Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Oct 18, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #3,766 of 5,834
congrats on your purchase. I suspect that now that AK has unlocked the choices of DAC filters, you will be able to tweak a bit the sonic signature that suits you and your IEM best. Yes, the copper is likely the most analogue and organic of the entire range of SP2000s. Which is why I am also an admirer of the SE200 and the Kann Alpha because of the different ESS DAC.
Thanks hahah. I am really enjoying it so far. I have been listening to music more frequently now probably thanks to its very easy-to-use UI and sound signature. Have you had the chance to audition the Kann Alpha ? I have tried the SE200 and thought it's more suitable for pop music while SP2000 is more balanced and more versatile for wide genre of music.

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #3,769 of 5,834
For iems, it’s superb. HUGO 2 is better for hybrids and headphones and that’s why I still got SP2000 despite having h2go

...but for IEMs, are you saying that the SP2000 is better than the Hugo 2? How would you characterize the difference between the two?

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #3,770 of 5,834
...but for IEMs, are you saying that the SP2000 is better than the Hugo 2? How would you characterize the difference between the two?

For BA iems, there's no question SP2000 is better TO MY EARS because you're able to hear more details and layerings. Hugo 2 has more impact and power so they're different in that sense. Hence, I am thinking about just keeping my H2Go and use it to drive hybrids (Eg, Z1R) in the future. Currently, I just got a very nice amp yesterday to pair up with H2GO to drive my HD800S and Stellia. H2GO is kind of nice in the way that it's a transformer in that it can do literally a lot of things (streamer/dac/amp or pure dac).

Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_5172.jpeg
    IMG_5172.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #3,771 of 5,834
For BA iems, there's no question SP2000 is better TO MY EARS because you're able to hear more details and layerings. Hugo 2 has more impact and power so they're different in that sense. Hence, I am thinking about just keeping my H2Go and use it to drive hybrids (Eg, Z1R) in the future. Currently, I just got a very nice amp yesterday to pair up with H2GO to drive my HD800S and Stellia. H2GO is kind of nice in the way that it's a transformer in that it can do literally a lot of things (streamer/dac/amp or pure dac).

Hope this helps

what mod is that on your H2?

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #3,773 of 5,834
Greetings everyone,

I was going to post here before I contacted A&K support being I figured you might have encountered this issue before. I'm finding issues with searching for songs/artists on my player after putting on the sd card then doing a media scan. I've made sure when transferring X amount onto the sd card is the same but when it comes to finding them after it's not showing on the search bar. It is hit and miss with which ones I can find, although it is showing them when checking on the folders on the sd card that we put them on the player.

I firstly did this by having the player connected to my MBP and using the AFT to move the songs over in one huge batch, I had the same issue and it was constantly stuck on scanning media no matter how long I left it. I had a quick look online/here and it seemed that doing this all in one go was the issue for this happening. So instead I decided to load the songs onto the SD card then put the SD card into the player because when I was trying it with the player connected the ATF would crash or stop at one song and not transfer the others.

Is there a way around getting the media to scan all the songs?

Should I transfer the songs in smaller batches and then do a media scan so it's easier to index the songs?

Any help/advise would be appreciated, thank you.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #3,774 of 5,834
Greetings everyone,

I was going to post here before I contacted A&K support being I figured you might have encountered this issue before. I'm finding issues with searching for songs/artists on my player after putting on the sd card then doing a media scan. I've made sure when transferring X amount onto the sd card is the same but when it comes to finding them after it's not showing on the search bar. It is hit and miss with which ones I can find, although it is showing them when checking on the folders on the sd card that we put them on the player.

I firstly did this by having the player connected to my MBP and using the AFT to move the songs over in one huge batch, I had the same issue and it was constantly stuck on scanning media no matter how long I left it. I had a quick look online/here and it seemed that doing this all in one go was the issue for this happening. So instead I decided to load the songs onto the SD card then put the SD card into the player because when I was trying it with the player connected the ATF would crash or stop at one song and not transfer the others.

Should I transfer the songs in smaller batches and then do a media scan so it's easier to index the songs?

Are your songs updated with id3 tag information ?

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #3,776 of 5,834
Greetings everyone,

First, make sure your microSD card is formatted with the FAT32 file system for best results. You can format it as FAT32 from the player itself or on a computer. Check out this FAQ for specific information - https://us.astellnkern.com/apps/help-center#hc-how-do-i-format-my-memory-card

I would recommend loading all the tracks onto the card at once, them doing a manual media scan to index everything. The player will index in the background over several starts, but if you are transferring a large amount of files, I always recommend the manual media scan so it completes all at once and future startups are faster since the player is not background indexing. To do a manual media scan - Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan.

Please note, it can take up to 15+ minutes for a full media scan, depending on size of microSD card and how many files you have.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 22, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #3,777 of 5,834

Hope this helps
I never understand that BA, Hybrid, or other type of iem that seems to play better or worst in AK top daps (the same was said about the sp1000 and sp2000 is clearly in another level) at least in sp2000 copper version the Andromeda that is full BA is clearly inferior to the Hybrid ierZ1r, but has I allways say, in this forum we must get used to wierd things... Respect

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #3,778 of 5,834
I never understand that BA, Hybrid, or other type of iem that seems to play better or worst in AK top daps (the same was said about the sp1000 and sp2000 is clearly in another level) at least in sp2000 copper version the Andromeda that is full BA is clearly inferior to the Hybrid ierZ1r, but has I allways say, in this forum we must get used to wierd things... Respect
No, you have to make the right comparisons. What I am talking about is the optimal source for driving iems. To my ears, the differences are significant between using Hugo 2 vs spkm to drive ier z1r back before I sold both spkm and z1r. I do firmly believe it does take a bit of effort to find the right matching between iems and sources.

Oct 23, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #3,779 of 5,834
No, you want the right source that FOR YOUR EARS drive better your Iems, that is your personal taste, not a universal thing, not a source that drives better BA than hybrid or DD, source to iem or headphone matching has nothing to do with the driver technology

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #3,780 of 5,834
No, you want the right source that FOR YOUR EARS drive better your Iems, that is your personal taste, not a universal thing, not a source that drives better BA than hybrid or DD, source iem or headphone matching has nothing to do with the driver technology
you gotta try it yourself to know what I'm talking about. if you have the chance, you should compare LPGT/HUGO2/Caiyin N8/SP2K across many iems. different types of iems do require different sources. You can't just make a generalized statement like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back