Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jan 17, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #2,117 of 2,727
Latest firmware was just released a couple of weeks ago on December 19th, v.1.33
Couldn't agree more. I bought my SR15 as a treat. It's a lot of money but it will be a top class machine, I thought. The sound is of course good, but the frequency of updates is shockingly bad. Broken promises, months of silence and still musing basic features.

I have bought myself a Hiby R6 and am much happier. I actually end up using it, rather than thinking it is more trouble than it's worth!
I was holding out for the Fiio M15, first preview on Headfonia doesn't look that great though, i suppose there is no perfect dap, im thinking about going to a Sony, i wish i never sold my mini-disc player to be honest!

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #2,119 of 2,727
Can we have a statement on Roon please Jason? Happening? Not happening? Throw us a bone eh?
unfortunately do not have any updates at the moment. I have asked our team and the Roon team for updates and still waiting for a response.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 20, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,120 of 2,727
unfortunately do not have any updates at the moment. I have asked our team and the Roon team for updates and still waiting for a response.

Daft question folks I have roon on trial on my home network, and love it. I have the sr15 for portable use outside home. Why should I be excited about a roon app on the sr15? If tidal plays directly from my sr15 is the benefit likely to be enhanced SQ with roon through it, or are folks hankering for it, excited by the meta data and application interface opportunities? Genuinely intrigued

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #2,121 of 2,727
Good question. I really like to sit on the couch and use my iPad to browse music in Roon and send it to wherever I want to listen to it. I can send the output to my Sonos, my 4 Bluesound systems, my iPhone, my computer, my whatever. Except for my SR15 (and sp1000m) because it is not qualified as an endpoint.

(Edited to be more clear)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #2,122 of 2,727
Good question. I really like to sit on the couch and use my iPad to browse music in Roon and send it to wherever i want to listen to it. Ie my SR15 and headphones (as an endpoint)

@JeroenTop Could you please describe how you send Roon to the SR15 from your iPad. I've played with the Roon trial and can send audio to many end points, including iOS devices, so I do a basic understanding of Roon. Thanks!

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #2,123 of 2,727
Problem with SR15. This is a fully updated unit. For the last month or so, I've noticed that when I unplug the unit from charging, and then hold down the button to turn it on, it doesn't.

I hold it down for 5-10-15 seconds, and nothing happens. No spinning A. I let go, and try again. This time, most of the time, it does turn on. Sometimes I have to try a third time, but usually the 2nd time it turns on.

What gives?

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #2,124 of 2,727
@JeroenTop Could you please describe how you send Roon to the SR15 from your iPad. I've played with the Roon trial and can send audio to many end points, including iOS devices, so I do a basic understanding of Roon. Thanks!
Hi, I can’t. I was replying to @gavamb. He was asking why anyone would like to use Roon with SR15 and I described my user story. Edited my answer to make that more clear

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #2,125 of 2,727
Problem with SR15. This is a fully updated unit. For the last month or so, I've noticed that when I unplug the unit from charging, and then hold down the button to turn it on, it doesn't.

I hold it down for 5-10-15 seconds, and nothing happens. No spinning A. I let go, and try again. This time, most of the time, it does turn on. Sometimes I have to try a third time, but usually the 2nd time it turns on.

What gives?

I'm experiencing the same. Not necessarily from charging but I'm having to hold the power button down for 20 plus seconds some times to get it to turn on.

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #2,126 of 2,727
I'm experiencing the same. Not necessarily from charging but I'm having to hold the power button down for 20 plus seconds some times to get it to turn on.
Same boat here.

@JasonNYC

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #2,127 of 2,727
+1

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #2,129 of 2,727
Hi, I can’t. I was replying to @gavamb. He was asking why anyone would like to use Roon with SR15 and I described my user story. Edited my answer to make that more clear

Thanks for the clarification @JeroenTop I thought I may have missed an update on A&K and Roon. My end goal is the same as your's, to have my A&K DAPS as Roon endpoints, but alas the year long "drama" from A&K about Roon certification is wearing thin, even for me.:disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back