Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jun 14, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #4,921 of 5,830
I read a few articles last week that Apple "quietly" decided not to support lossless in Android-based devices, but just rumors at this point.
That would be hilarious, but not out of character for Apple. I am half expecting some strange silicon requirement for end to end transmission. "Only works over Lightning port" lol.

Jun 14, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #4,922 of 5,830
That would be hilarious, but not out of character for Apple. I am half expecting some strange silicon requirement for end to end transmission. "Only works over Lightning port" lol.
I see that you don't own a SP2000. Any reason why you kept M8 and not sp2000 ?

Jun 14, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #4,923 of 5,830
I see that you don't own a SP2000. Any reason why you kept M8 and not sp2000 ?
I never owned sp2000, so I can't comment on which I prefer. M8 is better for my pocketbook though.
I had SE200 and M8 at the same time and liked M8 better.

Jun 14, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #4,924 of 5,830
Nothing new about the v3.5.0 issues yet. If you are looking for Apple Lossless, Apple still has not released a new Apple Music Android app that supports lossless and hi-res on Android devices. I read a few articles last week that Apple "quietly" decided not to support lossless in Android-based devices, but just rumors at this point.
Hope rumors are wrong! According to several users in Reddit, Apple Music in Android beta version 3.6 latest update today just appeared with hi res lossless and Dolby Atmos.
I am really hoping to get a working version for my Astell & Kern SR25!

Jun 14, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #4,926 of 5,830
Nothing new about the v3.5.0 issues yet. If you are looking for Apple Lossless, Apple still has not released a new Apple Music Android app that supports lossless and hi-res on Android devices. I read a few articles last week that Apple "quietly" decided not to support lossless in Android-based devices, but just rumors at this point.
What is the newest firmware of apple music apk that SP2000 can run ?

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #4,928 of 5,830
Is anyone using the sp2000 in their full sized rig, if so what connectors are in the top tier
Depends whether you choose USB or optical …

I use optical as the SP2K automatically recognises when I plug it in

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #4,929 of 5,830
I just tried with Apple USB C to USB C cable.
Doesn't work .
On the other hand, works like a charm with the FiiO M15.
You need a C to C cable.
- C plug on the ipad is OTG.
- C plug on SP2000 need to be not OTG.

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #4,930 of 5,830
Is anyone using the sp2000 in their full sized rig, if so what connectors are in the top tier
1st step is. to determine if you are going to use the DAC in the SP2000 or rely on a external DAC. if you are using a the DAC in the SP2000 (after all that is why you paid all the money for in the SP2000) and analog connection into an analog amp is the most direct choice (note I did not say best I just said direct). I would recommend the AK PF21 connector. the PF21 is a little hard to find but several folks have replicated this device - I think Moon Audio does something similar. Anyways from my PF21 I go into a Bryston headphone amp and then balanced out to a set of hd800S. If you are using an external DAC the USB options discussed already are options, but keep in mind you are really only using your SP2000 as a storage device and GUI for selecting music since the DAC and amplification is happening in the down steam system. I would not recommend (my personal preference) an analog output from the SP200 into a downstream DAC. When doing this you are doing multiple encodings and decodings. This is what happens: SP2000: Digital->DAC->Analog out->Downstream System: Analog to Digital Conversion->DAC>Analog out. In this model you are decoding then encoding back to digital and then decoding again. This is not direct (note I did not say best I just said direct). personally I dont like this model since all the encoding and decoding will more than likely alter the original source and add color to the ultimate sound. Some people like the color others feel it alters the original sound. At the end of the day it is what you want to hear. As a side note I love to use my SP2000 in my car. Here I am doing the P2000: Digital->DAC->Analog out->Bermiester: Analog to Digital Conversion->DAC>Analog out in my 2013 Porsche. is the Analog to Digital and back to analog in the 2013 car any good. Nope. Is the resulting sound Fun - oh hell yes. So in the end its what you want to hear

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #4,931 of 5,830
I agree that's in the some cases the analogue connection to an external amp will be the best solution.
The cable from A&K is named PEF21, but you can use also (and much cheaper) a 2.5 --> XLR cable and use the lineout settings in the DAP

On the other side: With the most headphones I've not a problem to use the internal amp from the SP2000 and so there isn't a need for an external amp.

Take care: If you'll use an external amp through USB, you cannot load the SP2000 while playing!

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #4,934 of 5,830
You need a C to C cable.
- C plug on the ipad is OTG.
- C plug on SP2000 need to be not OTG.
exactly what I used. worked with the other DAPs, but not SP2000. only one channel comes out. :) but it's OK.

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #4,935 of 5,830
Not true! I have the v 3.6 beta running on the Shanling M8 and iBasso DX300. It was discussed here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rel...io-at-no-additional-cost.957555/post-16408672.

As I am typing this, I am listening to Apple Music Lossless out of DX300. @JasonNYC Time for the AK development team to look into this? Especially, since they've never been able to fix the issues even with the recent Apple Music app. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back