Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Dec 17, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #1,171 of 2,743
Have fun with the new toy!
I also have Final iems but in my case the 4000. I love the sound too. My only criticism is the sound isolation of these iems. In my opinion they both work so much better in the balanced mode, the E4000 and the Denon Ah-d7200. It is not only much more powerful in the SR25 but also sounds better to me.

I just tried connecting a pair of E5000's to the balanced line on the SR25 and I actually think the SR25 doesn't have enough juice to power the E5000's. The E5000 are definitely pretty power hungry, as I noticed an audible difference across the board when I was running them unbalanced out of my JDS Element II.

I wonder if this means I need an external portable amp now. Maybe the Lotoo Paw S1? 🤣

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #1,172 of 2,743
I have S1 as well and it's not more powerful then SR25 by any means . When connected to phone / dap it sounds weak.

To have proper power to extend SR25 onto more demanding gear , you should look at dedicated external amps that have their own battery supply, e.g. ifi xcan, xduoo 05plus.

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,173 of 2,743
I have S1 as well and it's not more powerful then SR25 by any means . When connected to phone / dap it sounds weak.

To have proper power to extend SR25 onto more demanding gear , you should look at dedicated external amps that have their own battery supply, e.g. ifi xcan, xduoo 05plus.
Anybody care to comment on experiences of the SR25 with portable amps like the xcan or the xduoo 05plus? With easy to drive cans and iems? What about experiences of the SR25 with desktop amps, like the Topping L30, Ifi zen can or others? Again with easy to drive cans or iems?

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,174 of 2,743
I just tried connecting a pair of E5000's to the balanced line on the SR25 and I actually think the SR25 doesn't have enough juice to power the E5000's. The E5000 are definitely pretty power hungry, as I noticed an audible difference across the board when I was running them unbalanced out of my JDS Element II.

I wonder if this means I need an external portable amp now. Maybe the Lotoo Paw S1? 🤣
That's strange i drive my E5000 out of the balanced port, and never go beyond 80-85 volume, this is a little more than half the capable volume, the sr25 drives it beautiful. I had a Cowon plenue D2 before the sr25 with the same 4vrms output on the balance port and even the cowon could power it without a problem (balanced that is!)
Than again maybe my ears won't let me hear the difference :)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #1,175 of 2,743
That's strange i drive my E5000 out of the balanced port, and never go beyond 80-85 volume, this is a little more than half the capable volume, the sr25 drives it beautiful. I had a Cowon plenue D2 before the sr25 with the same 4vrms output on the balance port and even the cowon could power it without a problem (balanced that is!)
Than again maybe my ears won't let me hear the difference :)
We all have different ears but I also find it strange that Povidlo feels the E5000 underpowered in the balanced output. I do not have that problem at all with the E4000. Also, just a couple of days ago I received a balanced cable for my Etymotic Er4xr. They are not underpowered at all. They have 45 ohms impedance and 104 db sensitivity, so they should, at least on paper, be more difficult to drive than the E5000. With the Etys I was just listening at 100, very loud. With other recordings max volume 85. Could it be you have a problem with the cable Povidlo?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #1,176 of 2,743
We all have different ears but I also find it strange that Povidlo feels the E5000 underpowered in the balanced output. I do not have that problem at all with the E4000. Also, just a couple of days ago I received a balanced cable for my Etymotic Er4xr. They are not underpowered at all. They have 45 ohms impedance and 104 db sensitivity, so they should, at least on paper, be more difficult to drive than the E5000. With the Etys I was just listening at 100, very loud. With other recordings max volume 85. Could it be you have a problem with the cable Povidlo?
I don’t own e5000, please re-read the chain my friend.

I'm simply suggesting alternative options for whose who feel SR25 isn't powerful enough.

Dec 17, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #1,178 of 2,743
Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #1,179 of 2,743
Sorry Povidlo, it is zerogun who is not so happy with the power!

yes yes tis I!

Perhaps I should clarify, when compared to the desktop amp, it felt comparatively less energetic. It's still certainly enjoyable, but I experienced them differently. I should say that the SR25 probably has enough power out of the balanced for the E5000. That said, relative to the E5000 (IMO), a higher output would be more beneficial to those IEMs.

The SR25 is no slouch, but I think if I want a similar experience, I might well look into a dedicated external amp like those mentioned above. The Earmen TR-Amp has always caught my eye, but I'm a sucker for form factor as much as listening experience!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #1,180 of 2,743
I went the other way. I used the TR-Amp as a portable amp using my Ipad as source. By the time i got a CCK and USB on and then added IEM cables and tried to make all these cables fit in whatever defined area I was in at the time, it was just too unwieldy for me. I sent the TR-Amp back and purchased the SR25. I feel the SR25 performs as well or better and in a much more compact and usable form.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #1,181 of 2,743
Are there any plans for AK to introduce a dock / docking station specifically for the sr25?

If not what are you all using out there? Are there any third party docks that orient the screen in a reasonable way for desktop use?

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,182 of 2,743
Are there any plans for AK to introduce a dock / docking station specifically for the sr25?

If not what are you all using out there? Are there any third party docks that orient the screen in a reasonable way for desktop use?

I think Fiio has got one. I never tried it before but I think it will work with AK too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back