Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
May 30, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #3,301 of 5,840
The question is why they are sidelining the higher models. Although these are still functional but they are running really old Android version. If they want to modernize and refresh their product lines with new better software, it should be top-down approach, rather than bottom-up approach.

Imagine all those customers who bought or are buying these higher priced, more capable models but essentially are getting great hardware crippled by outdated software. I don’t think the reason is limited by hardware when it can done for entry model with lower performance cpu vs flagship model with high performance octa-cpu which can even scale up to run most demanding DSD512 processing. As said, it very strange and crazy.

May 30, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #3,302 of 5,840
The question is why they are sidelining the higher models. Although these are still functional but they are running really old Android version. If they want to modernize and refresh their product lines with new better software, it should be top-down approach, rather than bottom-up approach.

Imagine all those customers who bought or are buying these higher priced, more capable models but essentially are getting great hardware crippled by outdated software. I don’t think the reason is limited by hardware when it can done for entry model with lower performance cpu vs flagship model with high performance octa-cpu which can even scale up to run most demanding DSD512 processing. As said, it very strange and crazy.
Maybe they will
FB_IMG_1457734464877.jpg

May 30, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #3,303 of 5,840
Maybe LDAC support needs to be handled in hardware by the bluetooth chip rather than by the CPU. At any rate, as an SP2000 owner, I don't really care. If I'm listening to music wirelessly, it means I'm exercising, and for that I'm more than happy with my iPhone and AirPods Pro. If I'm listening to my SP2000, it's always going to be through wired headphones or IEMs.

May 30, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #3,304 of 5,840
Don't know where it was but I think I remember reading a post here from @JasonNYC that upgraded Android would be coming eventually in a firmware update.

May 30, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3,305 of 5,840
Maybe LDAC support needs to be handled in hardware by the bluetooth chip rather than by the CPU. At any rate, as an SP2000 owner, I don't really care. If I'm listening to music wirelessly, it means I'm exercising, and for that I'm more than happy with my iPhone and AirPods Pro. If I'm listening to my SP2000, it's always going to be through wired headphones or IEMs.

With regards to LDAC, i would have imagined any BT chips in the last couple of years with at least BT 4.x versions would be capable to support LDAC. Even my simple Sony ZX100 from 5 years ago can do LDAP. I suspect it’s likely to do with licensing or something else.

May 30, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,306 of 5,840
Hi guys. I'm in a hotel and trying to correct the sp2000 to the Wi-Fi network. I have tried this before, but never managed to succeed with networks where you need to accept conditions etc after filling in the password. It then says corrected, but no internet. Any suggestions?

May 30, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #3,307 of 5,840
Hi guys. I'm in a hotel and trying to correct the sp2000 to the Wi-Fi network. I have tried this before, but never managed to succeed with networks where you need to accept conditions etc after filling in the password. It then says corrected, but no internet. Any suggestions?
Open a browser — you’ll be presented with the ‘Accept terms’ page. At least that’s how it worked in the motel I used to work at.

<edit>
See below that’s not possible. Sorry. Seems like a flaw
</edit>

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,308 of 5,840

These sort of networks require you to read and accept their conditions indeed. That would require a web browser to do so.

Astell & Kern openapp only lets you install whitelisted apps. Web browsers cannot be installed, since none of the available browsers on Android are whitelisted.

So there is nothing you can do to accept the terms of such networks on the device.

If you really want access to WiFi, then connect your phone to the hotel WiFi, accept the terms on the phone. Next, setup a hotspot on your phone. After that, you can let the DAP connect to the hotspot.

By doing so you bypass having to accept their conditions, since the hotspot you connect to is technically a different network.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #3,309 of 5,840
Thx. I tried the hotspot approach and it works... Well kinda. When I connect the sp2000 to my phone, it reverts to using cellular/4g, so not the wifi network the phone was connected to. So whatever you download or stream is on your own dime. But ok, I managed to download the pink Floyd album I was craving this way, so I'm happy 😊

May 30, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #3,310 of 5,840
Thx. I tried the hotspot approach and it works... Well kinda. When I connect the sp2000 to my phone, it reverts to using cellular/4g, so not the wifi network the phone was connected to. So whatever you download or stream is on your own dime. But ok, I managed to download the pink Floyd album I was craving this way, so I'm happy 😊

Haha, doesn't work completely as I intended it seems, but at least you had WiFi.:wink:

May 30, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,311 of 5,840
Well. I can listen to what I wanted to, so I'm happy. But, in light of previous comments of what a super high-end device should be able to do, connecting to a hotel wifi network is certainly one of them, imho. Sour mode off, and back to enjoying the music. What a gift to us mortals! 🤘

May 30, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #3,312 of 5,840
When you connect to the hotel wifi, swipe from the top of the screen down. There will be a message in the notification bar that says something to the effect of "sign into wifi" or this access point requires you to sign in. I don't remember the exact wording as I am home. Press on that and it will open a browser window to sign in to the hotel wifi network.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 30, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #3,313 of 5,840
That totally worked! Thx! I tried googling but would not have found this. So thank you and this forum.

May 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #3,314 of 5,840
A little too early to celebrate... Tidal works fine, but qobuz tells me "network error. Unable to complete the operation". Are we back to qobuz issues again? 😊

May 30, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #3,315 of 5,840
A little too early to celebrate... Tidal works fine, but qobuz tells me "network error. Unable to complete the operation". Are we back to qobuz issues again? 😊
Try logging out of Qobuz and log back in if you were logged in before.

Regarding the issue with the latest version of Qobuz, I received a message this afternoon saying they found the issue with the latest release and will be releasing an update to the app probably this week that will remove that Google Play Services message. New version of app should also function better on DAPs.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back