Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 28, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #451 of 2,743
I have installed with XAPK installer Tidal version 2.26.1 and have just downloaded a playlist and everything seems to work just fine. i am now listening to it offline.
On another matter, I received Final E4000 iems and a balanced cable Linsoul Tripowin Zonie. I am very pleased with the AK sound and it goes beautifully with these iems for classical music.

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #452 of 2,743
I'm going to try again tomorrow. No time today with kids visiting. Finally!!!!! Thanks guys.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #453 of 2,743
1593454390095.png

Hi guys, i cant seem to get the Spotify app loaded on to my SR25, as above it is in the open service folder, then the dap is disconnected and it should be visible in the services folder alongside the pre-installed v-link, deezer and tidal. I have tried some different versions but no luck as yet . I am using a windows laptop and downloading the app from apk pure. Any ideas as to what i am doing wrong ? All help v much appreciated.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #454 of 2,743
1593454390095.png
Hi guys, i cant seem to get the Spotify app loaded on to my SR25, as above it is in the open service folder, then the dap is disconnected and it should be visible in the services folder alongside the pre-installed v-link, deezer and tidal. I have tried some different versions but no luck as yet . I am using a windows laptop and downloading the app from apk pure. Any ideas as to what i am doing wrong ? All help v much appreciated.
Since it is an XAPK, after you copy it to the OpenService folder, you need to install it using the XAPK installer app. If you do not have the XAPK installer app installed, please see these instructions - https://us.astellnkern.com/apps/help-center#!hc-do-astellkern-players-support-xapk-files

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 30, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #456 of 2,743
The 2.5mm Balanced output on the SR25 sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better that the single ended output with the Solaris SE. So much so that if I heard it via single ended when demoing I wouldn't have purchased it, out of the 2.5mm I would snatch it up. Worth giving it a go for those who haven't jumped on the balanced bandwagon yet!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #460 of 2,743
Pretty happy so far with the SR25. I gave it a full charge last Friday when I got home with it, been using it lightly since, and still have 25% battery.

I bought this primarily for the sound quality, and so far I'm very happy, especially with my (also new) CA Cascades.

However, maybe I'm just spoiled by 10+ years of iOS usage, but the UI and other 'quirks' of this device have got me scratching my head.
-I'm at my desk downstairs where my iPhone XS, iPad, MBP, and for that matter PS4 all seem to connect just fine to my WiFi. The SR25 shows a very low signal and drops off of WiFi from time to time. OK, so I can just go upstairs closer to the AP and it works better, but this is annoying.
-Bluetooth implementation is pretty crap on this thing, I mean when it scans devices it comes back with a list of MAC addresses??? Where are the device names, so I can choose my Shure BT1? Or any of the 3 other BT speakers I have? So far it's been a guessing game, and I haven't found the right one yet. While this isn't my primary use case for the device, and I'll of course use the wired Cascade Has 95% of the time anyway, it's still kind of annoying for a device that cost AUD1200.

I'm certainly not hating the SR25, but these kinds of things take the gloss off of what is otherwise a fine little device...

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #461 of 2,743
^^^As a fellow Mac user, and owner of an A&K device (120ii) for almost 6 years now, I get your point, believe me. I'm only interested in a DAP for offline use, with music files stored on the device/SD card. Aside from wanting wifi for software updating purposes, these streaming capabilities have no value to me, but alas, going forward, it's gonna get harder to find modern DAPs that don't have all the bells & whistles.

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #462 of 2,743
Pretty happy so far with the SR25. I gave it a full charge last Friday when I got home with it, been using it lightly since, and still have 25% battery.

I bought this primarily for the sound quality, and so far I'm very happy, especially with my (also new) CA Cascades.

However, maybe I'm just spoiled by 10+ years of iOS usage, but the UI and other 'quirks' of this device have got me scratching my head.
-I'm at my desk downstairs where my iPhone XS, iPad, MBP, and for that matter PS4 all seem to connect just fine to my WiFi. The SR25 shows a very low signal and drops off of WiFi from time to time. OK, so I can just go upstairs closer to the AP and it works better, but this is annoying.
-Bluetooth implementation is pretty crap on this thing, I mean when it scans devices it comes back with a list of MAC addresses??? Where are the device names, so I can choose my Shure BT1? Or any of the 3 other BT speakers I have? So far it's been a guessing game, and I haven't found the right one yet. While this isn't my primary use case for the device, and I'll of course use the wired Cascade Has 95% of the time anyway, it's still kind of annoying for a device that cost AUD1200.

I'm certainly not hating the SR25, but these kinds of things take the gloss off of what is otherwise a fine little device...

Oh, and one other grievance with the WiFi thing, is that the SR25 can almost never find my iPhone's hotspot, even when it's sitting on top of the phone. I'm thinking, 'well if I'm not so close to the AP, then at least the SR25 can tether to my phone, right??' sometimes yes, most times no...

Every other device in my house (PS4, Switch, Wii, many iPads, RaspberryPi's) can find my phone's hotspot no problem, but I've got to toggle it on and off a few times for the SR25 to maybe find it?
This is 2020 and devices like this should just work with Wifi...

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #463 of 2,743
Oh, and one other grievance with the WiFi thing, is that the SR25 can almost never find my iPhone's hotspot, even when it's sitting on top of the phone. I'm thinking, 'well if I'm not so close to the AP, then at least the SR25 can tether to my phone, right??' sometimes yes, most times no...

Every other device in my house (PS4, Switch, Wii, many iPads, RaspberryPi's) can find my phone's hotspot no problem, but I've got to toggle it on and off a few times for the SR25 to maybe find it?
This is 2020 and devices like this should just work with Wifi...

I also have ocasional problems with the wifi, sometimes loosing connection and the range is not so good.
Otherwise for me, sound quality and battery are both excellent!

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #464 of 2,743
I too have issues with it liking with my phone to use as wifi device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back