Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,606 of 5,831
Oct 27, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #1,607 of 5,831
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #1,608 of 5,831
@Torq if you are the author of the above article, can you please share where you go this info? @JasonNYC is this correct?

I wouldn't call it an "article".

And I believe it was an A&K rep at CanJam @ RMAF 2018 I was talking to about whether their line-outs were a separate audio path or not (among other things). Context at the time was the SP1000, but I also asked if that was typical across the lineup and was told it was.

If it's incorrect, more than happy to change it.

The behavior of the "Line Out" toggle from the Notification Bar pull-down is accurate though. On both the SP2000 and SP1000M. With it toggled on, nothing changes (audibly) until you go into the volume control screen and hit the "Line Out" button that shows up. At which point you get a confirmation, which if you accept gives you 2V output (says so right on the screen) and the volume in the notification bar now says "Fixed".

Oct 27, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #1,609 of 5,831
Alright, I just gave a birth to my new novel, I mean, SP2000 review is published!!! Enjoy this long read with a lot of details, especially the pair up section with lots of example of IEMs and some full size where I looked at every pair up while comparing SPK to SP2k.

Thank you for the work you put into the review of the SP2K. There is a lot of information in there. I particularly enjoyed the GUI section and am sure will return a few more times until I get a hold of all the swipings left and right.

If I may ask of you a question from the perspective as an experience reviewer, in the section where you compare the different pairings of different daps, your descriptions of different totl daps sound like they are all more similar than difference and if there is any difference they are minor or subtle changes here and there. Is it because that is how you hear them or do you only try to emphasize the similarity or because you are only comparing individual parts (ie low, mid, high, sound stage) etc. The reason I ask is because for the pass three years I have been using the Sony WM1Z almost exclusively and the SP2K on the whole is a totally different sound than the WM1Z than what you described. I am not trying to be critical but merely trying to understand how you go about in your comparison. Do you also have the daps with you and switch them back and forth with the SP2K or do you rely from memory. Also it will help if you also include the Firmware version of the daps you are comparing to, like which version of the 1Z (1.02, 1.2. 2.0, 3.01, 3.02 etc) you were comparing as the various version of the 1Z are so different that almost made them sound like different daps. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,610 of 5,831
Alright, I just gave a birth to my new novel, I mean, SP2000 review is published!!! Enjoy this long read with a lot of details, especially the pair up section with lots of example of IEMs and some full size where I looked at every pair up while comparing SPK to SP2k.

This water fall hiss that you said in solaris is really annoying. Only in single ended on sp1000 this iem is listenable for me. I really like solaris. But this hiss. The problem is with low impedance out the solaris dont show all he can do. Less hiss but less rumble and less 3d holographic soundstage.

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #1,612 of 5,831
for me there is a huge difference
between wm1z (fun and engaging)
vs sp2000 ( neutral - cold - boring )
this review is unreliable

What headphones are you listening to when you are comparing sp2000 to wm1z? Do you have them volume matched? What music are you playing? Do you have the latest fw on each DAP? How many hours have you spend doing a/b comparison of these daps, side by side, blind testing? And how many burn in hours do you have on your sp2000?

Every single DAP mentioned in my review I have in front of me, with the latest fw, playing the same track, volume matched using U18t for monitoring, with dozens of hours I put in the last two weeks testing and comparing them.

Just because you don't agree with my review, it's just your personal opinion and how you personally hear this comparison. But I would like to know, for a full transparency, under what conditions you reached your conclusion? And the most important question, how many hours of burn in do you have on SP2000? I received my review unit with a few hundred hours on it. And most of the people reported a noticeable sound change, going from cold analytical out of the box to more engaging with a smoother treble after burn in. Will wait for your reply with the answers :wink: Or perhaps you are working on your own review? Would like to read that as well.

PS I'm just sharing what I'm hearing, of course it's subjective, but I do enjoy doing that since over 26,000 "likes" in our community found it useful :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #1,613 of 5,831
What headphones are you listening to when you are comparing sp2000 to wm1z? Do you have them volume matched? What music are you playing? Do you have the latest fw on each DAP? How many hours have you spend doing a/b comparison of these daps, side by side, blind testing? And how many burn in hours do you have on your sp2000?

