Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #1,141 of 2,745
Multiple SanDisk and Samsung SD cards, never had an issue with my SR25. Cards were formatted to FAT32 as per A&K recommendation.

Q-6

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #1,142 of 2,745
Wish I could say the same with my myriad SanDisk Ultra & Extreme cards (All different sizes) I’ve tried to use on my SR25!

Then it points more and more to the formatting method. Do you have any chance of using a windows computer or emulate it within your MAC?

I'm sorry because this little device deserves a nice experience... Would gladly offer you to do it with my computer if you were from Spain. Hope you can solve it soon.

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,144 of 2,745
I was wondering if any of you had any problems with regards to mounting your micro sd cards into the SR25? I think I read a post here in this thread that the slot for the micro sd card for the SR25 is fiddly and mounting micro sd cards will take couple of tries just for it to stay in the slot. Have any of you experienced this?
Up to now, I don´t have problems exchanging my micro sd cards, with my SR-25, I am using Sandisk 400Gb, PNY and Samsung Evo 512Gb. The SR-25 always reads them

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #1,145 of 2,745
Then it points more and more to the formatting method. Do you have any chance of using a windows computer or emulate it within your MAC?

I'm sorry because this little device deserves a nice experience... Would gladly offer you to do it with my computer if you were from Spain. Hope you can solve it soon.
I appreciate the offer! I’m dumbfounded by this disconnect, but a workaround is helping me enjoy the player. Let the record show A&K USA and the authorized seller I bought the SR25 from have been incredibly helpful with trying to get this sorted out! A&K USA made sure if I had any further issues or questions to let them and know and extended offer for further diagnosis and/or service at a later date, at my convenience. I grew tired of the shuttling back and forth of the SR25 for service and diagnosis during a time in the world when listening to great music is giving me (and probably everyone here!) much escape and satisfaction!

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,146 of 2,745
I got mine yesterday. I love it, tilted screen and all. In fact I think it is a work of art and this can teach the makers of smartphones a thing or two. The sound to me is beautiful, detailed and caresses the ears. It makes you want to listen more and more.

The only slight beauty spot is when loading apps. I get why they would not want a full blown android system with all the battery draining that involves but getting Tidal onto this was a pain. I tried to do this while at work and ran into various stumbling blocks. The AK didn't like the version of Tidal I was trying to download and when I finally had Tidal on it and logged on an error message appeared. I am computer literate and I never give up so this turned into a battle royal with factory resets, attempting to use different versions of Tidal, etc... I then took it home and everything worked first try once there. I think the company I work for has some kind of fire wall setting that got in the way. This is no fault of AK.

If there is anything to criticize about the sound I feel like it errs very slightly towards to polite side of the spectrum rather than the aggressive side. That is perfectly fine with me, and will probably be a bonus for long listening sessions.

So, in short, this thing is totally awesome, beautiful build, design and it sounds gorgeous. The price is excellent for what you get.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,147 of 2,745
I got mine yesterday. I love it, tilted screen and all. In fact I think it is a work of art and this can teach the makers of smartphones a thing or two. The sound to me is beautiful, detailed and caresses the ears. It makes you want to listen more and more.

The only slight beauty spot is when loading apps. I get why they would not want a full blown android system with all the battery draining that involves but getting Tidal onto this was a pain. I tried to do this while at work and ran into various stumbling blocks. The AK didn't like the version of Tidal I was trying to download and when I finally had Tidal on it and logged on an error message appeared. I am computer literate and I never give up so this turned into a battle royal with factory resets, attempting to use different versions of Tidal, etc... I then took it home and everything worked first try once there. I think the company I work for has some kind of fire wall setting that got in the way. This is no fault of AK.

If there is anything to criticize about the sound I feel like it errs very slightly towards to polite side of the spectrum rather than the aggressive side. That is perfectly fine with me, and will probably be a bonus for long listening sessions.

So, in short, this thing is totally awesome, beautiful build, design and it sounds gorgeous. The price is excellent for what you get.

Cannot agree more with your sound impressions. I'd say I would like a tad fuller sound because I listen a lot to hard rock and metal music, but when I switch to jazz and classic (mostly opera) I completely forget about it.

Regarding Tidal, I installed the standard app the second day and had no issues at all, so possibly you're right about some connection issue related to firewall or VPN

Edit: corrections

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #1,149 of 2,745
Sounds great with budget IEMs, too! :sunglasses:

20201203_153435.jpg

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,151 of 2,745
Let's go!

NCM Bella. Best match I tried so far:
IMG20201204001521.jpg

And a surprisingly good (and cheaper) match, with some remarkable soundstage. The LZ A4:
IMG20201204003325.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,153 of 2,745
sr25.jpg

While not exactly "cheap", I'm loving the SE535s with the SR25, especially with more mid-centric tunes like the Velvets. Early on I assumed I would need/want to upgrade to more expensive IEMs, and the new CA Dorado would be pretty great.

But for now this is plenty good enough, even with that cheap-ass Linsoul cable. I'm really happy to have a different type of sound to listen to from this vs my desktop rig, makes me appreciate the strengths of both all the more.

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #1,154 of 2,745
sr25.jpg

While not exactly "cheap", I'm loving the SE535s with the SR25, especially with more mid-centric tunes like the Velvets. Early on I assumed I would need/want to upgrade to more expensive IEMs, and the new CA Dorado would be pretty great.

But for now this is plenty good enough, even with that cheap-ass Linsoul cable. I'm really happy to have a different type of sound to listen to from this vs my desktop rig, makes me appreciate the strengths of both all the more.
Oh, “Loaded” such a classic!!!

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,155 of 2,745
9F970607-5CC0-42FD-87DA-7E3BFFF2033A.jpeg

SD card issues be damned, loving my SR25 along with the Campfire Audio ARA. Great, great portability, simplicity and sound!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back