Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #707 of 1,567
is anyone having tidal issue that one that is built in, i keep getting playback error, saying user trying to get streaming url does not have a valid session

which is strange as i have tidal on other devices

update: had to log out and back in solved the issue

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #709 of 1,567
What's with the EQ whacking db's when enabled on the SE100? If you turn all frequencies up to +5 you still cannot match the output of the SE100 without the EQ running. :astonished: @JasonNYC

yeah the se100 is a great sounding dap with the worst eq ever

why even include an eq to begin with that is so bad, that is just weird by ak to let such an eq to get ak approval, plz do not give me the distortion explanation to excuse this terrible eq. In my books no excuse whatsoever can justify this terrible eq implementation.

Just why AK, I hope Jason will not try to defend this eq :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #710 of 1,567
Level may be attenuated, depending on how much eq raises the average drive level. We only have so much headroom in the preamp stage. Especially on bass boost. EQ might happen in the digital realm but that EQ'd signal still has to be rendered by the preamp section.

Thx,
Steve

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #713 of 1,567
I have had the same problem with mine, shut it down and restarted to address. Believe it has happened twice since the upgrade. I am exclusively using the side loaded Tidal app, as I continue to download offline content.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #714 of 1,567
Some tips for Jason and AK for make this awesome player even better:

1. Reduce the time needed for holding the power on button to power on the SE100 as it is quite long and unnecessary.

2. Add the A-B section repeat function.

3. Make some gapless tests as it’s not working 100%

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #715 of 1,567
Some tips for Jason and AK for make this awesome player even better:

1. Reduce the time needed for holding the power on button to power on the SE100 as it is quite long and unnecessary.

2. Add the A-B section repeat function.

3. Make some gapless tests as it’s not working 100%

4. Build an EQ that works and can match the output of the SE100 when not running the EQ

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #716 of 1,567
4. Build an EQ that works and can match the output of the SE100 when not running the EQ
I don’t use EQ but I understand people complaining about it. AK EQ is very...ehm...not so good.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #717 of 1,567
Has anyone tried a TeamGroup 512GB microSDXC card with their SE100. I know that A&K are in the process of testing a couple of other 512GB microSDXC cards, but I don't expect them to test the TeamGoup 512GB. I ask because in the US the TeamGroup is available for considerably less money than other 512GB cards.

Thanks

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #718 of 1,567
I have my player repeating and burn-in album that I am running through some headphones. Occasionally the player will stop and report that the files are unplayable, a reboot cures this but there is no set time on how long before a failure occurs. There is a bug in your firmware @JasonNYC
Data is stored on a 128GB SD card formatted in the device, the same thing will happen with data on the internal memory.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #719 of 1,567
I have my player repeating and burn-in album that I am running through some headphones. Occasionally the player will stop and report that the files are unplayable, a reboot cures this but there is no set time on how long before a failure occurs. There is a bug in your firmware @JasonNYC
Data is stored on a 128GB SD card formatted in the device, the same thing will happen with data on the internal memory.
If you didn’t try already, I would suggest trying a manual media scan to reindex the files and rebuild the internal database. From settings, System reset, Initialize media scan. If you have playlists, make sure clear playlists box is not checked. It can take up to 15 minutes depending on how many files are on internal and external media, but normally takes less than half of that.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 18, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #720 of 1,567
Just pulled the trigger on SE100. Did the one day delivery with Amazon so it will be here on Monday.
Been hunting DAPs for abt half a year now.
Tried DX200 with the stock amp, wasn't impressed by the sound and had battery draining issue. Then tried dx150 but only to receive a lemon. Won't even turn on. Ibasso really sucks at quality control.
Then I tried Sony zx300. I got my entire music library on SD card so streaming is not a must have feature. ZX300's UI and battery are good. In fact, very GOOD! But sound wise (iem: CA Polaris, JVC FD01), the music some times can be congested as the soundstage is kinda narrow especially when listening to classical, which takes up more than 70% of my music collection. And zx300's 3.5 mm SE output is weak as hell.
I may or may not keep my ZX300 depending on how I feel abt SE100. I really hope SE100 will give me much better experience and finally end my DAP hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back