Astell&Kern SA700 - Past meets Present
Mar 31, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #181 of 705
Are you noticing any sound changes as AK states they don’t change the sound with new FW updates. Some say they can hear a difference. This is a raging debate in the SP2K forum.
Sound can be subjective, but I feel like the upper-end of the spectrum has been altered/adjusted. For some songs, it is unbearable to listen to. It may be my headphone, but it was noticeable for me. On the other hand, system (software) implementation/update is fab.

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #182 of 705
Sound can be subjective, but I feel like the upper-end of the spectrum has been altered/adjusted. For some songs, it is unbearable to listen to. It may be my headphone, but it was noticeable for me. On the other hand, system (software) implementation/update is fab.

Absolutely no change for me... Same earphones and cable as yesterday. Very subjective indeed. However not satisfied about the fact that the led indicator still doesn't work with sources like Qobuz...

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #183 of 705
Absolutely no change for me... Same earphones and cable as yesterday. Very subjective indeed. However not satisfied about the fact that the led indicator still doesn't work with sources like Qobuz...
It very well be my headphone. I will test with another pair that I have. I don’t usually a/b or listen analytically to pickout 1-2% changes - so apologies in advance if I’m wrong.

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #184 of 705
Could be some of your sources are crappy. it seems not to be an even playing field when it comes quality production work. Sad!

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #185 of 705
Could be some of your sources are crappy. it seems not to be an even playing field when it comes quality production work. Sad!
This is my first DAP, so I can’t say much for other DAP’s out there, but SA700 sounds phenomenal. A lot better than Cobalt DAC/AMP. I had that for few weeks, and returned it. Very pleased with my purchase

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #186 of 705
This is my first DAP, so I can’t say much for other DAP’s out there, but SA700 sounds phenomenal. A lot better than Cobalt DAC/AMP. I had that for few weeks, and returned it. Very pleased with my purchase

By source I meant certain music files and not the player. I’m sorry for any confusion.

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #187 of 705
By source I meant certain music files and not the player. I’m sorry for any confusion.
Nono, it was just me admiring the DAP. You are right though, I run all mp3 , flac, dsd, and mqa files. So it may just be my mp3 files acting up.

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #193 of 705
O7hSN37.jpg

Just updated. Besides this volume limit warning, it says that this version update also improves on the stability of the device. It may be placebo effect, but I do feel the responsiveness of the SA700 improves noticeably. Pressing back and forth on it seems faster.

UHpiUnU.jpg

Just a quick listen to 3 tracks. Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me): The strong vocalist who could command such a strong presence in vocals as well as hitting the high pitch moments in this track. Simply enjoyable to listen to this diva.

Alphaville - Big In Japan: When the bass enters at 0:05 it was still as punchy and powerful but not overwhelming. The moment the lead vocalist of Alphaville, Marian Gold started to sing at 0:25...I still could hear the instrument maracas shaking “chick chick chick....” on my right side ciem. It is very clear.

G.E.M. - 倒数: A rather fast track sang by the most popular female singer in the Mando pop scene right now. Closing your eyes and listening to this track is just so endearing, like she’s just standing in front of the stage and I’m right in front of her in her concert. Her trademark is her 鼻声, where she can evoke and pronounce the lyrics of some parts of her song to “output via her nose” so well.

So yup, the SA700 still sounds that amazing after this latest v1.21 firmware update!

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #194 of 705
can anyone give me a tip, i can install titadl and amazon m. at spotify unfortunately always comes ..
"There was a problem parsing the package"
I've already tried 3 different versions ... thank you very much:wink:

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #195 of 705
can anyone give me a tip, i can install titadl and amazon m. at spotify unfortunately always comes ..
"There was a problem parsing the package"
I've already tried 3 different versions ... thank you very much:wink:
Are you installing xapk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back