Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Dec 21, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,186 of 2,745
This morning I downloaded a trial version of Audirvana for Windows. I have the A&K Dreamus ASIO drivers installed (I found the ASIO driver lets me use native DSD playback unlike the native WASAPI driver implemented in Windows). Audirvana has a feature where it "auto-detects" if the connected DAC is MQA capable and the SR-25 reports as "not detected as MQA." So, it appears that when connected to a PC as a DAC the SR-25 will not decode/render MQA and you have to use the music app software decoder. That's unfortunate....

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,187 of 2,745
This morning I downloaded a trial version of Audirvana for Windows. I have the A&K Dreamus ASIO drivers installed (I found the ASIO driver lets me use native DSD playback unlike the native WASAPI driver implemented in Windows). Audirvana has a feature where it "auto-detects" if the connected DAC is MQA capable and the SR-25 reports as "not detected as MQA." So, it appears that when connected to a PC as a DAC the SR-25 will not decode/render MQA and you have to use the music app software decoder. That's unfortunate....

I was wandering what is the option in USB sub menu for. In fact, I'm not sure if the SR25 is capable of hardware or software MQA decoding.

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #1,188 of 2,745
I was wandering what is the option in USB sub menu for. In fact, I'm not sure if the SR25 is capable of hardware or software MQA decoding.

The SR-25 manual instructions are a hot mess so I can see this being confusing. That said, I think you are referring to the USB menu options for USB OUT which I think applies only to using the SR-25 as a SOURCE and outputting digital signal through the USB port to a different DAC/AMP. I, on the other hand, am using the player as a DAC when connected to my Windows PC. There you have only two modes: one for file transfer (MTP) and the other for the computer to recognize the player as a DAC.

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #1,189 of 2,745
The SR-25 manual instructions are a hot mess so I can see this being confusing. That said, I think you are referring to the USB menu options for USB OUT which I think applies only to using the SR-25 as a SOURCE and outputting digital signal through the USB port to a different DAC/AMP. I, on the other hand, am using the player as a DAC when connected to my Windows PC. There you have only two modes: one for file transfer (MTP) and the other for the computer to recognize the player as a DAC.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, I was referring to that option and supposed it works as you say, but I wasn't sure 👍🏻

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,190 of 2,745
I own an Fiio M11 which I sometimes pair with Fiio Q5S and BTR5.

I own quite a mixture of different headphones and IEMs:

• Meze 99 Classics
  • Audio Technica Ath-msr7b
  • Nad Viso Hp50
  • Nad Viso Hp70
  • Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon
  • Sivga Phoenix
  • Fiio FH3
  • Audeze iSine 10
I am looking for an upgrade, basically I find the M11 a great all rounder but sound wise a little bright up top. I am looking for something a bit more warm and detailed, especially in the low and high end without overpowering the mids. Sounds simple, right 🤣

My only previous experience with A&K was the Kann Astro, it was a good DAP but at the time I felt it was too restricted in terms of downloading Apps and I found the sound signature a little too analytical for my liking.

I am not too bothered about installing apps or Bluetooth and I don't use any streaming services, all my listening will be done via music stored on a micro sd card (I will probably purchase a 1Tb SanDisk one from Amazon).

I am interested to hear from current SR25 owners who have either owned or listened to a Fiio M11 and ask...is the SR25 worth the extra $200 price compared to the M11 based on the sound signature, e.g. is there a significant difference in sound quality?

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,191 of 2,745
Hi, another newbie here - just bought my SR25 and sound quality is really impressive. A couple of questions to all:
- AK Connect - I am using it basically to remote control SR25 from my iPhone/IPAD using the AK Connect 2.0 App. Connects fine and works fine, but only for minutes - when the screen turns off - some 4-5 minutes - it disconnect... I have to wake up the SR25, get the notification that AK Connect has been enabled and it starts working again... Any ideas?
- Wifi - similar issue - works fine, good connection, but disconnects after some minutes/
I tried fiddling with the timers and but both to Always turn on, and screen time to maximum but no luck.
Hi mwizenbe, I just bought the SR25 and have the same problem. Did you manage to sort it out yet? Regards Jens

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #1,192 of 2,745
A volume normalizer for the songs woould bring us to the 21 century.
Volume equalizer's are a form of compression from what I've read. Not a good thing for hi-res files

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,193 of 2,745
I own an Fiio M11 which I sometimes pair with Fiio Q5S and BTR5.

