Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Nov 1, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #1,636 of 5,840
I went and demo'd the sp1000 and 2000 side by side. I feel comfortable in saying, the sp2000 is the best single piece of audio equipment I've heard to date. I really wasn't expecting this.
@jscmd2000, you're right.

Years ago when i first heard the ak240SS compared to the 380, i felt that the 380 sounded slightly artificially spacious and preferred the sound of the ak240ss with more presence and impact. When listening to the sp1000, it sounded to me like an evolution of the 380, still somewhat artificial but a great sounding player nonetheless and much improved in every aspect.
Listening to the SP2000 at the recommendation of the dealer. This thing is a different beast; Organic, natural sound, present yet even more width and full bodied. This thing is closer in sound to a high end desktop unit and is why i understand jscmd2000 interpretation of pre-amp sounding output.
The 380/sp1000 has a holographic kind of spaciousness, while the sp2000 just has sheer width and expansiveness while still keeping present the sound. It is so musically engaging and technically detailed, my feet were tapping.

Well done Astell and Kern. I'll be purchasing one

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #1,637 of 5,840
@JasonNYC Annoying startup issue with SP2000: I have no local files (.flac etc.), instead using .apk versions of Tidal (internal storage) and Qobuz (1TB microSD) with downloaded content.

Problem: When I turn on the SP2000, scanning the media takes more than 5 minutes. Apparently the offline files created by Tidal and Qobuz are not overlooked, and cause significant slowdown. This matters as Qobuz is basically unresponsive while the scan is going so.

Result: Every time I turn on the SP2000, I have to wait 5-10 minutes before I can use Qobuz.

Suggested fix (please!!!): Either have predefined exclusions for the scan (... since you know what APKs can be installed), user defined exclusions, or do something simple like only scanning content inside a folder called “Music” (or similar) - ignoring everything else.

Why this matters: As I am downloading more content (I have about 60GB Qobuz cache right now), let’s say 10x more, the inital scan could easily be one hour (!!!) if scan times are linear. This is a catastrophic limitation in being able to use offline capabilities with streaming services (I am a frequent flyer and mobile user, so yes that functionality is key).

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #1,638 of 5,840
I went and demo'd the sp1000 and 2000 side by side. I feel comfortable in saying, the sp2000 is the best single piece of audio equipment I've heard to date. I really wasn't expecting this.
@jscmd2000, you're right.

Years ago when i first heard the ak240SS compared to the 380, i felt that the 380 sounded slightly artificially spacious and preferred the sound of the ak240ss with more presence and impact. When listening to the sp1000, it sounded to me like an evolution of the 380, still somewhat artificial but a great sounding player nonetheless and much improved in every aspect.
Listening to the SP2000 at the recommendation of the dealer. This thing is a different beast; Organic, natural sound, present yet even more width and full bodied. This thing is closer in sound to a high end desktop unit and is why i understand jscmd2000 interpretation of pre-amp sounding output.
The 380/sp1000 has a holographic kind of spaciousness, while the sp2000 just has sheer width and expansiveness while still keeping present the sound. It is so musically engaging and technically detailed, my feet were tapping.

Well done Astell and Kern. I'll be purchasing one

thanks for this encouraging report. I try not to upgrade from my SP1000 but... I know I will end-up doing the upgrade :)

question: did you listened to the SS or the Cu version of the SP2000 ?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,640 of 5,840
My credit card & I wish it didn't, but the 2000cu does things I've not heard from any other portable player.... layering and depth, along with real dynamics, natural tonality and timbre, and a balanced presentation, where it does all things on an equal level.Not in the 'master of none' way, but in the 'can do it all' way. There have already been quite a few times where I picked a single track to use to audition the player, and have been unable to not listen to the entire album, as it just sounds so compelling-it really draws me into the music. I have not compared to the SS version, but my preferences usually run toward warmer, more natural sound, as I listen to a lot of acoustic music, along with numetal and prog rock.....

It is heavy and large, but fits a Dulth Trading Company shirt pocket (yes,all shirts are short sleeve, and have two pockets in my world!!!). Given its 512G on-board, it is great that files transfer quite quickly to it, via USB3.0 from a Windows PC (Mac gear does not exist in my home). Several times when I was loading it up, I had to double-check to see that the files had really been saved in its internal memory, as it went 'too fast'to have succeeded.

The W-Fi works very well, and has no dropouts even doing hi-rez via Tidal or side-loaded Qobuz (which is not something I'll do often, but is nice to have). It does carry a large price-tag, but it sounds amaze-balls, has great ergonomics and features, and looks great. It has answered the question for me regarding whether one has to pay a sonic penalty for ease-of-use and great features (touch screen, good UI, wirless connectivity, fast file transer, etc.). It can be done, but for a price. It gives me great joy, so for me, it is worth it. I use it for several hours per day, a7 days per week.

