Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jun 25, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #2,386 of 2,727
Is the streaming music service running in the background? If it is, most of them check in with their servers periodically which will prevent the player from going into sleep or auto-powering down, which would drain the battery. After you are done streaming, with most apps, you can press the virtual back button twice and it will ask you if you want to exit the app. Another way is to swipe down from the top of the screen. If a streaming app is running, it will show in the notification bar. Swipe left or right on the app info in the notification bar to close it.
Insightful - I will have a go at this and hold off any returns process for some time.

I did try FLAC music via my iPhone/Amazon HD and it just doesn’t come close to A&K, so I will keep trying because I want this to work out.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #2,387 of 2,727
i never turn on wifi or bluetooth and dont stream only wifi even so battery life is horrible. Get around 7 hours.
they should offer owners who purchased sr15 in last 12 months to upgrade to SR25 for low cost as they just ignoring this player and made new one

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #2,388 of 2,727
The SR15 has the battery life of your average Android smartphone. Which, to quote Chernobyl (2019): It's not great. But it's not terrible either.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #2,389 of 2,727
The SR15 has the battery life of your average Android smartphone. Which, to quote Chernobyl (2019): It's not great. But it's not terrible either.

Although tired of the constant whining by the poster above you, I was agreeing with him/her re the battery life. But I realised it was actually a faulty charger that was to blame. New charger - still getting 9 hours SE, 7 balanced.

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #2,391 of 2,727
Hello. He left for 4 months, the player was idle, discharged to zero, charged, updated the firmware. During listening, disconnected, again tried to turn on, but could not. Loaded constantly, but does not want to turn on. How to solve a problem? Thank.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #2,393 of 2,727
Hi everyone!
I'm sure the information is available out there but I haven't been able to find a clear answer I trust so far.

I'm a bit confused with the outputs of the SR15.
The 3.5mm is labeled as "regular".
The 2.5mm is labeled as "balanced".
However, when reading the manual, it clearly says both the 2.5mm and the 3.5mm are just unbalanced when used on their own. And that you need to "combine" them to get an unbalanced output.
Reviews out there seem to indicate the 2.5mm is the unbalanced output (but most don't actually test it?) but the manual mostly seem to indicate on its own it's just another output.

I've been trying to find this "magical" adapter but so far the only cable I found was by a 3rd party seller on Amazon for the very cheap sum of $900 or something.

So anyway, can someone:
1/ Clarify the differences (if any) on the 3.5mm vs 2.5mm when used on their own.
2/ Where can I find a cable or adapter to combine the 2 to get an unbalanced output (to XLR or something else).

Thanks!
Alexis

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #2,396 of 2,727
If you copied from iTunes and there are tracks purchased from the iTunes store that have Apple DRM protection on them, that would definitely cause some of the issues you are experiencing as AK players can play Apple encoded formats, but only Apple devices can play Apple DRM protected tracks. Unfortunately I do not know of an easy way to check this other than going through iTunes and see what tracks were purchased and if they have copyright protection on them. Apple did away with a lot of the DRM tracks in recent years, but older purchases may be protected.

There is no limit of the amount of tracks that can be on the player.
Hi JAson

I have tried everything I can think of including a completely ne card formatted only in the player and then loaded up bit by bit. but no joy Same problem. Once I get past 50,000 tracks it all gets flakey.

And I have heard back from A&K via their European service operation in Germany:

We got a feedback from Headquarter regarding the limitation of numbers for AK devices: the limit is 10.000 files !!!!

Ak devices are proofed for max. 10.000 files to play without any issues.

Now I am quite annoyed - one of the reasons I bought the player was the capacity for a 1TB card and the implied capacity for music files - I am using c50% of the card. There was nothing published about a track limit of 10,000. I simply would not have bought it if there had been. What's the point of a 1TB card capacity if the working capacity of the player is only 10,000 files? Very very irritating.

Jul 3, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #2,398 of 2,727
chasmore, even my humble (in comparison to yours) collection (~23000 mp3/flac files) is too big for SR15's software - almost every time I add/remove several albums, I need to restart the unit, because otherwise it eNORMously heats & navigation through folders doesn't work --> drains battery --> turns itself off.
But at least after the manual restart it works OK, while collection is not modified (BTW, manual rescan instead of manual restart doesn't help).

Have you tried to install Foobar2000 on your unit using these instructions: https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/open-app-service-instructions ?
Maybe it will be able to work with your music collection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back