Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Aug 6, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #316 of 1,568
Question to anyone who has used their SE-100 for more than 48 hours. Has the sound signature changed on your player after it completed the burn in period. I like the way my SE 100 sounds out of the box and I have put on around 10 hours of play time on it, but I am worried if it would sound different after 48 hours or more.

To my mind, it warmed and mellowed a little. It didn't lose any of the character or roominess, it just relaxed a little.

I'm not an expert in these things, but it's just the impression I got.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #317 of 1,568
Question to anyone who has used their SE-100 for more than 48 hours. Has the sound signature changed on your player after it completed the burn in period. I like the way my SE 100 sounds out of the box and I have put on around 10 hours of play time on it, but I am worried if it would sound different after 48 hours or more.

I'm no expert either, but i have heard the benefits or burn-in with 2 channel over the last 20 years and to my ears, yes it does change and for the better with the Se100.

From about 100-150 onwards, to me its sounded pretty much burned in, but i am noticing subtle changes even now at about 350+ hours.

Having demo'd it for a weekend before buying i kind of new what i was expecting, but pre burn in, it sounded fine but both the bass and treble lacked extension a little and the seperation wasnt quite right either, so i struggled to pick up the detail i'd heard before and it was also colder. I then let it burn in solidly for 5 days without listening and everything had improved drastically. The extension was there at both ends, but more so at the low end, which has gained authority and sounds more layered. The whole presentation became a more coherent, natural, a bit warmer and more open, i can definitely hear a lot more of the tiny details.

I wouldnt worry, because more than likely, if you like the sound now then its only going to improve with time and of course of theres a bit burning process at the ear end too as you get use to the signature and start to hear new things. Is there something in particular that worries you about the sound at the moment?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #318 of 1,568
Thx teknorob23 for the detailed answer. Right now I don't have any worries, I love the detail and separation right now and was worried that I would lose them after the burn-in period. But based on your experience since it only got better in these two areas I should not have to worry about them anymore.

Thx again.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #319 of 1,568
Had my se100 for... month and a half or so now? All I know is... the more I listen to it... the moreI like it! I do think it's good! :ksc75smile:

Sound quality is stellar. But also, every time I use the interface, I'm more impressed with how smooth and quick it is.

But in general, I totally agree with @teknorob23.

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #320 of 1,568

I wouldn't worry about it. I am agnostic when it comes to burn in. I think much of it is brain burn in. That being said, I've never heard of someone thinking a product changed so significantly in a negative manner that they liked it out of the box - and didn't like it after burning in. TLDR: If burn is does exist, it shouldn't be so dramatic as to make you like something you didn't or vice versa. (This doesn't account for warm up with R2R DACs for example like the Yggy - which definitely exhibit a change after significant warm up - as it affects the values of the resistors).

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #322 of 1,568
What do you think. Is the AK SE100 with Mrspeakers Aeon Closed a good solution. Or is this planar headphone with the 4.1 VRMS blanced output from SE100 to hard to drive for good sound quality?

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #323 of 1,568
so no one rates the Hiby R6?!!

It looks like a great DAP, especially for those who want a full android experience - as from what I read it seems less buggy than the Ibassos and Fiios.

That said, why the 10 ohm OI? I haven't dug into the thread deeply because this was a dealbreaker for me. My A18t impedaince, I believe, is 8 ohm - so the output impedance of the Hiby is actually higher. It may sound good or it may sound bad with the Hiby, but I am pretty sure it won't sound as the 64 Audio designers intended.

For balanced armature designs, unless they are high impedance (which I believe most or not) - it doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe with the Audeze or Hifiman Planar in ears as they are less susceptible to OI.

Remember when Astell & Kern had a 3 ohm OI impedance with the original AK 100 and everyone freaked? Well, that may have been slightly overblown - but there were immediately mods to fix it. Why 10 ohm?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #324 of 1,568
What do you think. Is the AK SE100 with Mrspeakers Aeon Closed a good solution. Or is this planar headphone with the 4.1 VRMS blanced output from SE100 to hard to drive for good sound quality?

I haven't tried my Aeon Closed out of the balanced out, but I did get decent sound out of single-ended - though volume had to be maxed. Therefore, given some additional headroom, I think this could be a good match. I also felt it to be a good match unbalanced with the Opus #2.

Caveating this with the fact that I haven't tried it - but am just speculating.

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #326 of 1,568
Nice comparison and entirely expected. My SE seems to sound better over time, so I wonder whether burn-in is a consideration or not.

Then again, it might be my ears just loving this thing more every time I listen to it.

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #327 of 1,568
I've made a video about SP1000 vs SE100, may be it will be useful for someone. Spoiler: comparison results are predictable :)

Thanks Cleg - always like your DAP videos!

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #329 of 1,568
Can somebody make a Review of the combination SE100 with Aeon Closed on 2,5 mm balanced mode? Because Planars need lot of power to shine im intersting if SE 100 Balanced out ( 4,1 vrms) can handel the poser hungry Aeon Closed. I hava only herad SE100 with Aeon unbalanced ( 2vrms). And for me wiht my Desktop Amb BHA 1 its MUCH more better. IN this combination unbalanced i find the Aeon a bit flat sounding. I can make it loud but with Desktob Amp it has much more Body and Dynamic. Resolution its the same. Perhaps i must go with a Hugo 2 DAC/AMP to hear the great potential of Aeon Closed. On the other siede there are reviews where the QPR2 shines really good with Aeon Closed. And they have only 3 vrms Balanced. I love Aeon Closed, but i need the BEST Dap for it.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #330 of 1,568
Can somebody make a Review of the combination SE100 with Aeon Closed on 2,5 mm balanced mode? Because Planars need lot of power to shine im intersting if SE 100 Balanced out ( 4,1 vrms) can handel the poser hungry Aeon Closed. I hava only herad SE100 with Aeon unbalanced ( 2vrms). And for me wiht my Desktop Amb BHA 1 its MUCH more better. IN this combination unbalanced i find the Aeon a bit flat sounding. I can make it loud but with Desktob Amp it has much more Body and Dynamic. Resolution its the same. Perhaps i must go with a Hugo 2 DAC/AMP to hear the great potential of Aeon Closed. On the other siede there are reviews where the QPR2 shines really good with Aeon Closed. And they have only 3 vrms Balanced. I love Aeon Closed, but i need the BEST Dap for it.
I don't know about a review but I have used this setup, ie SE100 -> 2.5 bal -> Aeon closed
I listened to that on a flight to Ireland and back recently.
Was loud enough to overcome the airplane noise.
I don't think in that setup I would be able to use adqueate audiophile adjectives or comparisons, but the best audio I've ever had on a flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back