Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #4,021 of 5,834
Hmmm wonder how stable is the apk app as when I had this on a android dap that had no google play... It was buggy and everytime I reboot the device it was loosing the offeline content 🙄

FWIW I now made the switch from the R8 to the SE200. It‘s not the SP2000 but the software should be similar.

Spotify works fine for me, also with offline content. However, for one strange time I started Spotify and it asked me to login again which I did and all offline content was gone and Spotify immediately started to download it again. All my settings remained, though. Strange thing and never happened again. Other than that Spotify runs fine without crashes in the latest version. I‘m in love with Spotify for the short videos they display instead of the still album art alone. This makes listening to music a whole new experience imo.

My Apple Music crashed 2 times but without losing any offline content and only an older version works for me.

The strangest thing for me - the Tidal sideloaded app starts but I cannot login. I only get „something went wrong“. The A&K stock Tidal app works without problems and lets me login at the first attempt. Nobody can help me with that in the SE200 Thread.

So, from my relatively fresh experience with A&K and DAPs altogether - Astell & Kern comes with some little annoyances but the overall experience is still extremely great. I love listening to this ultra high quality device with plenty power (even more than the R8!) and without any distractions from other apps on the device. A&K is absolutely serious about music, I appreciate that everytime I use the DAP.

Not to forget the beautiful design. The eye also listens :wink:

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #4,022 of 5,834
FWIW I now made the switch from the R8 to the SE200. It‘s not the SP2000 but the software should be similar.

Spotify works fine for me, also with offline content. However, for one strange time I started Spotify and it asked me to login again which I did and all offline content was gone and Spotify immediately started to download it again. All my settings remained, though. Strange thing and never happened again. Other than that Spotify runs fine without crashes in the latest version. I‘m in love with Spotify for the short videos they display instead of the still album art alone. This makes listening to music a whole new experience imo.

My Apple Music crashed 2 times but without losing any offline content and only an older version works for me.

The strangest thing for me - the Tidal sideloaded app starts but I cannot login. I only get „something went wrong“. The A&K stock Tidal app works without problems and lets me login at the first attempt. Nobody can help me with that in the SE200 Thread.

So, from my relatively fresh experience with A&K and DAPs altogether - Astell & Kern comes with some little annoyances but the overall experience is still extremely great. I love listening to this ultra high quality device with plenty power (even more than the R8!) and without any distractions from other apps on the device. A&K is absolutely serious about music, I appreciate that everytime I use the DAP.

Sorry, I missed your post on the SE200 thread. Just responded to you, but will add here since I have discussed this in a few of the other AK player threads:

There seems to be random login authentication issues happening across the board with the Tidal Android app that is affecting not only AK players, but other DAPs and phones as well. Our team is aware of it and has been in touch with Tidal. Myself, I have not been able to log into Tidal on my Samsung S21 phone, but have no issues on my old S10 and my wife has no issues on her S21. For AK players, 2 out of the 4 I tried, I can log in and out and back in again with no issues, but two will not log back in. I did see a few other threads with people having the same issues on other brand players. It does not seem to matter what version of Android the device is running. I will update if I hear more.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 4, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #4,023 of 5,834

Thanks for the informative information and experience with spotify. That is maybe something that can happen spotify to can bug out sometimes. But I will say it is probably less buggy then tidal in regard of the login issue...
I always used spotify from day one and it is to date my best and most loved way to enjoy my music and I dont care if others say using a totl gear to listen to some lossy spotify is an overkill lol.
To my ears its definitely not and with every gear upgrade the sound always scales up!

@JasonNYC

Could you please tell me whats the difference between ss and cu and gold version. I know one is stainless steel and one is copper what I am after is a warmer sound closer to wm1z signature. I hear a lot of folks saying the ss is the best variant but is it so? Why would the copper be inferior?

To me its kinda the copper that I think I will love more as I like warmer sound, more musical and bassier.

What can you recommend?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #4,024 of 5,834
You can use Facebook login option in tidal apk. It worked for me.

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #4,026 of 5,834
Jackpot! Thank you for this suggestion. Now I can finally login to the sideloaded app also :L3000:

I always did it that way even on spotify hehe

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #4,027 of 5,834
I always did it that way even on spotify hehe

That never came to my mind :)

I can now confirm that the following Streaming apps work nicely, also in offline mode (with the A&K SE200, probably the same with the SP2000):

- Apple Music
- Spotify
- Tidal HiFi
- Qobuz
- Amazon Music HD

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #4,028 of 5,834
That never came to my mind :)

I can now confirm that the following Streaming apps work nicely, also in offline mode (with the A&K SE200, probably the same with the SP2000):

- Apple Music
- Spotify
- Tidal HiFi
- Qobuz
- Amazon Music HD

Excellent 🤠🐅🐾

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #4,029 of 5,834
Thanks for the informative information and experience with spotify. That is maybe something that can happen spotify to can bug out sometimes. But I will say it is probably less buggy then tidal in regard of the login issue...
I always used spotify from day one and it is to date my best and most loved way to enjoy my music and I dont care if others say using a totl gear to listen to some lossy spotify is an overkill lol.
To my ears its definitely not and with every gear upgrade the sound always scales up!

Spotify is perfectly fine, also on high end devices. I doubt many people older than 14 can distinguish between Spotify High Quality and Lossless in a blind test.

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #4,030 of 5,834
Spotify is perfectly fine, also on high end devices. I doubt many people older than 14 can distinguish between Spotify High Quality and Lossless in a blind test.

Hehe I did many tests and the difference is quiet small. Yes a little bit but for what spotify offers is sooo much more beneficial then the resolution difference it has.

I am an audiophile thanks to spotify he

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #4,031 of 5,834

- Apple Music
- Spotify
- Tidal HiFi
- Qobuz
- Amazon Music HD

Thank you!

Could you please tell us the version you use for each app and if it's an APK or XAPK ? Would be useful. Thanks a lot!

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #4,032 of 5,834
Thank you!

Could you please tell us the version you use for each app and if it's an APK or XAPK ? Would be useful. Thanks a lot!

I‘m currently away from my Laptop but I can tell the following from memory:

Tidal / latest version / xapk / had to use Facebook login for it to work. Stock A&K Tidall app worked immediately with email/password
Apple Music / 5 iterations old. 3.4.5 is the latest, but only 3.4.0 worked for me. The later versions started but crashed immediately
Spotify, Qobuz, Amazon HD / all of them the latest version. All worked immediately

For xapk, just use xapk installer from APKPure, version 2.2.2 - very easy to use.

I think Astell & Kern should provide such a list with direct links to the (x)apks that work.

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #4,033 of 5,834
I have zero issues with the .apk of Tidal. Make sure you are side loading the most recent from apkpure, although I have zero issues with any release. I also use Qobuz and the .apk works fine for me. Keep in mind I don't store offline music except from a micro sd. I have the SS model and have often wondered other than body color of there are sonic differences. Folks say they hear it.

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #4,034 of 5,834
Hi guys i just purchased a brand new sealed in the box SP2000 Cu! 🎉🎊

The day that Tiger will now own an sp2000 Cu has come ! 😛🐅🐾

Users who are viewing this thread

Back