Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Oct 25, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #1,591 of 5,831
Is the new firmware 1.13 that good that no one has time to share a thought on how it sounds or improvement from previous version?

I've downloaded it and according to the FAQ it's primary purpose is to add a Chinese streamimg service and then "some bug fixes". I didn't want to be the first one on here to say somehow the sonics are better too but that could be entirely placebo. This player has sounded fantastic sice day 1.

Oct 26, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #1,593 of 5,831
For anyone wondering - the hardware playback buttons still skip 4-5 tracks (with the new OS) on Spotify if you use them with the screen turned off. Sigh. Getting super annoying. I was on my flight yesterday and having to turn the screen on every time to change tracks so I don’t miss half an album is incredibly frustrating.

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,594 of 5,831
For anyone wondering - the hardware playback buttons still skip 4-5 tracks (with the new OS) on Spotify if you use them with the screen turned off. Sigh. Getting super annoying. I was on my flight yesterday and having to turn the screen on every time to change tracks so I don’t miss half an album is incredibly frustrating.

Yes, the same here in Qobuz. When display is on, you skip normally one song at a time. When display is off, hardware buttons skip 5 songs at a time. @JasonNYC - there seem to be a bug with streaming services when display is off.

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #1,595 of 5,831
Yes, the same here in Qobuz. When display is on, you skip normally one song at a time. When display is off, hardware buttons skip 5 songs at a time. @JasonNYC - there seem to be a bug with streaming services when display is off.

it’s literally driving me insane, I love this dap but this is borderline a deal breaker, I’m hoping it gets fixed ASAP.

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,596 of 5,831
it’s literally driving me insane, I love this dap but this is borderline a deal breaker, I’m hoping it gets fixed ASAP.

IMHO should be easy to fix. Everything working fine with display on, only a problem when display is off.

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #1,597 of 5,831
Sooooo, that's what is happening when I try to advance to the next track on Tidal! LOL
I am glad it isn't a random glitch nobody can pinpoint.
Very annoying and should be fixed sooner rather than later!!

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #1,598 of 5,831
Alright, I just gave a birth to my new novel, I mean, SP2000 review is published!!! Enjoy this long read with a lot of details, especially the pair up section with lots of example of IEMs and some full size where I looked at every pair up while comparing SPK to SP2k.

ak_sp2000-20.jpg

Oct 27, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #1,599 of 5,831
Alright, I just gave a birth to my new novel, I mean, SP2000 review is published!!! Enjoy this long read with a lot of details, especially the pair up section with lots of example of IEMs and some full size where I looked at every pair up while comparing SPK to SP2k.

very very interesting. Thanks.

a comparaison with the Sony DMP-Z1 will also be useful... but this need someone to be fortunate enough to have booth.

Oct 27, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #1,600 of 5,831
Alright, I just gave a birth to my new novel, I mean, SP2000 review is published!!!
thank you very much for your observations and analysis, which are as transparent as the SP2k's sound apparently is.

extrapolating from your comparison with the DX228 to one with the DX160 (which would be really interesting!), i hazard the guess that their sound quality might be far more comparable than their price difference should permit...

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,601 of 5,831
Alright, I just gave a birth to my new novel, I mean, SP2000 review is

A fine and interesting review, as always, as a full headphone user I would have of course loved to see a greater number of full headphones in the review but you have what you have. Are there other aficionados you know who might lend you their full size headphones?
PS: I read nothing that makes me regret purchasing a N8 Brass Black!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #1,602 of 5,831
A fine and interesting review, as always, as a full headphone user I would have of course loved to see a greater number of full headphones in the review but you have what you have. Are there other aficionados you know who might lend you their full size headphones?
PS: I read nothing that makes me regret purchasing a N8 Brass Black!

Unless you want direct access to streaming apps which N8 doesn't support?

Yes, planning to get more into full size headphones reviews next year, but not yet. Still catching up with more reviews in my queue.

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #1,603 of 5,831

Indeed, but I have no need for direct streaming apps. I'd rather spend the cost of the subscription(s) on CD's, occasional SACD's & digital downloads. I have a McIntosh MCD1100 in my main system so that strategy works best for me.

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #1,604 of 5,831

Thorough, well organized, well written review! Nice job!

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Oct 27, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #1,605 of 5,831

Yes, planning to get more into full size headphones reviews next year, but not yet. Still catching up with more reviews in my queue.
I’d be exited for full size headphones too. I have a sp1000 and amp module, thinking of getting the sp2000 and I’m unsure of the best headphone that works with a dap. I ordered the empyrean, waiting for it now. I have a Diana v2 loaner which sounds bright when I crank it up. The bass is there at low volume, but when I crank it up, the bass disappears and the treble is loud. It’s crystal clear loud but the empty bass (volume dependent) makes me think this headphone isn’t a good pair for a dap (no matter how much I love it otherwise.
I’m looking forward to your opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back