I own quite a mixture of different headphones and IEMs:

• Meze 99 Classics
  • Audio Technica Ath-msr7b
  • Nad Viso Hp50
  • Nad Viso Hp70
  • Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon
  • Sivga Phoenix
  • Fiio FH3
  • Audeze iSine 10
I am looking for an upgrade, basically I find the M11 a great all rounder but sound wise a little bright up top. I am looking for something a bit more warm and detailed, especially in the low and high end without overpowering the mids. Sounds simple, right 🤣

My only previous experience with A&K was the Kann Astro, it was a good DAP but at the time I felt it was too restricted in terms of downloading Apps and I found the sound signature a little too analytical for my liking.

I am not too bothered about installing apps or Bluetooth and I don't use any streaming services, all my listening will be done via music stored on a micro sd card (I will probably purchase a 1Tb SanDisk one from Amazon).

I am interested to hear from current SR25 owners who have either owned or listened to a Fiio M11 and ask...is the SR25 worth the extra $200 price compared to the M11 based on the sound signature, e.g. is there a significant difference in sound quality?
Short answer is Yes. But I have only had my SR25 for a few days now. There are a few things I don't like about the SR25 (nitpicking), but sound wise, I'm liking the SR25 much more than the Fiio M11. I have not experienced the wi-fi issue that others have posted about. I'm at the furthest point from my router where I do most of my listening. Upstairs on the opposite side of the house, so I'm going through walls and a floor. I only do streaming with Tidal, and have not had any issues, so I can't help with using SD cards, if that's how you will listen. But I haven't seen too many issues with the SD cards on this forum, other than file transfer, and sometimes the formatting.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,195 of 2,745
does the sp25 work with apple airplay?
Don't think so, but what would be your use case for airplay with the SR25? I've probably mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I believe SR25 is best considered for its standalone playback features, at which it excels.

If you're thinking of airplay with an iOS device, you're probably better off to get a USB DAC, eg Dragonfly or similar..

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,196 of 2,745
Don't think so, but what would be your use case for airplay with the SR25? I've probably mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I believe SR25 is best considered for its standalone playback features, at which it excels.

If you're thinking of airplay with an iOS device, you're probably better off to get a USB DAC, eg Dragonfly or similar..
I like to browse qobuz on the beautifully designed iPad app and airplay the high res files to my dap

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,197 of 2,745
Static in the headphones.

I've started getting static in the 2.4. balanced output when I turn the plug. Any idea what it is or a cure?
It's not too bad, but I think it's getting worse.
Thanks

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,198 of 2,745
I like to browse qobuz on the beautifully designed iPad app and airplay the high res files to my dap
Right, I don't use qobuz, but I get what you mean. The small screen of the SR25 is not the best to search or browse with.

I do most of my browsing/curating using Tidal app on a Mac. Then download stuff using the Tidal apk on the SR25, and use it for mostly offline listening.

If you do want to use iPad or iPhone as a source, then SR25 may not be best for you. A&K themselves would be better placed to comment, but I don't see Airplay coming to their devices anytime soon. Like I said, a USB DAC like a Dragonfly or maybe a Mojo would be better? you'll have a cable or 2 to deal with, but it'll sound great and save you a few $$ as well.

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #1,199 of 2,745
Right, I don't use qobuz, but I get what you mean. The small screen of the SR25 is not the best to search or browse with.

I do most of my browsing/curating using Tidal app on a Mac. Then download stuff using the Tidal apk on the SR25, and use it for mostly offline listening.

If you do want to use iPad or iPhone as a source, then SR25 may not be best for you. A&K themselves would be better placed to comment, but I don't see Airplay coming to their devices anytime soon. Like I said, a USB DAC like a Dragonfly or maybe a Mojo would be better? you'll have a cable or 2 to deal with, but it'll sound great and save you a few $$ as well.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #1,200 of 2,745
Love the feel, design/look, and especially the battery life of this player...

But why did they nerf the bass response on this??? Even my older Opus#1 has greater depth and impact while still remaining dead neutral...

Soundstage though is rather well spread out and definitely layered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back