Astell & Kern + Shure--- do they play well together?
Jun 6, 2015 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yorolsh

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I'm trying to make the move to pick up a new DAP and was hoping for some input from the head-fi community especially with regards to getting a player that will work well with my shure se535 iems. I have about $500 to play with and I'm torn on which ak player would give me the best bang for my buck. I would love to get a used ak100 (probably the lower end of my budget) but I'm worried about the high impedance horror stories I've heard/read about in other threads . Would this player be able to drive my 535s? If not I'm also interested in the ak junior or a used ak120. I know the ak120 would put me a little over budget but I'd definitely be willing to splurge a little if it would be worth it in the long run. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on the matter. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. --yorolsh

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 7
Hello all,
I'm trying to make the move to pick up a new DAP and was hoping for some input from the head-fi community especially with regards to getting a player that will work well with my shure se535 iems. I have about $500 to play with and I'm torn on which ak player would give me the best bang for my buck. I would love to get a used ak100 (probably the lower end of my budget) but I'm worried about the high impedance horror stories I've heard/read about in other threads . Would this player be able to drive my 535s? If not I'm also interested in the ak junior or a used ak120. I know the ak120 would put me a little over budget but I'd definitely be willing to splurge a little if it would be worth it in the long run. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on the matter. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. --yorolsh

Just to know AK won't sound much if any better than your smartphone (if you are using low impedance earphones like you do), but you'll see for yourself when you get one. Also none of those players are bang for buck so whatever you choose it will be overpriced. I had AK100 for couple of days but I returned it since it was a disaster, didn't sound ANY better than FiiO X3 for example and it had even worse UI and that volume wheel sticking was rolling itself adjusting volume randomly. Haven't tried AK100 II tho. UI, screen, overall usage, everything was a disaster with the player, I'd rather lose 1% in sound quality than have to put up with all that nonsense and carrying extra device in pocket.
Do you really need a dedicated player, is your smartphone so bad? Or you have some higher to drive headphones that need some more output than smartphone?  Or you just want better sound? 

This is just my opinion, others may have different view on this but from my experience it's just a hype and need to be "audiophile" so they need a dedicated "pro" player even tho there is extremely small difference or no difference at all. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 7

yorolsh, everyone has different set of ears, but a well trained set can truly appreciate the beauty of how the AK Jr and 535s sound. In my humble opinion, the Jr drives my 535's really damn well..

The UI is the only thing:joy:

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 7
I think you guys are definitely right im sure what i hear isnt exactly the same as everyone else hears. i had read mixed reviews about pairing the se535s with some of the astell and kern players (especially the ak100) i ended up buying the RWA ak100 for significantly less than my $500 budget and have been extremely pleased with it. 

I think Tail was spot on with what he was saying about smartphone vs DAP its pretty difficult for me to discern the difference between an mp3 played on my iphone compared to the same mp3 on my ak100.. but as i move into higher quality recordings i think the difference becomes more obvious, i think the ak100 and 535s really excel with these recordings.. i love how i can hear the music in a more spacial oriented way and the instrument separation is great

yorolsh, everyone has different set of ears, but a well trained set can truly appreciate the beauty of how the AK Jr and 535s sound. In my humble opinion, the Jr drives my 535's really damn well..

The UI is the only thing:joy:

lugud that akJR looks really cool in that case and espeically cool with those 535s.. are you loving it? what are your complaints about the UI? what kind of recordings are you generally listening to? why did you decide to purchase the jr over any of the other DAPs out there? also just a side note more about the headphones have you replaced or had any inclination to replace the headphone cable? i see that a lot of people out there are interested in upgrading the cable and was wondering what your thoughts are on this. 

Thanks! 

yorolsh 

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 7
I think you guys are definitely right im sure what i hear isnt exactly the same as everyone else hears. i had read mixed reviews about pairing the se535s with some of the astell and kern players (especially the ak100) i ended up buying the RWA ak100 for significantly less than my $500 budget and have been extremely pleased with it. 

I think Tail was spot on with what he was saying about smartphone vs DAP its pretty difficult for me to discern the difference between an mp3 played on my iphone compared to the same mp3 on my ak100.. but as i move into higher quality recordings i think the difference becomes more obvious, i think the ak100 and 535s really excel with these recordings.. i love how i can hear the music in a more spacial oriented way and the instrument separation is great

lugud that akJR looks really cool in that case and espeically cool with those 535s.. are you loving it? what are your complaints about the UI? what kind of recordings are you generally listening to? why did you decide to purchase the jr over any of the other DAPs out there? also just a side note more about the headphones have you replaced or had any inclination to replace the headphone cable? i see that a lot of people out there are interested in upgrading the cable and was wondering what your thoughts are on this. 

Thanks! 

yorolsh 

Yorolsh,
Im loving how the sound is presented.. And most of all, i'm just looking for something portable..and the cable is just to shorten the length of the old one lol imho, the ak jr is a great upgrade since my old source couldn't play other formats like the jr.

And i listen to all sorts of music.. Also I have tried the Jr's with my boss's sonus faber and macintosh amps.. then compared it to a cd recording side by side.. And we both felt like that his $6k setup and my jrs sounded somewhat close for its worth..

Lastly, i have auditioned it with the senn hd650 and ath-w1000x..

In conclusion, music fidelity was achieved!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back