Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #1,366 of 2,743
I regularly use the SR25 for 'extended' stretches of up to 6 hours, mostly using the 3.5mm output and the unit gets quite warm and when I have used the 2.5mm for similar amounts of time it gets very hot. Does anybody else's get similarly warm/hot - anything to be concerned about?

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #1,367 of 2,743
I regularly use the SR25 for 'extended' stretches of up to 6 hours, mostly using the 3.5mm output and the unit gets quite warm and when I have used the 2.5mm for similar amounts of time it gets very hot. Does anybody else's get similarly warm/hot - anything to be concerned about?

Just bought one and 6hrs in using 2.5mm it's still cool to the touch.

Coming from the AK70 Mkii, the SR25 is a magnificent machine, spent the last few hours playing random favourite tracks from my library (16bit & 24bit) and am blown away by how good they all sound (even D&B tracks).

Am particularly impressed (Blown away tbh) that one track, 'Change of the Guard' from Kamasi Washington's 'The Epic' (24bit) which neither AK70 Mkii with 2.5mm Forza/CA Andromeda nor iFi iDSD BL with Forza/HD660S could cope with @ >2min 27seconds into the track (both would lose the plot) however the SR25 (with 2.5mm Forza/CA Andromeda) whilst not perfect plays it a whole whole lot better & that's without any burn-in time

I shall however be suing Astell & KAern for making me miss my dinner tonight

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,368 of 2,743
Mine gets hot with DSD files. Also, less, with long periods of streaming files from my pc via foobar200.
It does not get hot, or barely, with flac files, Tidal or Apple Music

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,372 of 2,743
Hi guys,

I have been trying to search for how to make an album cover so it can be shown while playing the songs. But I couldn't find any in the forum. Please help.
Before loading my music into the SR25 I cleaned up all the tags - including album art - using Tag Editor for the Mac. I find it very easy to use and reliable in sourcing album art from the network.

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,373 of 2,743
Looking for IEM pairing recommendations for the SR25 - anything up to $300usd. Typically prefer neutral sounding IEMs but looking for something different and open to suggestion!

Thanks all.

Edit: anything but deep insertion like Etymotic!

Edit 2: actually, it would be interesting to know what people are using with their SR25s in general so please share.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,374 of 2,743
Looking for IEM pairing recommendations for the SR25 - anything up to $300usd. Typically prefer neutral sounding IEMs but looking for something different and open to suggestion!

Thanks all.
I looooove Etymotic! With cable and top of their range the Er4xr is monitor neutral tuning with slightly more bass, fantastic sound and passive isolation. Beware they are deep insertion. Together with the SR25 is by far my favorite portable solution. Also I have just bought the Er2xr with Etymotion Bluetooth cable. Also fantastic sound, pairs wonderfully with the Sr25 in Aptx HD Bluetooth. A bit weird, you have to use included shirt clips for the cable, but once on, they are excellent.
Hope it helps!

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,375 of 2,743
I looooove Etymotic! With cable and top of their range the Er4xr is monitor neutral tuning with slightly more bass, fantastic sound and passive isolation. Beware they are deep insertion. Together with the SR25 is by far my favorite portable solution. Also I have just bought the Er2xr with Etymotion Bluetooth cable. Also fantastic sound, pairs wonderfully with the Sr25 in Aptx HD Bluetooth. A bit weird, you have to use included shirt clips for the cable, but once on, they are excellent.
Hope it helps!
Thanks for replying but ... the deep insertion is an issue for me! I'll edit my original post!

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #1,377 of 2,743
Hi, i just got mine, but i couldn't update the firmware. WiFi is ok but update is impossible, Firmware in my device is 1.10.
Is there any way i can manually download and install?
Why also the bluetooth does not work?
Hi Lu
I am in version 1.40. If I remember correctly the update is automatic provided you are connected to WiFi. A warning comes out asking whether you want to update.
what do you mean when you say Bluetooth does not work? Not work at all or you cannot pair with headphones?

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,379 of 2,743

Thanks all.

Edit: anything but deep insertion like Etymotic!

Edit 2: actually, it would be interesting to know what people are using with their SR25s in general so please share.
I’m using mine with the Andromeda 2020. I’m very happy with the sound.

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #1,380 of 2,743
In that price range I would try IMR R2 Aten or RAH. They are tunable by filter. I moved on up but had the r2 Aten and enjoyed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back