Every single DAP mentioned in my review I have in front of me, with the latest fw, playing the same track, volume matched using U18t for monitoring, with dozens of hours I put in the last two weeks testing and comparing them.

Just because you don't agree with my review, it's just your personal opinion and how you personally hear this comparison. But I would like to know, for a full transparency, under what conditions you reached your conclusion? And the most important question, how many hours of burn in do you have on SP2000? I received my review unit with a few hundred hours on it. And most of the people reported a noticeable sound change, going from cold analytical out of the box to more engaging with a smoother treble after burn in. Will wait for your reply with the answers :wink: Or perhaps you are working on your own review? Would like to read that as well.

PS I'm just sharing what I'm hearing, of course it's subjective, but I do enjoy doing that since over 26,000 "likes" in our community found it useful :wink:

For me yours and many others reviews are not just unreliable, but surreal. But it's like 80% of everything nowadays. It's all about get likes and attention, not to exchange opinions and enjoy this experience that is this hobby and life.

This without mention your pedantic text.

Let's hope for the 30k achievement.

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #1,614 of 5,831
For me yours and many others reviews are not just unreliable, but surreal. But it's like 80% of everything nowadays. It's all about get likes and attention, not to exchange opinions and enjoy this experience that is this hobby and life.

This without mention your pedantic text.

Let's hope for the 30k achievement.

Really? I thought someone who uses "pedantic" in their vocabulary would enjoy a good read, especially when I split the review into a dozen of clearly marked and easy to follow sections across multiple indexed pages so you can skip easily. Still not good, bud? Well, I hope you at least enjoyed the pictures, though I do use my phone, so not exactly DSLR quality :D

No, it's not about getting likes and attention. There are no incentives behind it, and I don't force anybody to click. Just like I'm sure you didn't force those 49 likes in 11 years on head-fi. For me it's just a personal feedback to continue writing reviews in my spare time as a hobby, after work when kids go to sleep. And my pedantic text is a result of being asked numerous questions; it's easier to answer everything in one review instead of replying to same questions over and over again. Sorry you didn't find that useful. Hopefully we will see user reviews from those who spent more than just 2 weeks with a loaner unit and can share their experience from a different perspective. Cheers m8!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,616 of 5,831
Tbh, there is no wrong or right way to review. We hear things differently, have different music preferences, use different headphones/earphones, examine from different perspective (reviewer vs consumer), etc., thus come to Head-fi to express and to share with others. And if anybody is making a decision to spend their hard earned $3.5k based on a single review, you are not doing your homework. Every review and impression is a single data point and you need all of them to paint the full picture :)

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,617 of 5,831
We hear things differently, have different music preferences, use different headphones/earphones, examine from different perspective...
That, along with human psychology, is what makes all this stuff interesting :)

I just want to add my vote of confidence to your work. I think the effort that goes into reviewing products isn't always fully appreciated (I'm putting that diplomatically).

There are legitimate reasons for having different experiences with the same equipment. Having differences of opinion is also possible without having to be a giant dick about it. Kudos on not only your review, but for your calm attitude toward headfi's trolls. You're a better person than I am.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #1,618 of 5,831
I've purchased stuff based on reviews before, probably not the only one here who has done that, and wondered... how come this reviewer likes EVERYTHING.... even crap! Gets "floored" and "blown away" with every other product reviewed?? But you do get to know who they are pretty quickly.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #1,619 of 5,831
For what its worth , I agree with @twister6's review. I had my sp2k as soon as it was released in the UK and was asked by Phil at Audio Concierge what I thought of it. The first word I said was, holographic! I have the copper version though and have not really observed any burn-in changes. I also have the N8 BB and find that a different listen. The soundstage is not as holographic but is a more micro detail listen to my ears. But we are getting to the point where for IEMs at least, the differences between DAPs is getting less and less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back