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #1,641 of 5,840
My credit card & I wish it didn't, but the 2000cu does things I've not heard from any other portable player.... layering and depth, along with real dynamics, natural tonality and timbre, and a balanced presentation, where it does all things on an equal level.Not in the 'master of none' way, but in the 'can do it all' way. There have already been quite a few times where I picked a single track to use to audition the player, and have been unable to not listen to the entire album, as it just sounds so compelling-it really draws me into the music. I have not compared to the SS version, but my preferences usually run toward warmer, more natural sound, as I listen to a lot of acoustic music, along with numetal and prog rock.....

It is heavy and large, but fits a Dulth Trading Company shirt pocket (yes,all shirts are short sleeve, and have two pockets in my world!!!). Given its 512G on-board, it is great that files transfer quite quickly to it, via USB3.0 from a Windows PC (Mac gear does not exist in my home). Several times when I was loading it up, I had to double-check to see that the files had really been saved in its internal memory, as it went 'too fast'to have succeeded.

The W-Fi works very well, and has no dropouts even doing hi-rez via Tidal or side-loaded Qobuz (which is not something I'll do often, but is nice to have). It does carry a large price-tag, but it sounds amaze-balls, has great ergonomics and features, and looks great. It has answered the question for me regarding whether one has to pay a sonic penalty for ease-of-use and great features (touch screen, good UI, wirless connectivity, fast file transer, etc.). It can be done, but for a price. It gives me great joy, so for me, it is worth it. I use it for several hours per day, a7 days per week.

Please STOP STOP...I Try to resist upgrading my SP1000SS ! :)

But...I know resistance is futile.... and I am sure the SP2000 (SS or Cu) will match very welkl with my ZMF verite closed headphone that I should receive very soon...

Capture d’écran 2019-09-24 à 01.18.10.png

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #1,642 of 5,840
How many hours of battery life are people getting out of the sp2000 in real world usage with both iem and headphones?

Today I've gotten 7 hours, 32 minutes, WiFi streaming from Qobuz (at a consistent 24/96, since I was repeating a new album) and driving the MySphere 3.2.

Overall seems to be run between 7 and 8.5 hours, depending on cans, streaming vs. local play, and whether I'm running tia Fourté, ZMF Vérité, RAD-0 or the MySphere ...

Nov 2, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #1,643 of 5,840

Well you really need to pick up the SS version also. They are so differently good that worth keeping both. Together they expand your musical horizon :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,644 of 5,840
Please STOP STOP...I Try to resist upgrading my SP1000SS ! :)

But...I know resistance is futile.... and I am sure the SP2000 (SS or Cu) will match very welkl with my ZMF verite closed headphone that I should receive very soon...

IMG_20191102_160152_123.jpg

I loved the pairing of the sp2000cu + mass kobo 404 + verite closed.

The downside is the earphones are heavier than what I am used to and I have to adjust it quite often during my 2 hour session.

Nov 3, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #1,646 of 5,840

I loved the pairing of the sp2000cu + mass kobo 404 + verite closed.

The downside is the earphones are heavier than what I am used to and I have to adjust it quite often during my 2 hour session.

Great Set-up ! congatulatioj.

- You say Heavy ! did you choosed the IRONWOOD LTD version, that is 150gr heavier than the "standard" version that I boughty ?

- Also, is there really a significant difference between "sp2000cu + mass kobo 404 + verite closed" V/S "sp2000cu + verite closed" ? I thought the SP2000 was plenty power for the VC !

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #1,647 of 5,840
Great Set-up ! congatulatioj.

- You say Heavy ! did you choosed the IRONWOOD LTD version, that is 150gr heavier than the "standard" version that I boughty ?

- Also, is there really a significant difference between "sp2000cu + mass kobo 404 + verite closed" V/S "sp2000cu + verite closed" ? I thought the SP2000 was plenty power for the VC !
The earphones are a store demo unit. I believe they are the Monkeypod. I am not so sure if the Verite closed can be properly driven direct from sp2000. I have the Abyss Diana and He-1000 v2. He-1000v2 was alright running straight from the sp2000 but not the Diana.

Nov 3, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #1,648 of 5,840
The earphones are a store demo unit. I believe they are the Monkeypod. I am not so sure if the Verite closed can be properly driven direct from sp2000. I have the Abyss Diana and He-1000 v2. He-1000v2 was alright running straight from the sp2000 but not the Diana.
Ha , you must listen to very SOFT music.

Nov 3, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #1,650 of 5,840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back