Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 10, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #1,217 of 2,727
For s*&%s and grins:
  • The New - SR15 with iSine20s and balanced Lavricables
  • The New and Old - SR15, etc. vs. iPod Nano 3rd Gen. + RSA Tomahawk + Shure SE530s

I too am looking forward to using my 20’s balanced in the 15! I have the Sennheiser 660 S balanced and it was a first listening to to the 15 through balanced and was blown away at the soundstage and the increase in dynamics that are heard!

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,218 of 2,727
Man that sucks, I just compared it to the Shanling M5s which is nice, but the sound is just clearer and more detailed on the SR15. And the UI is better and the build quality is better.

Battery life is better on the Shanling though.

I’m burning in the Shanling to see if the sound perks up- but it’s acting funny right now.

Pics for size comparison

I have the M5S and am trying to decide if I should have gotten the SR15. I see you have both ... What's the real battery life difference? How are you finding charging speed on the SR15 ... that micro USB vs type-c thing bugs me, but not sure if it really even matters. Local dealer has the SR15 and am debating just heading back today to swap.

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #1,219 of 2,727
Anybody here from Germany who can give a recommendation where to buy the Sr 15. Thank you.
PS. Compared to the fiio M9. Where do you see advantages that justify the doubled price?
Amazon.fr

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,220 of 2,727
I have the M5S and am trying to decide if I should have gotten the SR15. I see you have both ... What's the real battery life difference? How are you finding charging speed on the SR15 ... that micro USB vs type-c thing bugs me, but not sure if it really even matters. Local dealer has the SR15 and am debating just heading back today to swap.

The real battery difference is about 3 hours more on the M5s from what I remember. I get about 8 or 9 on SE out on SR-15 and maybe 7 ish or 6ish on balanced. I didn’t keep M5s- I liked ST-15 more despite the lesser battery life.

I liked the sound better and having Tidal. The SR15 sounded more livelier- especially on bakanced. Not that M5s sounds bad, I just like the presentation more on the AK.

Feb 10, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,221 of 2,727
The real battery difference is about 3 hours more on the M5s from what I remember. I get about 8 or 9 on SE out on SR-15 and maybe 7 ish or 6ish on balanced. I didn’t keep M5s- I liked ST-15 more despite the lesser battery life.

I liked the sound better and having Tidal. The SR15 sounded more livelier- especially on bakanced. Not that M5s sounds bad, I just like the presentation more on the AK.

Thank you. Think I’m making myself crazy.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #1,223 of 2,727
I have some questions about the SR15 I was hoping people could answer ...

First I've been having some strange issue with my SD Card on the Shanling M5S and it's making me crazy ... mostly the card won't fully index. It's a 400GB Card with about 330GB of tunes on there mostly FLAC with some DSD as well. When it does index the process takes forever ... like many many minutes. How is that on the AK?

On the interface .. if you are looking at a song, can you pivot to an album or an artist? I love doing that on the desktop via Roon and miss the flexibility as much as I am enjoying the concept of so much in my pocket.

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,224 of 2,727
Yes initially bought m9. Encounter few issues so I thot I change to fiio flagship x7m2 same also. Maybe I was unlucky.
Now with sr15 so much better.
I had the X5III and was considering going for the X7II but after dealing with fiio's glitchy software i couldnt take it.
i'm now in A&K camp for portable DAP.
And im loving it lol! eventually when the SR15 has ran its life cycle (maybe in 2-3 years from now) i'll buy another A&K DAP but at a higher price point because i feel a bit reassured in the quality which i didnt have in Fiio.

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #1,225 of 2,727
Anybody here from Germany who can give a recommendation where to buy the Sr 15. Thank you.
PS. Compared to the fiio M9. Where do you see advantages that justify the doubled price?
I'd owned M9. The price difference is fair if you want very detailed sound imaging and airy and musically sounding DAP especially on the balanced output. If you are happy with mostly neutral sound and lacklustre sound imaging M9 is actually an excellent DAP, again better on the balanced out.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #1,226 of 2,727
I have some questions about the SR15 I was hoping people could answer ...

