Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Oct 15, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #1,501 of 5,831
I have an important question in my opinion about SP2000
Why are Low Gain and High Gain unavailable?
As a result, for example, Meze Emperyan sways at a volume of 125-130 out of 150 on SP2000,
and on Hiby R5 using high gain 40-50 out of 100
I can give more of the same comparisons.
But Hiby R5 weighs 160 grams instead of 410 grams, the sound level is certainly not like 2000, but very good in its class

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #1,502 of 5,831
Sounds unnatural? Maybe because hearing something this great is unnatural?

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,503 of 5,831
Sounds unnatural? Maybe because hearing something this great is unnatural?
FB_IMG_1571114749249.jpg

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,504 of 5,831
I have an important question in my opinion about SP2000
Why are Low Gain and High Gain unavailable?
As a result, for example, Meze Emperyan sways at a volume of 125-130 out of 150 on SP2000,
and on Hiby R5 using high gain 40-50 out of 100
I can give more of the same comparisons.
But Hiby R5 weighs 160 grams instead of 410 grams, the sound level is certainly not like 2000, but very good in its class
hello, 125 to 130 out of 150 in balanced?

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,506 of 5,831
@Jalo i received my healing shield from amazon for the SP2K SS, overall it’s a slight improvement in terms of quality over the provided AK ones. I installed the back only for now as my front screen protector is fine. Looks clean though and will protect the back, no issues using with the Dignis case either. Easy application. The bubbles should go out after a day or two but I can’t see them anyways with it in the case so it doesn’t bother me.

0729107D-C199-4F7A-B66A-DAB284BA24AF.jpeg

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,507 of 5,831
My thoughts on this whole CU vs SS is that one must know your own sound preference and one must be experienced with different daps. I purchased both the Cu and the SS so I was able to compare both units side by side. Originally I liked the SS sound when I was at Can Jam, but after I have both units with me for a week and did a blind test, I then thought the Cu is slightly warmer, funnier, and the sound is slightly bigger. However, as I became more familiar with the sound of both units, I know I want the SS for its tighter, cleaner, and higher resolution. I already have the Sony WM1Z which is a very warm and organic sound, and I don’t want another dap in the warmer camp. The SS is a totally different sound for me.

I just received my SS and first impression is that resolution and soundstage are superb, its easily the best DAP that A&K has released (I have not tried the copper version yet however). That said, I'm a bit surprised by just how bright it is. Any other SS owners find any sibilance or treble harshness fresh out of the box? And did it ease off after some burn-in time?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #1,508 of 5,831
I just received my SS and first impression is that its easily the best DAP that A&K have released (I have not tried the copper version yet however). That said, I'm a bit surprised by just how bright it is. Any other SS owners find any sibilance or treble harshness fresh out of the box? And did it ease off after some burn-in time?

what IEM or headphone are you using? I find zero sibilance with my A18t , the treble is nicely smoothed out.

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #1,510 of 5,831
Yes, for my ears :) no different, it means I have goldears, because I can save money :D
(Player was not burn in, brand new 0hours)

of course SP2000 is much more faster when you playing dsd file, more Power, feels better, but for only music listening, ak240 is still superb.

Volume Knob is same like SP1K, you have to be careful with it, the Player was brand new, but there is already little fixture.

my super old th900 is also better than Focal Stellia :D

and dont clean or touch on the backside, the print of ak is so cheap, even on SS, I thought only Cu Version is crap, also SS Version.

Reality is most people don't really hear a difference but expectation bias and placebo effect is strong.

Someone demoed chord mscaler in store and thought it was amazing but turned out it was on pass through mode so he was only hearing DAC on its own. Convinced himself mscaler was amazing and heard amazing even though it wasn't turned on. I can see why a lot of people won't admit the difference is so small if any and they feel like they wasted so much money.

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #1,511 of 5,831
I just received my SS and first impression is that resolution and soundstage are superb, its easily the best DAP that A&K has released (I have not tried the copper version yet however). That said, I'm a bit surprised by just how bright it is. Any other SS owners find any sibilance or treble harshness fresh out of the box? And did it ease off after some burn-in time?
Yes, it is. After 50 hours buring, SS less bright and the treble tames down

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #1,512 of 5,831
Reality is most people don't really hear a difference but expectation bias and placebo effect is strong.

Someone demoed chord mscaler in store and thought it was amazing but turned out it was on pass through mode so he was only hearing DAC on its own. Convinced himself mscaler was amazing and heard amazing even though it wasn't turned on. I can see why a lot of people won't admit the difference is so small if any and they feel like they wasted so much money.

Amen. Sadly, people get offensive because they have to somehow justify their purchase. I keep telling people there's not much difference between $300 vs $3000 DAP. At least no where near near the difference of that extra ZERO.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #1,514 of 5,831
Well you have to tell what headphones do you pair with the SP2K. I do not hear any sibilance or treble harshness at all. Beside as someone previously stated that sibilance is in the music, a good music player is only doing its good job of reproducing what is in the music. I enjoyed my SS tremendously for its clean, tight, and forward music presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back