Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #1,441 of 2,727
Thanks for the response. That was my thinking. Heard Fiio are pretty good too. It's just such a big investment to go in blind(deaf). But these DAP's are just not stocked anywhere. Online purchase is my only option.

How do you compare the fiio sound quality with that of the A&k

For my experience the soundquality dramatically increased by switching from the X5III to the Sr15. My Ultrasone Edition M Plus opened up so nicely, and hence I used it with the FiiO allready balanced. I will never switch back again, A&K has me now as a new customer!
And not to forget I mostly quit to FiiO because of it's terrible software, ui and Supportbehavior.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #1,442 of 2,727
Hi, I need some help.
I bought a cable to connect my SR15 via USB to my car. That works, I can access all my 500Gb music via my cars MMI.
When I play some music via apk (I use Qobuz), I cannot get that to work. It just plays the music via the headphone output it seems and not via USB.
When I connect my iPhone to the same MMI and I play some music, it works like expected.
Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to use the USB as output for the apk apps?
Thanks! Jeroen

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #1,443 of 2,727
Thanks for such thorough review. I’ve also noticed some degradation of SQ in open service Tidal vs stock app. Could you please try to install some pre-MQA version, released in 2018? Will it make any difference in sampling rates?

Perhaps I'll try that, but I fear I'd have to redownload all my offline files again... It's funny you suggested this. I thought that the sound quality from the tidal apk went down slightly after they made it gapless with no way to turn it off .my hunch is that another software mixer within tidal apk is used to achieve the gapless and that's causing a slight sq decrease.

UAPP apk doesn't seem to be supported.

Yeah sorry I shouldve mentioned this was done with my hiby r6. Tidal apk offline files vs streaming in uapp. It was just a general observation about the apk not necessarily about the sr15

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #1,444 of 2,727
Strange. I don't have this behaviour. For me Tidal APK and Tidal stock both 44.1 on Mojo. Did you set your audio settings in the apps to HiFi or Master? In HiFi (what I use) it stays as 44.1 in both apps. I don't bother with Master/MQA.

I believe when I did the experiment I did indeed have it set to master in the tidal settings . That would explain the 2x sample rate! Ahhh you're on to something man!

Edit... Yes I changed it to HiFi vs master and via USB out I'm getting true 44.1

Thank you much for the suggestion

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,448 of 2,727
Update: I've turned on Wheel Lock setting for the first time just to check this behavior.
Then I've turned this setting off, but looks like it's still active - the wheel doesn't work, when the screen is off. Bug?

Yep mine too, must be a bug in the latest firmware. I'm sure AK will button in up in the next firmware- I'll report it.

I know it worked before.

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #1,449 of 2,727
I've tested this feature more, looks like the logic is following:
- Wheel Lock Off, Screen On, Play/Pause - wheel works;
- Wheel Lock Off, Screen Off, Pause - wheel doesn't work; <--------- is it correct?
- Wheel Lock Off, Screen Off, Play - wheel works;
- Wheel Lock On, Screen On, Play/Pause - wheel works;
- Wheel Lock On, Screen Off, Play/Pause - wheel doesn't work;

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #1,450 of 2,727
I've tested this feature more, looks like the logic is following:
- Wheel Lock Off, Screen On, Play/Pause - wheel works;
- Wheel Lock Off, Screen Off, Pause - wheel doesn't work; <--------- is it correct?
- Wheel Lock Off, Screen Off, Play - wheel works;
- Wheel Lock On, Screen On, Play/Pause - wheel works;
- Wheel Lock On, Screen Off, Play/Pause - wheel doesn't work;

Nope it's a bug, with wheel lock ON the wheel shouldn't register any input when the screen is off.

Afaik play/pause shouldn't be affected at all.

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #1,451 of 2,727
@JasonNYC I've noticed the sample rate and format sometimes does not update correctly on the main screen. I've only noticed it now after playing one of the MQS files that come as samples on the device, it gets stuck on displaying 2.8MHz/DFF no matter what file is played afterwards.

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,452 of 2,727
Just like to report a behavior I noticed with my SR15. While playing music from my library with shuffle enabled, the transition from a regular red book FLAC or ALAC format to a higher bit rate like 24 Bit 96 I hear a static noise for a split second. Does anybody else get that noise?

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #1,453 of 2,727
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond I Was kind of leaning towards the A&K based on the reviews and on the A&K being a dedicated music player as opposed to the Hiby R6 pro having the same experience albeit havIng full android on top. That in itself could be a disappointment as I said because of the smartphone i have. No matter how good the android experience it couldn't compete with the note 9 with the exception of audio quality. I'd Rather have the music interface alone built on Android without the social updates emails games video services etc.

I have struggled to understand complaints about battery life when the battery lasts upwards of 8 hours. I can only imagine being away from a power source for longer than that on a long haul flight or train journey where I'd be using a power bank. So battery life of the SR 15 is not an issue.

Also I own some Samson Open back headphones, Bose QC15s, Senheiser Momentum on ear, And Sony WH-1000XM3's which to my ear sound amazing. Will In ear monitors offer up more detailed sound than any of these and are they offering a better experience?

While in the office, I use my Sony MDR--1000X with NC on but with a wire with the SR15 and I'm amazed of the sound quality I'm hearing. SR15 is highly recommended.

Apr 2, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #1,454 of 2,727
just got my SR15 couple days ago, I can only say everything is better than acoustic research AR-M2, minus the driving power, that M2 dominates (and noise floor lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back