First I've been having some strange issue with my SD Card on the Shanling M5S and it's making me crazy ... mostly the card won't fully index. It's a 400GB Card with about 330GB of tunes on there mostly FLAC with some DSD as well. When it does index the process takes forever ... like many many minutes. How is that on the AK?

On the interface .. if you are looking at a song, can you pivot to an album or an artist? I love doing that on the desktop via Roon and miss the flexibility as much as I am enjoying the concept of so much in my pocket.

Thanks!

Went back into NYC today and swapped myShanling M5s for the SR15. This thing is superior on every level so far. Build quality is phenominal, hand feel is terrific (got the case) and control and navigation are awesome. My card was indexed immediately and even though there was only 17% battery on first power-up I was prepared in the car and enjoyed some tunes on the way home. Since getting home, I'm just continuing to realize how well considered this product is compared to what I've seen from other brands. The level of touch across things is great! I love that the AK Connect apps see my network devices with zero effort and that I can choose to control the SR15 from an iPhone or iPad simply as well. I cannot detect any half measure here ... A+

Of course the sound, the most important aspect is also excellent. I appreciate it will likely warm up a bit with some use, but out of the box compared to the shanling it's just better. Richer, deeper and tonaly impressive by comparison. It is almost 2x the price, but the value certainly appears to be there!

I'm listening to my Sennheisser HD6xx (3.5) and was using the Campfire Comets balanced earlier. Just great!

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,227 of 2,727
Went back into NYC today and swapped myShanling M5s for the SR15. This thing is superior on every level so far. Build quality is phenominal, hand feel is terrific (got the case) and control and navigation are awesome. My card was indexed immediately and even though there was only 17% battery on first power-up I was prepared in the car and enjoyed some tunes on the way home. Since getting home, I'm just continuing to realize how well considered this product is compared to what I've seen from other brands. The level of touch across things is great! I love that the AK Connect apps see my network devices with zero effort and that I can choose to control the SR15 from an iPhone or iPad simply as well. I cannot detect any half measure here ... A+

Of course the sound, the most important aspect is also excellent. I appreciate it will likely warm up a bit with some use, but out of the box compared to the shanling it's just better. Richer, deeper and tonaly impressive by comparison. It is almost 2x the price, but the value certainly appears to be there!

I'm listening to my Sennheisser HD6xx (3.5) and was using the Campfire Comets balanced earlier. Just great!

That’s exactly how I felt, the M5s is very nice but after hearing and using SR15 it just doesn’t cut it. The layering and positioning in the sound stage is much better on the SR15 and the tone is also better, the treble is more resolving as are the mids.

I don’t think there is much that can compete with it in it’s price range. Especially since it has that musicality and AK perfect timing. And I don’t like too neutral like ibasso 200 or Fiio x7ii either. Build quality is really excellent also.

Sony wm 1A is good but no tidal, and tidal sounds utterly fantastic on SR-15.

Anyways enjoy, and it will get better :wink:

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #1,228 of 2,727
That’s exactly how I felt, the M5s is very nice but after hearing and using SR15 it just doesn’t cut it. The layering and positioning in the sound stage is much better on the SR15 and the tone is also better, the treble is more resolving as are the mids.

I don’t think there is much that can compete with it in it’s price range. Especially since it has that musicality and AK perfect timing. And I don’t like too neutral like ibasso 200 or Fiio x7ii either. Build quality is really excellent also.

Sony wm 1A is good but no tidal, and tidal sounds utterly fantastic on SR-15.

Anyways enjoy, and it will get better :wink:

Right on - yeah the only price competitor I think is the not the WM 1A, but the ZX300. In the end though having a few extensible bits like Tidal and soon Roon put me towards the AK and I'm very pleased with the decision!

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #1,229 of 2,727
Right on - yeah the only price competitor I think is the not the WM 1A, but the ZX300. In the end though having a few extensible bits like Tidal and soon Roon put me towards the AK and I'm very pleased with the decision!

Yep, I said the 1A because I think the sound is more comparable to the AK, I know the price is higher. But you’re right ZX300 is the logical competition.

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,230 of 2,727
Connect your Sennheisser HD6xx in balanced mode and prepare to be amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back