Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jul 20, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #406 of 5,834
Or just wait another year and get the SP3000 :wink:

Just saw this in another DAPs review:

New_and_Improved.gif

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #409 of 5,834
Jul 24, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #411 of 5,834
i wonder if the looming trade war between south korea and japan will affect sp2000 release? Japan going to take south korea out of white list. Export from japan will be approve case by case basis. can AK get the chips to make it? will sp3000 no longer uses japanese dac chips? A lot of mixed mini review of sp2000, i think better to wait and listen for myself, maybe just keep my ak380 inferior but small and portable.

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #413 of 5,834
Does anyone know a North American site that's still open for preorder?
I'm late and Moon Audio has closed their preorder :frowning2:
Pre-orders will officially start soon. Since the release date was pushed back from early July, dealers who were offering pre-orders have stopped pre-orders until an official release date has been announced. They will start offering them again soon. I will make a formal announcement here when pre-orders will start for all North American dealers.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 25, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #414 of 5,834
This is a question as old as time, but has A&K ever admitted to tuning their SS and Cu DAPs differently soundwise ?

I was told my monitor is a bit dark and should be paired with the supposedly brighter SS version and bright silver cable, but I saw a lot of review endorsing the Cu version. I will not likely have a chance to demo both version for myself so I'm trusting you guys' ears here. Have you really heard a distinct difference? Be it Sp2k or SPK.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #415 of 5,834
Pre-orders will officially start soon. Since the release date was pushed back from early July, dealers who were offering pre-orders have stopped pre-orders until an official release date has been announced. They will start offering them again soon. I will make a formal announcement here when pre-orders will start for all North American dealers.

What's the official date now? September?

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #416 of 5,834
This is a question as old as time, but has A&K ever admitted to tuning their SS and Cu DAPs differently soundwise ?

I was told my monitor is a bit dark and should be paired with the supposedly brighter SS version and bright silver cable, but I saw a lot of review endorsing the Cu version. I will not likely have a chance to demo both version for myself so I'm trusting you guys' ears here. Have you really heard a distinct difference? Be it Sp2k or SPK.

Thanks in advance.

The models are not tuned differently, as far as I know. The different materials for the chassis actually impart slightly different sonic characteristics. Copper is well regarded for its properties but you may be better off using your selection to “tune” your systems tonality to taste.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #417 of 5,834

Thanks in advance.
I've only been following them for a year, but they haven't confessed yet. At Camjam they don't even admit they even sound different. The host clearly said other people think they sound different because of the different metals, and that I should listen to both of them and judge myself.
I've heard both SP1000 in SS and CU. My wife prefered the SS, I like the CU sound. I'm sensitive to higher frequencies, and I can't listen to Focal utopia without my ears ringing with fatigue from about 10 seconds of listening.
To me, the CU sounds a bit more analog, more realistic, more neutral. While the SS sounded irritatingly brighter at the same higher volume, but I'm more sensitive. If I turned the volume down a few notches the brightness tames down and I can't really hear the difference. The difference is subtle, between the two. I was using the AK branded headsets, and my Andromeda IEMs at the time.
To my wife, she hears the SS and just likes it more. She doesn't care why.

I read here that someone that used to love the SS more, prefered CU on the SP2000 at canjam.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #418 of 5,834
I've only been following them for a year, but they haven't confessed yet. At Camjam they don't even admit they even sound different. The host clearly said other people think they sound different because of the different metals, and that I should listen to both of them and judge myself.
I've heard both SP1000 in SS and CU. My wife prefered the SS, I like the CU sound. I'm sensitive to higher frequencies, and I can't listen to Focal utopia without my ears ringing with fatigue from about 10 seconds of listening.
To me, the CU sounds a bit more analog, more realistic, more neutral. While the SS sounded irritatingly brighter at the same higher volume, but I'm more sensitive. If I turned the volume down a few notches the brightness tames down and I can't really hear the difference. The difference is subtle, between the two. I was using the AK branded headsets, and my Andromeda IEMs at the time.
To my wife, she hears the SS and just likes it more. She doesn't care why.

I read here that someone that used to love the SS more, prefered CU on the SP2000 at canjam.

My local dealer said the same thing: he prefers the SPK SS but prefers the SPK2 Cu. I haven’t heard any of the 2000s yet, but there’s definitely a difference to my ears between SS and Cu in the 1000 editions. Just as with IEM cable, I found the copper SPK to be much warmer. SS edition sounds brighter but I like the (perceived) extra clarity and note separation vs the copper version of the DAP. I use a copper IEM cable with one set of IEMs so it all balances out nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back