Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 22, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,291 of 2,727
Hi All,

Does anyone have any views on a good set of on-ear headphones to pair with SR15.

I've had the SR15 for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. I'm using it with a pair of AKG N40 in-ear phones that I got for c.£200 and am using a balanced cable. It sounds fantastic on these, and moving to the balanced cable I thought improved them further.

The problem is, while I love the sound of the N40s, I feel like they sit too far into my ear and it irritates me. I'm usually on the move when I listen to music, and think over-ear headphones will be a little too bulky for me, so was considering on-ear headphones instead, around the same kind of price as my AKGs, or maybe a little more.

I liked the sound of the balanced output, though all the on-ear headphones I've looked at only ever seem to have the standard 3.5mm connection.

Any suggestions for a good pair?

Cheers.

You can try BGVP DM6 or Fearless S6 Rui (mine is still on order) within that £200 price range. I have the DM6 and it pairs pretty well with the SR15 although my Campfire Andromeda is my weapon of choice for the SR15. Of course this is only my personal opinion.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #1,292 of 2,727
You can try BGVP DM6 or Fearless S6 Rui (mine is still on order) within that £200 price range. I have the DM6 and it pairs pretty well with the SR15 although my Campfire Andromeda is my weapon of choice for the SR15. Of course this is only my personal opinion.

Thanks for those suggestions...ive already got the AKG N40s which are great In-ears I think, so I was hoping for any thoughts on good On-ear headphones, rather than In-ears or Over-ears.
Cheers.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #1,294 of 2,727
IMG_20190224_040000.jpg

The charcoal gray sleeve is great.

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,295 of 2,727
Hi All,

Does anyone have any views on a good set of on-ear headphones to pair with SR15.

I've had the SR15 for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. I'm using it with a pair of AKG N40 in-ear phones that I got for c.£200 and am using a balanced cable. It sounds fantastic on these, and moving to the balanced cable I thought improved them further.

The problem is, while I love the sound of the N40s, I feel like they sit too far into my ear and it irritates me. I'm usually on the move when I listen to music, and think over-ear headphones will be a little too bulky for me, so was considering on-ear headphones instead, around the same kind of price as my AKGs, or maybe a little more.

I liked the sound of the balanced output, though all the on-ear headphones I've looked at only ever seem to have the standard 3.5mm connection.

Any suggestions for a good pair?

Cheers.

I use Beyerdynamic Xelento, and AKG K3003, both sound very good with the SR15.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,296 of 2,727
I am having major issues with the side-loaded Tidal app. Offline, it works fine for some time... then, suddenly, major stuttering, lag and noise: useable.

I have done a factory reset and installed, twice, the latest version of Tidal (apk)... with the same result. The issue is also in ONLINE mode with some albums.

?

p.s. I will try with older version of Tidal.

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,300 of 2,727
Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 24, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #1,302 of 2,727
I am having major issues with the side-loaded Tidal app. Offline, it works fine for some time... then, suddenly, major stuttering, lag and noise: useable.

I have done a factory reset and installed, twice, the latest version of Tidal (apk)... with the same result. The issue is also in ONLINE mode with some albums.

?

I use the apk Tidal version that comes preloaded with the AK skin from their android build. Currently version 2.11.0. So I'm using what I believe to be the 'approved' or 'whitelisted' version by AK. Every once in a while I get a soft buzzing distortion noise that plays in the background with the music. It's very noticeable, but not so loud it hurts my ears or anything. It happens when the music changes on its own to a new track (offline mode). A skip forward then back corrects the issue only sometimes. Other times I have to pick a different album - play it - the switch back to the first album - to get it to play normal again. Happens rarely so it's not a dealbreaker, but I wonder if it's an SD card read error? Perhaps a reformat of the card, or a better quality card would alleviate this?

@JasonNYC - is this a known bug or can you at least offer any conjecture that would explain it? I'm using this card:

Sandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA

I also have a Samsung card I can try, but that card is not on the recommended list per the AK manual. Jason, may I try this card to see if there is an improvement?

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #1,303 of 2,727
I use the apk Tidal version that comes preloaded with the AK skin from their android build. Currently version 2.11.0. So I'm using what I believe to be the 'approved' or 'whitelisted' version by AK.

I am not sure I understand which apk version of Tidal you are using. Is it the standard Android 2.11.0 version that was released, by Tidal, at the beginning of January?

By the way, my version of the preloaded AK Tidal is 1.7.

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #1,304 of 2,727

?

I had a similar experience today. Mind you I’ve only had the player since Friday and haven’t had too much listening time with it. It’s been fine for the short time I’ve had with it so far, but this afternoon I’ve been experiencing crazy stuttering with Tidal streaming. I’m confident it’s not my home WiFi (1Gb internet). I turned the unit off and back on and everything seems okay again (about 5 songs in). I searched this thread to see if anyone else experienced similar. Hopefully it was a server on Tidal’s end or something and all is resolved.

EDIT: Okay something’s definitely up. Turns out streaming is fine, it’s tracks that have been downloaded that are having issues. In offline mode some songs aren’t available when I try to play them. Some play fine. The downloaded ones that aren’t available offline, when I play them online they stutter like mad. Removed my SD card and tried again and streams perfectly.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #1,305 of 2,727
I use the apk Tidal version that comes preloaded with the AK skin from their android build. Currently version 2.11.0. So I'm using what I believe to be the 'approved' or 'whitelisted' version by AK. Every once in a while I get a soft buzzing distortion noise that plays in the background with the music. It's very noticeable, but not so loud it hurts my ears or anything. It happens when the music changes on its own to a new track (offline mode). A skip forward then back corrects the issue only sometimes. Other times I have to pick a different album - play it - the switch back to the first album - to get it to play normal again. Happens rarely so it's not a dealbreaker, but I wonder if it's an SD card read error? Perhaps a reformat of the card, or a better quality card would alleviate this?

@JasonNYC - is this a known bug or can you at least offer any conjecture that would explain it? I'm using this card:

Sandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA

I also have a Samsung card I can try, but that card is not on the recommended list per the AK manual. Jason, may I try this card to see if there is an improvement?

I am not sure I understand which apk version of Tidal you are using. Is it the standard Android 2.11.0 version that was released, by Tidal, at the beginning of January?

By the way, my version of the preloaded AK Tidal is 1.7.

I just upgraded to the APK Tidal 2.11.4 version earlier this week and haven't had any issues on either my SR15 or SP1000M with offline playback. Occasionally I have pauses during streaming, but I also have pauses with the desktop Tidal app as well - I factor in ISP bullcrap as there are times it's takes forever just to load sites. BTW, my connection speed is 200Mbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back