Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #1,246 of 2,727
Thanks Jason.
The Qobuz app for Android is also a work in progress. As they release new versions to optimize it and make it more efficient, you will probably see better battery times. There were a few previous versions that were not optimized and there was greater battery drain seen when using it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 12, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,247 of 2,727
Yeah, I get about 6-7 hrs on balanced, volume 60-70, playing mostly 24.96 flacs and wavs. WI-FI turned off and not much screen time.
I should test playing 24.192 files as the SR gets a bit warmer then. So it's safe to assume it will affect battery drain..

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #1,248 of 2,727
I decided to take the plunge on a pair of AK T5P Special Editions to mate with my SR15. I can say that the care by Beyerdynamic in tuning these to AK's house sound has paid off. They are a magical pairing with the SR15. And, easy to drive, preserving battery life.

Here's an image:

IMG_1731.jpg

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,249 of 2,727
I decided to take the plunge on a pair of AK T5P Special Editions to mate with my SR15. I can say that the care by Beyerdynamic in tuning these to AK's house sound has paid off. They are a magical pairing with the SR15. And, easy to drive, preserving battery life.

Here's an image:

Are they as comfy as they look? I’m convinced of their Tesla tech after using the akt8ieii. That’s a lot of bread though :) I’ve heard the hd 660s and they sound great. Those come with a balanced cable right?

I’m assuming you have been listening balanced. Can you give a quick summery on the sound sig?

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,250 of 2,727
Are they as comfy as they look? I’m convinced of their Tesla tech after using the akt8ieii. That’s a lot of bread though :) I’ve heard the hd 660s and they sound great. Those come with a balanced cable right?

I’m assuming you have been listening balanced. Can you give a quick summery on the sound sig?

They are comfy. And, light. They're expensive though; it hurt just a little (maybe more) to buy them. I knew, however, I'd end up purchasing a case and balanced cable and factored this into my decision. I also wanted to use them with my Bottlehead Mainline. As a result, I ordered a 2.5mm TRRS-to-XLR adapter. One thing I have to note: The packaging was not what I would expect from such an expensive, presumably exclusive and German product. The case is floating around in the box with no plastic bag to protect it and the 3.5mm adapter is loose inside the case. By way of comparison, the adapter I referenced was encased in a ziploc bag, inside a Pelican-like box, inside a ziploc bag, inside a fitted bubble-wrap bag. Maybe a bit of overkill, but it was a $38 item. Or, compare this to Oppo, who know how to deliver customer experience. Can't complain about the phones, though. They sound amazing!

Feb 12, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #1,251 of 2,727
They are comfy. And, light. They're expensive though; it hurt just a little (maybe more) to buy them. I knew, however, I'd end up purchasing a case and balanced cable and factored this into my decision. I also wanted to use them with my Bottlehead Mainline. As a result, I ordered a 2.5mm TRRS-to-XLR adapter. One thing I have to note: The packaging was not what I would expect from such an expensive, presumably exclusive and German product. The case is floating around in the box with no plastic bag to protect it and the 3.5mm adapter is loose inside the case. By way of comparison, the adapter I referenced was encased in a ziploc bag, inside a Pelican-like box, inside a ziploc bag, inside a fitted bubble-wrap bag. Maybe a bit of overkill, but it was a $38 item. Or, compare this to Oppo, who know how to deliver customer experience. Can't complain about the phones, though. They sound amazing!

Wow is that the cable they came with? Nice:)

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,252 of 2,727
Wow is that the cable they came with? Nice:)

Yes, it is. It’s one of the reasons I opted for the Special Edition. Figured I’d end up buying something like it anyway. There’s detailed info on AK’s website about the phones and cable.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,255 of 2,727
I am starting to prefer the sound from SE compared to balance for iem.

I think the balance goes loud too quickly while the volume of SE can be fine tuned.

So I've been playing with mine between Campfire Comet IEMs in balanced mode (Fiio cable) and Sennheiser HD6XX SE mode. I just switched the Campfire cable back to the stock SE (copper Litz) and I can't believe how much better things sound. The stage is considerably wider and tonally deeper now. I don't think this is a balanced vs SE detail as much as the quality of that fiio cable which I think was about 30 bucks. I honestly feel as though I am listening to different headphones right now.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #1,256 of 2,727
So I've been playing with mine between Campfire Comet IEMs in balanced mode (Fiio cable) and Sennheiser HD6XX SE mode. I just switched the Campfire cable back to the stock SE (copper Litz) and I can't believe how much better things sound. The stage is considerably wider and tonally deeper now. I don't think this is a balanced vs SE detail as much as the quality of that fiio cable which I think was about 30 bucks. I honestly feel as though I am listening to different headphones right now.

I had the exact same experience as you. I too swapped back to stock ofc cable and everything became more articulated.

I think sr15 loves copper more than silvers.

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #1,258 of 2,727
Today my balanced cable for the HD 6xx arrived and aside from a quick test on the mytek brooklyn dac+ (amazingly good) I also used a 4-pint to 2.5 cable to test the SR15 and it's super sharp this way. While not practical in a truly mobile context, it's pretty great for moving around the house. There's much more presence and depth to the sound ... seems like the SR15 can really drive it up as much as you can offer. So happy with this purchase!

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #1,260 of 2,727
Any info what exactly comes corrected in new 1.14 firmware that was released yesterday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back