Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Mar 16, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #4,321 of 5,831
Hi,

quick question. Any reason why my DSD output should be limited to DSD128? I am trying to find whether this is a setting somewhere.

DFFBD3A4-8E47-4031-94D0-3FBA6EEC9009.png
Roon should report the SP2000 being capable of supporting up to DSD512. I just sent the Roon team a message. It is possible they have the max DSD support rate incorrect in their database.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #4,323 of 5,831
Just bought an SP2000 because of the added Roon feature. :)

I have been looking to pair a Roon compatible source with my Cayin C9 to drive headphones. The update comes right on time to me!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #4,325 of 5,831
I suspect that it is due to throughput of most wifi systems and the SP1k/2k wifi chip. It’s been my experience with wifi streamers I have put together. The support issues due to pops and clicks would have been excessive.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #4,326 of 5,831
I’m having a strange issue with Roon. When the screen is on, my hardware FF/REW buttons work as they should. When the screen is off, they jump 3 - 5 songs every press. Pause/Play works fine either way. The hardware controls work fine in Tidal, Qobuz, and the built-in player.

Anyone else see this? Tried restarting and it still happens.

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #4,327 of 5,831
I recently returned my SP2000 because I found it too heavy and a bit awkward to use. The recently added Roon feature is huge for me because I can pair the SP2000 to the Cayin C9 and use the Roon app on my phone, I really like the idea of this setup. I repurchased the SP2000, this time in Copper which I hope will tame some of the brightness I heard with the SS. I think AK may have created a number of new sales and customers by adding Roon support.

I have a question regarding operation of the SP2000. I've downloaded and installed the Tidal APK app and all is working as it should. I'd like to be able to quickly switch between playing my songs loaded on the SP2000 internal memory and Tidal. I know I can jump to my local storage songs from anywhere by pressing the Home Screen button in the bottom center of the player. However, if I want to switch back over to Tidal I am going to the settings screen, selecting Services, and then selecting the Tidal app. Is there an easier way to get from a local song playing back into Tidal?

Thanks,
Ken

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #4,328 of 5,831
I am not sure if this came with the most recent FW update but I recall that under the previous FW, the S/PDIF conversion maxed out at 24/96. I realised yesterday that now it goes up to 24/192. So I’ve been using the toslink out to my Bricasti M1 DAC from the SP2000Cu. Then into the Carbon with electro stats as well as into the Cavalli Liquid Gold with other headphones. Excellent for QQ Music. :)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #4,329 of 5,831
I recently returned my SP2000 because I found it too heavy and a bit awkward to use. The recently added Roon feature is huge for me because I can pair the SP2000 to the Cayin C9 and use the Roon app on my phone, I really like the idea of this setup. I repurchased the SP2000, this time in Copper which I hope will tame some of the brightness I heard with the SS. I think AK may have created a number of new sales and customers by adding Roon support.

I have a question regarding operation of the SP2000. I've downloaded and installed the Tidal APK app and all is working as it should. I'd like to be able to quickly switch between playing my songs loaded on the SP2000 internal memory and Tidal. I know I can jump to my local storage songs from anywhere by pressing the Home Screen button in the bottom center of the player. However, if I want to switch back over to Tidal I am going to the settings screen, selecting Services, and then selecting the Tidal app. Is there an easier way to get from a local song playing back into Tidal?

Thanks,
Ken
If you were using Tidal/Qobuz/Roon and then hit the home button to play local music, you can swipe down from the top and see the app you were just using. Just tap it and you are back in.

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #4,332 of 5,831
You can have Roon on any recent Android or iOS device.
You can, but in the case of Android the output is almost always resampled (up or down) according to whatever sample rate the Roon app thinks the player can output. I've personally tested the Fiio M15, Shanling M8 and iBasso DX300 and Roon resamples the output on all of them as I suspect is the case on all DAPs. In the case of the M8, output is resampled to 192khz and in the case of the DX300 output is resampled to 48khz.

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #4,333 of 5,831
You can have Roon on any recent Android or iOS device.
But those are not Roon ready devices. Unless it is certified Roon Ready you cannot group the device with other Roon devices on your network. That is a big deal for me and I'm sure many others. I like having the same stream on four different endpoints simultaneously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back