Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #4,951 of 5,839
Much appreciated, @JasonNYC. Now that Apple Music has gone lossless, it becomes directly relevant for the TOTL player that AK has out. Whether AK supports Apple Music will be show current and future owners its intentions in the audiophile space.
Is ALAC lossless? I have some ALAC albums and they do not sound as good to me as Flac. Rather like MQA.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #4,952 of 5,839
Interesting. Anyway, you can listen for yourself in due course. :) Let’s see if AK still has the hunger and grit to get this done. @JasonNYC

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #4,953 of 5,839
Hello All. just noticed that my Amazon music is a down level version. how do I go about updating the APK file? I dont have the player front of me. is there an uninstall / install process? Any help would be appreciated

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #4,954 of 5,839
Hello All. just noticed that my Amazon music is a down level version. how do I go about updating the APK file? I dont have the player front of me. is there an uninstall / install process? Any help would be appreciated
Do not uninstall or delete the current version you have on your player before you update.

Download the latest APK and copy it into the Openservice folder on the player. Go to services on the player. You will see the new version in the Openservice list below. Click on the arrow next to the app to install. The new version will install over the old version and keep all your settings and offline music. The old version will move down to the Openservice list. Once updated, you can connect the player to a computer to delete the old version.

If you delete the currently installed version before installing the new version, it will delete any offline music you have stored and erase any settings you have for the app.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #4,956 of 5,839
@JasonNYC I know it has been discussed previously but has the A&K engineering team put any thought into how to re-implement power saving functionality for Roon users? I use Roon w/ my SP2K 99% of the time and on a number of occasions I've found the battery drained when I forgot to power the player off manually after a listening session. This is my only issue w/ the current implementation and there just ought to be a programmatic way to determine when Roon is idle vs. streaming.

@JasonNYC bump ^^^

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #4,957 of 5,839
D2128324-F299-4A3C-A80E-FB44D7B5D00D.jpeg

Well, I now see why the SP2k is known as cream of the crop. My ignorant self decided to go with a $35 ddHiFi adapter (I like their adapters overall!) which led to some crazy lower treble intensity for me. I couldn’t even survive 10 minutes, so decided to splurge on the pwa 1960 adapter.

Sound quality impressions? Clean, mature, refined, tight, articulate-you name it. Might as well be describing an ideal employee if you were a hiring manager (except for tight…). Traillii already had the best treble I’ve heard, but this takes it a step even further-the cymbals on “The Last Baron” are just so damn precise and detailed, yet STILL smooth.

Bass has nice weight, with tight decay. It is on the neutral side without any elevated warmth. Technicalities are obviously summit-fi for a DAP, showing remarkable imaging, precision, layering due to a pitch black background.

Will this DAP be for everyone? Nope-while I wouldn’t call it clinical since it does a pleasant job of balancing those technicalities with exciting energy rather than a linear, dull/referential presentation, it is still a mature Hifi sound that doesn’t value coloring the sound.

I’ll have to A/B more, but so far it seems that R8 is a bit more colored with an upper mids boost that can give off a slightly more musical presentation. But in terms of overall tightness and refinement, Sp2k comes out on top. Looking forward to how it continues to burn-in.

Bye bye ghetto adapter, and bye bye wallet. Hello copper friend.

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,958 of 5,839
D2128324-F299-4A3C-A80E-FB44D7B5D00D.jpeg

Well, I now see why the SP2k is known as cream of the crop. My ignorant self decided to go with a $35 ddHiFi adapter (I like their adapters overall!) which led to some crazy lower treble intensity for me. I couldn’t even survive 10 minutes, so decided to splurge on the pwa 1960 adapter.

Sound quality impressions? Clean, mature, refined, tight, articulate-you name it. Might as well be describing an ideal employee if you were a hiring manager (except for tight…). Traillii already had the best treble I’ve heard, but this takes it a step even further-the cymbals on “The Last Baron” are just so damn precise and detailed, yet STILL smooth.

Bass has nice weight, with tight decay. It is on the neutral side without any elevated warmth. Technicalities are obviously summit-fi for a DAP, showing remarkable imaging, precision, layering due to a pitch black background.

Will this DAP be for everyone? Nope-while I wouldn’t call it clinical since it does a pleasant job of balancing those technicalities with exciting energy rather than a linear, dull/referential presentation, it is still a mature Hifi sound that doesn’t value coloring the sound.

I’ll have to A/B more, but so far it seems that R8 is a bit more colored with an upper mids boost that can give off a slightly more musical presentation. But in terms of overall tightness and refinement, Sp2k comes out on top. Looking forward to how it continues to burn-in.

Bye bye ghetto adapter, and bye bye wallet. Hello copper friend.
Interesting, i found sp2k having more presence in upper mids compared to R8. But then im pairing it with LX so might give different perception. I dound lower mids fuller on R8. Turbo mode does push upper mids on R8 forwards a bit but still not to same level.
Might need to pull out R8 and check again.

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #4,959 of 5,839
Interesting, i found sp2k having more presence in upper mids compared to R8. But then im pairing it with LX so might give different perception. I dound lower mids fuller on R8. Turbo mode does push upper mids on R8 forwards a bit but still not to same level.
Might need to pull out R8 and check again.
Good point-I should note my impressions are based off just Traillii pairing since I don’t have many IEMs at the moment. It is quite possible that the darker signature of LX has a more upper mids “opening” up perception due to how strong SP2k is in the higher frequencies. I’ll definitely A/B more once I am get back next weekend.

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #4,960 of 5,839
Good point-I should note my impressions are based off just Traillii pairing since I don’t have many IEMs at the moment. It is quite possible that the darker signature of LX has a more upper mids “opening” up perception due to how strong SP2k is in the higher frequencies. I’ll definitely A/B more once I am get back next weekend.
True. I will give them both a/b when i have a free minute.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #4,961 of 5,839
Has anyone tried the ultrasone Ed 8s out with sp2000. They’re an old set of cans, easy to drive with annoying 3.5mm mainlined cable The sound at 120-130 is holographic sound, I haven’t spent time with them for years they’ve never sounded better. My nobles are in their case for now

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #4,964 of 5,839
Hello,

Anyone knows if it is possible for sp2000 to use the latest features of lossless and Dolby atmos music from Apple Music? I find AM is the most convenient and cost-efficient solution to enjoy high-quality music. Hope someone could inform me if A&K has a schedule to bring this to its products.

Thank you.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #4,965 of 5,839
Hello,

Anyone knows if it is possible for sp2000 to use the latest features of lossless and Dolby atmos music from Apple Music? I find AM is the most convenient and cost-efficient solution to enjoy high-quality music. Hope someone could inform me if A&K has a schedule to bring this to its products.

Thank you.
Looking for the same answer! There is an update just release. Maybe it will allow install of 3.6.0 beta which allows lossless streaming on Android devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back