Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jul 31, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #1,787 of 2,727
Unfortunately not. Jason confirmed on the KANN CUBE thread last Friday it’s not in this round of firmware updates.
Pfff. I hate this. I bought the SR15 in October because of the Roon promise before the end of the year 2018. Then Roon inclusion just missed the January firmware because Roon was too slow testing (said Jason). Now it is not in the July firmware. Is Roon integration still even on the roadmap?

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #1,789 of 2,727
Pfff. I hate this. I bought the SR15 in October because of the Roon promise before the end of the year 2018. Then Roon inclusion just missed the January firmware because Roon was too slow testing (said Jason). Now it is not in the July firmware. Is Roon integration still even on the roadmap?

Same with me. I still belive in this - thats why I bought KANN CUBE as second device beside SR15 but Roon is a must for me. Dont know what is stopping.
Its kind of obvious that people who own A&K are target guys for Roon and vice versa.

From my guts I got a feel that its because Roon Android app is lousy and hangs or restarts a lot. Its just a worst thing from Roon in their eco system. Perhaps for AK this was an issue and they would not go for this until sure that for 100% this will be stable. Of course then nobody from AK or Roon would say this out loud...

I dont think that @JasonNYC would even comment on this :wink: but lets try...

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #1,790 of 2,727
Is foobar2000 the first alternative player app via the open app service?
if so, we will probably have a player with a better equalizer that will also work in BT.

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #1,792 of 2,727
Anyone has updated SR15 to 1.15 firmware? What is the car mode function used for?

I got this out of box with Kann Cube. This is just simplified view of player.large cover, large buttons for next, pause, previous. That's it. Horizontal and vertical view.
Works only with internal player. Like new skin.

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #1,794 of 2,727
Well I’ve gotta say after having the SR15 for 3 weeks now I remain very underwhelmed.

There is no doubting the sleek design and great sound from the player. I just can’t help but feel this technology still needs time to develop an affordable & functional DAP.

I have a week to decide whether I will be returning the unit. I am still choosing to listen to music via my iPhone through FiiO Q5 and have also recently purchased the amazing Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt.

I much prefer the functionality of my phone with Tidal app and VOX for files in my cloud. And the sound is every bit as good (if not slightly better) than SR15.

For the prices of these DAPs it raises expectations and ultimately leads to disappointment, at least for me.

I would be tempted to splash out further and try a more expensive DAP but I can only feel the tech needs another year or two to reach the quality you would expect.

The battery life on these units is poor and even loses significant charge when the SR15 is switched off.

The unit gets to hot sometimes I don’t know how this passed safety standards tbh.

Someone talk me round lol

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #1,795 of 2,727
I got Q5 and moved to SR15 only for DAP functions. If you prefer phone to use as source then I would say that Q5 can sound even better...

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #1,796 of 2,727
Thanks for the firmware update. I have added the Last.fm app but it doesn't seem to scrobble when I'm playing tracks. Is there anything I need to do to enable this?

Also, I went to install a few more apps and it says there is a limit of four that can be installed at the same time. Is there any plan to raise the limit in the future? I was excited to have all my favourite music, audiobook and radio apps on there after the new firmware anouncement, but at the minute I am stuck with just a few.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,797 of 2,727

From Jason on July 10th (post #1,682 on this thread) regarding Roon:
No new news yet. Last I was told about two weeks ago was that it was 98% complete and a revised firmware was being submitted to Roon for testing last week. I will follow up again.

Hopefully this means it's on Roon's end at this point since it's been 3 weeks since the above update. Any updates on Roon @JasonNYC?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #1,798 of 2,727
gonna test if they fixed the usb static issue

usb mode is broken, non of the usb connections work

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back