Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 11, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #1,234 of 2,727
Wow.. a DAP that does bit-perfect Tidal offline with EQ. I thought it was too good to be true, but then I bought one. It's for real. My only gripe is the lackluster battery life and the fact that you can't quick charge it. But c'mon, this is the closest I've come to perfect sound for someone who mainly uses Tidal as their source tracks and doesn't always have wifi.

One thing for sure true to the other 2 AKs I’ve used, the EQ really neuters the sound and is useless imo.
The EQ does nothing to dynamics, or reduce resolution IMO. It drops pre-gain by 6db so you don't clip - you have to compensate by turning up the volume. If used correctly, it is very transparent and helps correct minor issues that ear canal resonances produce. It wish it was fully parametric however. As of now, you can only change the Q values so much and the frequencies for the filter are fixed, not user definable. But I'm still able to balance out my IEMs pretty good. For example, my Oriolus mk2 has a peak at 4k (for my ears) and I'm able to dial that back just a tad, and I boost 16k a tad to bring out more air. The changes take a very good listening experience and turn it into a very linear, phenomenal one.

If I had to guess, the EQ filters are being processed at 32bit floating point, thus retaining full resolution of just about any source material you throw at it. I sincerely doubt AK is going to compromise their DAPs with a substandard EQ solution. Yes, you take a slight battery hit because of the added processing and the increased volume, but man is it worth it.

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #1,235 of 2,727
Wow.. a DAP that does bit-perfect Tidal offline with EQ. I thought it was too good to be true, but then I bought one. It's for real. My only gripe is the lackluster battery life and the fact that you can't quick charge it. But c'mon, this is the closest I've come to perfect sound for someone who mainly uses Tidal as their source tracks and doesn't always have wifi.

The EQ does nothing to dynamics, or reduce resolution IMO. It drops pre-gain by 6db so you don't clip - you have to compensate by turning up the volume. If used correctly, it is very transparent and helps correct minor issues that ear canal resonances produce. It wish it was fully parametric however. As of now, you can only change the Q values so much and the frequencies for the filter are fixed, not user definable. But I'm still able to balance out my IEMs pretty good. For example, my Oriolus mk2 has a peak at 4k (for my ears) and I'm able to dial that back just a tad, and I boost 16k a tad to bring out more air. The changes take a very good listening experience and turn it into a very linear, phenomenal one.

If I had to guess, the EQ filters are being processed at 32bit floating point, thus retaining full resolution of just about any source material you throw at it. I sincerely doubt AK is going to compromise their DAPs with a substandard EQ solution. Yes, you take a slight battery hit because of the added processing and the increased volume, but man is it worth it.

Even if I raise the volume and boost highs it still sounds lifeless compared to no EQ. Just like a veil has been thrown over everything especially the highs.

Hey I’m glad your happy with it, but I like the way Sony and Cowon, and hiby, or rock box implement Eq- no dB reduction and no clipping. Luckily I love the ‘base’ sound and everything I have sounds amazing with it.

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #1,236 of 2,727
Got a Koss Portapro recabled for balanced with copper litz and it sounds great, there is more control and definition, better texture, couldn't ask for more.

IMG_20190212_184538.jpg

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #1,237 of 2,727
Hello friends of this forum,
I have recently bought a SR15 (in Spain) and I love it: great sound and I like the design.
In the SR15 manual says that it takes 'up to 8 hours' to full charge the SR15 (from 0% aprox) when connected to the computer and up to 4 hours through a recommended wall charger (2 A and 5 v). In my case it take almost 4 hours by the MAC and less than two hours by the recommanded wall charger. I appreciate too that the battery discharges very quickly (non balanced earphones). Could be the battery defective? Should I replace the SR15? Maybe Jason or somebody could tell me if the normal time to charge is that the manual says.

Many many thanks.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,238 of 2,727
Hi,
can I somehow see what is playing at my SR15 with any Windows or browser app?
I would like to control SR15 from my desktop at work without looking at it. If possible.
Volume Up/Down, pause, next/prev track is enough for me but full control would be great.
Using Tidal mostly (via installed app) if this also can give some options.
I know there is some kind of AK connect app but its for Andoid/iOS only?

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #1,239 of 2,727
I have recently bought a SR15 (in Spain) and I love it: great sound and I like the design.
In the SR15 manual says that it takes 'up to 8 hours' to full charge the SR15 (from 0% aprox) when connected to the computer and up to 4 hours through a recommended wall charger (2 A and 5 v). In my case it take almost 4 hours by the MAC and less than two hours by the recommanded wall charger. I appreciate too that the battery discharges very quickly (non balanced earphones). Could be the battery defective? Should I replace the SR15? Maybe Jason or somebody could tell me if the normal time to charge is that the manual says.

Many many thanks.

Charging time in your case is quite normal and on par with what I get.

"I appreciate too that the battery discharges very quickly" - how quickly is that (and at what volume)?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,241 of 2,727

Many many thanks.
We say it could take up to 8 hours to charge via computer as some computer USB ports charge slower than others, especially if you are using front USB ports on a desktop since they are usually not connected directly to the computer motherboard. Your charging times are normal.

You mention the battery discharges quickly, but do not mention specific times. How long does it take to discharge from a full charge? What type of files are you playing? How long is the screen on for? Do you have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi turned on? All of these things will affect battery life.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #1,242 of 2,727
I've personally noted the following in my travels with the SR15.
my SR15 is 100% when i leave my condo. I turn off the screen, put it in my jacket pocket and go about my commute to work.
my entire commute to work takes roughly 1hr.
When i get to work, and turn the screen on, i notice it will be at 89-90% battery.

Screen brightness: 0
Wifi: off
Bluetooth: off
File types: 16bit/44.1 FLAC
Output: Single Ended with a Bang & Olufsen H6 (2nd generation)
Average volume output: 60 - 75 depending on song intensity.

I'm aware due to its compact design, this is possibly the best battery life per hour i'll get of music listening? i could be wrong.
@JasonNYC do you think this is about average battery life for the SR15?

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #1,243 of 2,727
Thank you Jason. I am happy the charging time would be normal.
Concerning the battery, as I wrote before it takes about 5.5 hours to discharge. Mainly I use the sr15 for streaming Qobuz. Files 16/44 and 24/96. And the earphones are connected to 3.5 mm.. The streaming is wifi way and the screen is normaly off. Is it normal?

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #1,244 of 2,727
Thank you Jason. I am happy the charging time would be normal.
Concerning the battery, as I wrote before it takes about 5.5 hours to discharge. Mainly I use the sr15 for streaming Qobuz. Files 16/44 and 24/96. And the earphones are connected to 3.5 mm.. The streaming is wifi way and the screen is normaly off. Is it normal?
6 - 8 hours is typical for the SR15, but of course, battery life will vary depending on what you are playing and how you are playing it. Using streaming apps via the Open App system such as Qobuz will use more battery as there is additional CPU processing power required for the apps and you are using Wi-Fi. 5.5 hours is well within range.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back