Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #4,201 of 5,831
Yes. New firmware update coming sometime in the next few weeks. When I have a definite date, I will share.
I think that AK should release the sp3000 has soon has they can, the quantity of people worried about it is high, I assume that they will buy it, it will be like umbrellas on a stormy day....

Hello JasonNYC,

I would like to ask you two questions:
- the first is related to an issue I have: I tried to use my SP2000 as dac/headphone amp and the MacBook as source. Unfortunately, I'm not able to establish a respective connection between Mac and SP2000. First, I've connect both via usb-c cable (the one, that I apply, in order to add music files to SP2000, which works propperly). Then, I've activated dac mode and been asked to "connect to media device". What am I doing wrong here?!

- when the above mentioned issue would be solved, I want to define the system output in Roon as "Mac-to-SP2000". In this case SP2000 has not to be roon-ready. Am I right with this assumption?

assistance is highly appreciated :sunglasses:

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #4,202 of 5,831
- the first is related to an issue I have: I tried to use my SP2000 as dac/headphone amp and the MacBook as source. Unfortunately, I'm not able to establish a respective connection between Mac and SP2000. First, I've connect both via usb-c cable (the one, that I apply, in order to add music files to SP2000, which works propperly). Then, I've activated dac mode and been asked to "connect to media device". What am I doing wrong here?!
Have you changed the sound output on the mac to the SP2000 once connected?

- when the above mentioned issue would be solved, I want to define the system output in Roon as "Mac-to-SP2000". In this case SP2000 has not to be roon-ready. Am I right with this assumption?
If you are running Roon on the Mac, you can use the SP2000 as a USB DAC with Roon. You will need to manually configure the output settings in Roon for the SP2000.

The SP2000 is currently not Roon Ready.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 24, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #4,203 of 5,831
I been looking at things around and I dont think there be any new sp3k because the akm factory has been damaged and their is no new akm dac! So looking at history akm releases every 3 years a new dac lately and prior to that it was in 2007 then 2014 then 2016 and 4499 in 2019 and we are in 2021. So this leads me to believe either A&K will go with Ess sabre or wait for akm to get their stuff fixed...
I think if we go akm rout there will be no new dac till late 2022.
So hypes to the pockets and more time to enjoy my newly purchased Sp2000 Cu :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :smile_cat:
I think Vitaly2017 is absolutely right: due to the damage of AKM's factory by fire, we will probably see the next TOTL A&K dap in spring of 2022.

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #4,204 of 5,831
I actually had the DX300 at launch- well, before the volume wheel turned out to be defective.
NOT impressed by the way it sounded at all....

It is actually going back tomorrow.

I have SP2k Cu and had a dx300 on loan. I also have Ra C Cu 21 . And honestly I think we are seeing a very significant change in quality at a lower price point. I actually prefer Ra from the dx300. The SP2k is over priced now IMO and my unit has tarnished despite being never touched except the volume knob and screen.

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #4,205 of 5,831
I have SP2k Cu and had a dx300 on loan. I also have Ra C Cu 21 . And honestly I think we are seeing a very significant change in quality at a lower price point. I actually prefer Ra from the dx300. The SP2k is over priced now IMO and my unit has tarnished despite being never touched except the volume knob and screen.

How bad is the tarnish? Does it get green or looks like a black dust when you wipe it with a clothe?

Mine was brand new and when I unpacked it, it had the black dust which I found strange

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #4,207 of 5,831
No black dust. Just the copper darkening slightly in places

Oh ok. No I don't have that. Maybe it was dust from the manufacturing process hmm.

I cleaned it and its a clean copper look

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #4,208 of 5,831
I suppose I was massively overwhelmed by the QC issues on my dx300.

If I am completely honest, it sounded pretty bland too. I couldn't believe what I was reading in the Headfonics review and even thought it was a paid for article.

Perhaps my unit wasn't properly run in at the time but the sound was nothing to write home about.

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #4,209 of 5,831
However, I think that the Hugo 2 sounds superior to both the SP2K, let alone the dx300. I have only had the sp2k for a few days so curious to see if my opinion will change as time goes by.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #4,210 of 5,831
I have rich cousin that says that I likes a Fiat more than a Ferrari... Tastes are tastes...

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #4,211 of 5,831
However, I think that the Hugo 2 sounds superior to both the SP2K, let alone the dx300. I have only had the sp2k for a few days so curious to see if my opinion will change as time goes by.
Yet since I got my SP2k my Hugo 2 is rarely used. Perhaps it not having USB C irks me but I do think the SP2K edges it on sound.
Not quite sure what Superior sound means but for me the Hugo can appear a little flat and less visceral.
I saying that my Utopias are a good fit with the Hugo so matching important as well.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #4,212 of 5,831
I suppose I was massively overwhelmed by the QC issues on my dx300.

If I am completely honest, it sounded pretty bland too. I couldn't believe what I was reading in the Headfonics review and even thought it was a paid for article.

Perhaps my unit wasn't properly run in at the time but the sound
The dx300 is not bland in my opinion. I’ve owned the sp2000 SS and the Hugo2 , and even though both are TOTL , they didn’t always sound great with everything I paired them with.
Synergy with other gear , and your taste is key .
The dx300 didn’t work for you and that’s fine, but to suggest that someone’s review is a paid one because it doesn’t match your own experience is a bit unfair.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #4,213 of 5,831
The dx300 is not bland in my opinion. I’ve owned the sp2000 SS and the Hugo2 , and even though both are TOTL , they didn’t always sound great with everything I paired them with.
Synergy with other gear , and your taste is key .
The dx300 didn’t work for you and that’s fine, but to suggest that someone’s review is a paid one because it doesn’t match your own experience is a bit unfair.
I said that due to a lack of range of comparisons, which they normally do. I felt that the review placed a disproportionate emphasis on the strengths of the DAP versus its weaknesses.

I suppose I might be biased due to my own poor experience with the DX300 (referring to the QC issues that led to returning it for a refund)

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #4,214 of 5,831
Does anyone know where I can buy a dignis patina ?

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #4,215 of 5,831
Does anyone know where I can buy a dignis patina ?
I don't know about the patina ones but look at what Dignis replied to my email...I, personally, refuse to give this company any money whatsoever.

Attachments

• 2C35BF2D-F3E3-40F0-ABB6-F1BB7DC7BB57.png
    2C35BF2D-F3E3-40F0-ABB6-F1BB7DC7BB57.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back