Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #4,891 of 5,831
hello everybody, is anybody using your AK DAP as a USB DAC for iOS/ iPadOS devices? I am trying to figure out what kind of cables I would need to connect my SP2000 to my iPad Pro. I checked the user manual and it only mentions macOS. thanks guys :)

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #4,892 of 5,831
Umm... the question is why would you do so? It may make more sense to transfer your music files directly to the SP2k or to utilise one of the wireless connections (that said, Bluetooth implementation for iPhones are not optimal for sound quality).

However, you may need the lightning to USB camera adapter. And then the appropriate USB to USB-C cable.

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #4,893 of 5,831
I have a habit of watching youtube videos on my iOS devices - especially concerts. with a USB DAC, I'm just trying to have a better sound experience out of my iOS devices. I used to do this all the time when I had my AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt. I think I might have been hasty in selling it off when I acquired my SP2000 😁

another idea is to experiment with Apple Music - while waiting for the actual app to be fixed on the SP2000, another option would be to utilize the Apple Music app on the iOS device and enjoy the hi-res (up to 24/192 where available) with the use of an USB DAC, as advised by Apple.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #4,894 of 5,831
I have tried, without success, to connect my iPad Pro (which has a usb c connector) to my SP2K (so no problem cable wise). But, for whatever reason, the devices just cannot see each other, and I cannot enable DAC mode in my SP2K. I have subsequently download the AK Connect app for iPad, which connects happily enough with my iPad on my local Wi-Fi network. Having said that, I cannot play any of my Apple Music files, although I can see them in AK Connect. I understand that A&K are currently working on an update to address this issue.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #4,895 of 5,831
I have tried, without success, to connect my iPad Pro (which has a usb c connector) to my SP2K (so no problem cable wise). But, for whatever reason, the devices just cannot see each other, and I cannot enable DAC mode in my SP2K. I have subsequently download the AK Connect app for iPad, which connects happily enough with my iPad on my local Wi-Fi network. Having said that, I cannot play any of my Apple Music files, although I can see them in AK Connect. I understand that A&K are currently working on an update to address this issue.
thank you for saving me some valuable time :thumbsup::slight_smile:

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #4,896 of 5,831
A suprisingly fun pairing both aesthetically and aurally. Ultrasone 8LE. The silver albatross
B0E09A26-4D23-4F4D-ADE4-37418ED8F59D.jpeg

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #4,897 of 5,831
The solution to your problem is a USBC ipad Camera connector. The way Ipad and iphone works, if you want to connect non-apple certified USB accessories to it, you need to do it via Camera connector. Note that iPhone does not output enough power so it won't work with SP2K anyway, but Ipad works. I have it, I use it via the camera connector and it finds SP2K.

I still have problem in that SP2K as USB-DAC to ipad only output one channel. Not sure why, but it could be that my SP2K is old and thus faulty. But using USBC Camera connector the iPad can see SP2K and play music via it for sure.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #4,898 of 5,831
i connected my mojo to iphone and compared some albums using tidal vs apple music and no doubt apple music sounded better, really wish we will one day have apple music on ak devices

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #4,899 of 5,831
The solution to your problem is a USBC ipad Camera connector. The way Ipad and iphone works, if you want to connect non-apple certified USB accessories to it, you need to do it via Camera connector. Note that iPhone does not output enough power so it won't work with SP2K anyway, but Ipad works. I have it, I use it via the camera connector and it finds SP2K.

I still have problem in that SP2K as USB-DAC to ipad only output one channel. Not sure why, but it could be that my SP2K is old and thus faulty. But using USBC Camera connector the iPad can see SP2K and play music via it for sure.
Thank you for that. I had previously come across mention of the iPad Camera Connector, but hadn't picked up on the reason why people were using it.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #4,904 of 5,831

I just tried with Apple USB C to USB C cable.
Doesn't work .
On the other hand, works like a charm with the FiiO M15.
B6761E86-D664-4072-811D-C81E6A4F72B7.jpeg

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #4,905 of 5,831
Hi everyone, May I know when I'm charging my sp2000 and listen music together, I can here some electrical noise like"zip zip", escapically when I touch the screen to select music, the noise becomes louder, wonder it's normal or not? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back