Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,157 of 2,745
Do yourself a favour and get a 2.5mm balanced cable... you'll thank me for it later :wink:
Never went down that road, but get many recommendations to do that! Next up!

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,158 of 2,745
Do yourself a favour and get a 2.5mm balanced cable... you'll thank me for it later :wink:

Majority of my cables are now 4.4 so
1607181329416.png
Solved, or can just get my cable maker to knock up a 2.5 - 4.4 pigtail :)

Q-6

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #1,159 of 2,745
I was wondering if any of you had any problems with regards to mounting your micro sd cards into the SR25? I think I read a post here in this thread that the slot for the micro sd card for the SR25 is fiddly and mounting micro sd cards will take couple of tries just for it to stay in the slot. Have any of you experienced this?

I reported that for me the insertion of the SD card is a bit fiddly. If you simply press on the card it won't spring into place...you have to press with your nail on the edge of the card so it goes deep enough and engages...even then you sort of have to guide it in and down. Took me a few tries but then I got it in. As I don't take the card in and out at all this is a minor infrequent annoyance. Once in the card is held in place well...no issues.

I wouldn't let that deter you from getting this DAP.

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,160 of 2,745
As mentioned previously, development is on hold indefinitely with no ETA at the moment on when it might be available.
Will Roon be supported someday in the SR25?

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,162 of 2,745
And I much prefer poweramp to the default A&K player, but no support either. I don't understand why all these long-time proved good applications, sometimes critical for the customers and used by a lot of us, are restricted or unsupported.
It someway leaves a taste of poor software development behind A&K DAPs line.

Dec 5, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #1,163 of 2,745
Hi guys, I've posted my full review of the SR25 over here. It's a great little piece of kit!

Very nice review! Couldn’t help but notice it was posted the same day as my M11 Pro was delivered lol. Hadn’t heard about the SR25 until a few days later but after seeing so many glowing reviews of it I can’t help but seem curious, despite enjoying the M11 Pro.

I know the M11 Pro was highly rated on Headfonia as well, wondering if you heard the M11 Pro? Seems most slightly prefer the sound of the SR25, but FiiO might beat it in battery and features.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #1,164 of 2,745
Does anyone have any experience using the SR25 with a pair of full-size headphones?

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #1,165 of 2,745
Does anyone have any experience using the SR25 with a pair of full-size headphones?
Yes uncle b. I use them regularly with my Denon Ah-d7200, fantastic. These are easy to drive but they scale with power and I prefer to use them out of the balanced output. I was just listening to Haydn cello concerto with Rostropovich and the pair of SR25 and the Denon are truly fantastic.
I also use Sennheiser HD599 balanced, vintage Denon Ah-d900 unbalanced and Sony Wh1000xm3 Bluetooth and unbalanced. All with good results, all easy to drive headphones.

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #1,166 of 2,745
Yes uncle b. I use them regularly with my Denon Ah-d7200, fantastic. These are easy to drive but they scale with power and I prefer to use them out of the balanced output. I was just listening to Haydn cello concerto with Rostropovich and the pair of SR25 and the Denon are truly fantastic.
I also use Sennheiser HD599 balanced, vintage Denon Ah-d900 unbalanced and Sony Wh1000xm3 Bluetooth and unbalanced. All with good results, all easy to drive headphones.
Awesome! Just the input I’ve needed! I like to keep things simple: not extra amps, docks or cables!

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,167 of 2,745
Awesome! Just the input I’ve needed! I like to keep things simple: not extra amps, docks or cables!
I do not have headphone amps. My favorite combination is SR25 line out to my 20 year old stereo Denon PMA 1500R to headphones Denon Ah -D7200. That is the best for me.
Sr25 direct balanced to Denon Ah-D7200 is already fantastic and the sound quality is at a very high level and it is what I usually use nowadays.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #1,168 of 2,745
I do not have headphone amps. My favorite combination is SR25 line out to my 20 year old stereo Denon PMA 1500R to headphones Denon Ah -D7200. That is the best for me.
Sr25 direct balanced to Denon Ah-D7200 is already fantastic and the sound quality is at a very high level and it is what I usually use nowadays.
It's slightly ironic to me that the SR25, being a portable device, also works very well as a line-out source to my home system (Virtue.two + Mission 754). It has me thinking of purchasing a used SR15 as a dedicated desktop source for my home system. The SR15 + Virtue.two T-amp combo will have a smaller footprint than most desktop headphone amp. :). These SR players are surprisingly capable multi-purpose music devices.

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #1,169 of 2,745
I continued checking some of my old IEM collection in combination with SR25 and found another big surprise. The RHA-MA750 exhibit a wonderful mid-centered sound that has impressed me for its transparency and coherency. It has a very nice timbre too. Worth checking, especially vocals.

IMG20201208131908.jpg

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #1,170 of 2,745
I continue digging my SR25 immensely as far as the sound quality is concerned. Lately all day with the Denon Ah-D7200 (what a match) and the Etymotic Er4Xr (again excellent pair) that have become my favourite 🎧 and iems respectively.
i am a big fan of the Sr25 except for the wifi range and performance. I like streaming my files from my pc and that was working fine for flac files that are not too large and provided I was not too far away from the wifi source. It did not work properly for large DSD files but I seem to have found a way around the problem. First, I increased the buffer time in the foobar2000 program in my windows 10 pc, that improved streaming considerably but I still had ocassional cuts and stops with large DSD files. That all is with the AKConnect. Then, I have tried to do the same with the foobar2000 app in the SR25 and ... no problem, stop or cut whatsoever. I have double checked with the same files, occasional cuts with AKconnect, no cuts with foobar2000. I hope this helps some other poor lost soul like myself fighting with the pc and streaming ...
There seems to be something not working right in the connection of the AKconnect and my pc, but luckily it works perfectly with the foorbar2000 app in the SR25. Maybe something for a future firmware update? Others have complained of connection problems with AKconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back