Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Jun 4, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,336 of 1,568
@JasonNYC Hello Jason how are you?

I asked this before months ago and I believe there are many people here who wants to know too.

When are we going to be able to use the Roon app with SE100. Is this going to happen at all or should we just forget about it?

My frustration is not towards you at all. İt just seems really odd that this is taking so long.

Thank you for your time.
Sorry, I gave an update in the other AK threads and thought I gave one in this thread also.

Adding Roon support has been shelved until further notice. With COVID-19 and 95% of our employees working from home, it is difficult to coordinate the development, testing and certification process. We will focus on internal firmware updates for the the foreseeable future. We have spent numerous amount of dev hours on Roon support and it is something we do hope to offer in the future, but for now there is no ETA on when it will happen.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 4, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #1,337 of 1,568
Sorry, I gave an update in the other AK threads and thought I gave one in this thread also.

Adding Roon support has been shelved until further notice. With COVID-19 and 95% of our employees working from home, it is difficult to coordinate the development, testing and certification process. We will focus on internal firmware updates for the the foreseeable future. We have spent numerous amount of dev hours on Roon support and it is something we do hope to offer in the future, but for now there is no ETA on when it will happen.
ok thank you Jason. I appreciate it.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #1,338 of 1,568
Download XAPK Installer from this link - https://apkpure.com/xapk-installer/com.apkpure.installer

Copy to OpenService folder. Once it appears in the services menu on player, install the XAPK installer on the player like you would any other APK.

Copy XAPK to OpenService Folder. Open XAPK Installer app in the services menu on the player. Choose the XAPK file you would like to install and click install.

Please note, you cannot install any XAPK files. You are still limited to apps that are currently whitelisted by Astell&Kern. For more information on supported apps and how to install APKs, visit our tutorial - https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/open-app-service-instructions
Honestly I was just about to throw a tantrum over installing Tidal, it shouldn't be that complicated to find the information needed especially that the SE100 is the only Android device that I own (probably the case for many others). The information I found on A&K that refers to the old method should be updated, even better the software should be able to update itself instead of dealing with APK and its derivatives. As days go by I realize that the value/performance/convenience are lacking but sound definitely isn't which is unfortunate.

Appreciate the help you provide over here, stay safe:dt880smile:

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #1,339 of 1,568
Hi All
Looking at headphones on the SE100, in particular over the ear closed back headphones. I was looking at the Meze 99 Classics with the 2.5 silver plated balanced cable. Anyone else used these headphones with the SE100. Any other recommendations on headphones ( I do not want to spend a huge sum of money on headphones i.e. over £1000).
Many thanks in advance.
Jon

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,342 of 1,568
Potentially thinking about the Focal Elegia. Anyone have any thoughts on these? (partnered with the SE100).
Thanks
Jon

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #1,343 of 1,568
I am lazy to search through head fi so it might happen that this was already posted.

When You stream music using Amazon Music You can see that maximal device capability is 24 bits 48 kHz. I am not sure whether it affects anything or just is a text label. However. If before launching Amazon Music You start playing Amber Rubarth which is 24 bits 192 kHz FLAC from sample files which come with the player. Then while track is playing launch Amazon Music. When You will hit play in Amazon Music You will see that now it recognizes device capability as 24 bits 192 kHz. Important is that when You start playing Amber Rubarth, Amazon Music is not running. You can force stop it from the menu.

Again I have no idea whether this is just a text label or it actually affects playback (maybe @JasonNYC can comment) - but this is funny nevertheless.

Don’t ask me how I have discovered that :)

I also assume this should work with other A&K players.

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #1,344 of 1,568
Potentially thinking about the Focal Elegia. Anyone have any thoughts on these? (partnered with the SE100).
Thanks
Jon
Did you go ahead with this?

That's my most common pairing, I think it is excellent. Good detail and speed, and the bass is excellent - And I say this as an owner of two planar headphones - I found that listening to hip hop, beats etc with se100&Elegia has rekindled my love of all things phat. Depends on the recording to a certain extent, and I am really referring to moderate-to-loud volumes, balanced cable.

Mostly I listen to vocal/classical/roots/bluesy rock. My Andromeda give the Elegia a bit of competition, as far as my enjoyment and preference goes, but then they don't have the same great round bass as the cans do

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #1,345 of 1,568
Did you go ahead with this?

That's my most common pairing, I think it is excellent. Good detail and speed, and the bass is excellent - And I say this as an owner of two planar headphones - I found that listening to hip hop, beats etc with se100&Elegia has rekindled my love of all things phat. Depends on the recording to a certain extent, and I am really referring to moderate-to-loud volumes, balanced cable.

Mostly I listen to vocal/classical/roots/bluesy rock. My Andromeda give the Elegia a bit of competition, as far as my enjoyment and preference goes, but then they don't have the same great round bass as the cans do
Certainly did 😀 A promotion on the Elegias helped to seal the deal! I love this combination, there is not a lot of time that the elegias are not on my head. My music tastes are fairly wide, but mainly listen to singer/ songwriters, classical, rock, pop, hip hop/ rap. There isn’t a genre that doesn’t sound fantastic. For mobile use, I use AK Diana on a balance cable, and and some point I would like to upgrade the Elegia cable to balance too. However, I am really pleased, and to coin your phrase, I am rekindling my love of a whole wealth of music (in addition to seeking out new music as well!).

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #1,346 of 1,568
Certainly did 😀 A promotion on the Elegias helped to seal the deal! I love this combination, there is not a lot of time that the elegias are not on my head. My music tastes are fairly wide, but mainly listen to singer/ songwriters, classical, rock, pop, hip hop/ rap. There isn’t a genre that doesn’t sound fantastic. For mobile use, I use AK Diana on a balance cable, and and some point I would like to upgrade the Elegia cable to balance too. However, I am really pleased, and to coin your phrase, I am rekindling my love of a whole wealth of music (in addition to seeking out new music as well!).

Man, the week I first had my Elegia, I was walking on air, just smiling all the time. They still make me smile 😁 ofc..

I think they make an excellent aesthetic match for the a&K se100 too. Especially with a silver cable. (By contrast, the Audeze LCD 2 looks anachronistic and bulky next to the se100.)

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,347 of 1,568
I've recently purchased an SE100 and cannot find a way to view Tidal videos in landscape (using downloaded Tidal app). The car mode puts the display into landscape but switches to the pre-loaded demo music. On my previous Fiio player I was able to download an app to rotate the screen but I understand only approved apps can be loaded on the A&K. Does anyone know a workaround or maybe I've missed a trick?

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,348 of 1,568
More than a year down the road still loving it. Battery life/micro details are great.. maybe except for the UI which can be improved hugely

Yes superb in Sound Quality but not "yet" in usability. Missing the Bitrate/CD Number Info and also the ability to sort albums (ascending/descending) by year (Album/Artist View). Hope this all comes with next firmware updates :pray:

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #1,349 of 1,568
Hi, has anyone tried this together with the new sr25 and the sp1000m? How does the se100 compare to these two?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #1,350 of 1,568
Hi, has anyone tried this together with the new sr25 and the sp1000m? How does the se100 compare to these two?

I had similar question regarding SR25 when was considering SE100. I have not listened to SR25 personally so take written with grain of salt. I asked two sellers whether there is significant difference between the two. One said that SE100 has more details and stage. Other said SE100 is of a completely different tier.

Regarding SE100 vs SP1000M there might be some information in Porta.Fi YouTube videos. Though I am pretty sure You saw them already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back