybe I should have looked more closely at that one?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #1,596 of 2,745
Maybe I missed the point, I have no problems to admit that I don't know everything, thankfully 🙂.
But your statement seems very basic! Just because I would like to see these little small things that, imo, would impact positevely the user experience, that doesn't mean I don't like it and I should send it back! Really? No room for improvement at the AK daps? Really?
Cool down Q6.
Just saying, no anger here. Just be mindful what you want isn't what everybody else wants. Double Tap currently brings you back to what the DAP is playing which makes sense to me. Nor is it overly challenging to access the steaming Apps. I rather suspect that A&K believes that users will load their own music on the player to get the best out of it.

Q-6

Apr 13, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #1,597 of 2,745
Hey Q-6, peace it's always in my mind :beerchug:. We are jus talking and sharing our opinions here!
And it's true: I would like to have this "feature" but, maybe no one else want it. And I understand it if AK want us to use our own music (in matter of fact, I have about all my music in FLAC format at the 1TB micro SD card). But sometimes I just want to go to Tidal (in my case it's Tidal) to check the "news", listening and if I like it, save it or buy it!
And of course, pressing A/Services/Tidal app will not kill me, I mean, I will not be exhaust to do so. But if I could press the Home button to go to AK player and double press it to go to Tidal directly (and then press it again if I want to come back to the AK player and so on), I need to admit it, that for me, with big finger tips, would be handy.
And yes, I'm loving it for so many reasons :smile_phones: no reasons to return it, by the contrary, so many reasons to keep it.

Paulo

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #1,598 of 2,745
Hey Q-6, peace it's always in my mind :beerchug:. We are jus talking and sharing our opinions here!
And it's true: I would like to have this "feature" but, maybe no one else want it. And I understand it if AK want us to use our own music (in matter of fact, I have about all my music in FLAC format at the 1TB micro SD card). But sometimes I just want to go to Tidal (in my case it's Tidal) to check the "news", listening and if I like it, save it or buy it!
And of course, pressing A/Services/Tidal app will not kill me, I mean, I will not be exhaust to do so. But if I could press the Home button to go to AK player and double press it to go to Tidal directly (and then press it again if I want to come back to the AK player and so on), I need to admit it, that for me, with big finger tips, would be handy.
And yes, I'm loving it for so many reasons :smile_phones: no reasons to return it, by the contrary, so many reasons to keep it.

Paulo
Hi Paulo, I get you think is just a language thing, I would never want to close another's opinion. The A&K & Sony UI is the best I've experienced with a DAP. They have to balance usability versus features which can be challenge, as you cant please all of the people, all of the time. Maybe A&K could add user customisation to the home key or the back button, that way it would serves us all better :o2smile:

TBH streaming is going to be the dominant factor with already seeing some high end DAP's only offering 64GB of internal storage which I personally disagree with, equally I'm likely in the minority. Luckily my own SR25 is a country specific 128GB model which really sealed the deal for me. SR25 is one of the most, if the most balanced DAP's on the market given it's tuning, power output, battery life, features and security.

:beerchug: Q-6

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #1,599 of 2,745
Oh, thanks for the info. I didn't know they have a 128 GB option. Lucky you 🙂.
Look, there's much more that unite us that divide us, believe me.
I'm having fun with it right now.

Wish you the best.
Paulo

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,600 of 2,745
Oh, thanks for the info. I didn't know they have a 128 GB option. Lucky you 🙂.
Look, there's much more that unite us that divide us, believe me.
I'm having fun with it right now.

Wish you the best.
Paulo
I kind of questioned the 128 option, equally the SR25 came from a reputable source that I know categorically does not deal with counterfeits. As ever united we stand, divided we fall :thumbsup:

Q-6

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,601 of 2,745
So another day in and have a couple more questions.

1- Any Sennhesiser HD599 users out there with EQ settings to share?
2 - Similar question re going balanced, I saw a positive post earlier in the thread but overall views on the merits of balanced with gear at this levels seems mixed
3 - For apps sideloaded is there any way to close them? I added the newer version of Tidal but whilst I can exit I cannot see a way to actually close the app now like you could on the pre-loaded one.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,602 of 2,745

2 - Similar question re going balanced, I saw a positive post earlier in the thread but overall views on the merits of balanced with gear at this levels seems mixed
3 - For apps sideloaded is there any way to close them? I added the newer version of Tidal but whilst I can exit I cannot see a way to actually close the app now like you could on the pre-loaded one.

Going balanced will offer a good deal more power which is the driving force for me, the rest is too minimal to be worried about.

Q-6

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,603 of 2,745
Thanks for providing more tips! My music files are mostly, aiff and some occasional flac files. I also have a Bluesound Node 2i, and all of the artwork shows up nicely on the Bluesound apps (Mac OS, iOS). What baffles me, for example, is a five disc collection I have. Each album is in its own folder, each folder has the exact same "cover.jpg" image, via copy and paste. Only four of the five albums show up with the artwork on the SR25. This is the baffling part. So, I have many albums that show beautiful artwork on the SR25, but a lot that aren't showing the artwork, which I just can't figure out. I've looked at the sizes of the "cover.jpg"'s in a lot of the albums I have, and while there are different sizes of jpg's, some smaller ones show up, some larger ones show up, but some others just don't.

I had an issue similar to this with my Sony ZX300.

It was so bad, if an artist has a guest vocalist, those tracks would be listed as individual albums.

Someone in this thread put me right. For the ZX300 under settings, instead of listing Artist List Display under 'artist': use 'album artist'.

It fixed all my issues in one setting.

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,604 of 2,745

Hi Neil,
I do not EQ my Sennheiser, so no help there. As to going balanced I clearly recommend it. The balanced output is twice as powerful and imo it also sounds somehow better. I bought a balanced cable for the HD599 from Aliexpress (generally not a fan) from gongheyfacai Store and works wonderfully.
As to closing the apps, if you slide your finger down you will see if the app is still open, if it is you can close it by sliding it to the left.
Hope it helps

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,605 of 2,745
I had an issue similar to this with my Sony ZX300.

It was so bad, if an artist has a guest vocalist, those tracks would be listed as individual albums.

Someone in this thread put me right. For the ZX300 under settings, instead of listing Artist List Display under 'artist': use 'album artist'.

It fixed all my issues in one setting.
Hi GB, I'll find out tomorrow, when I receive my replacement SR25. Since I sent the original back, I have since acquired an app to embed album artwork, and it works really well. I have tested it with my Node 2i, and the album art shows up without a "cover.jpg" riding in the songs folder. Hopefully, there won't be the random crashes in the replacement SR25 as there was in the original.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back