Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jan 8, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,786 of 2,082
DX300 is out of production from what I understand. I think it's because of lack of availability of the Cirrus Logic Dac chips. Not sure if it's on pause or completely discontinued. If you find one, try to audition it first. I have an Ibasso DX220 as well as the Alpha and I didn't really like the DX300. In fact, I have the Alpha because I didn't like the DX300. I know a lot of people love it but I wasn't a big fan. Just one persons opinion though so you may love the DX300 as many others seem to.

With the Kann Alpha (and all my players) I really just play off the internal memory or microsd card. No issues at all with Alpha that way.
Thank you for this! You like the alpha then? Do you use any full size headphones with it?

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,787 of 2,082
Thank you for this! You like the alpha then? Do you use any full size headphones with it?
That was the intention, to use with IEM's and full size phones but I never really ended up using it much with my full size phones. Not yet anyway. I tried it with Meze 99's just for fun and it easily drives those but that's not saying much. Seemed like it would do ok with Hifiman Drop HE4XX but I didn't run those through the paces ... I had/have a problem with my balanced cable that I haven't gotten around to solving yet. I don't have any really high end headphones either. I enjoy Beyer 990 and 880 off of my desktop OTL tube gear and my most expensive phones are Sundara's which I use mostly off of a transformer coupled tube amp. I have't tried the Sundara's off of the Alpha at all. Yeah, so I can't really speak to how well it really does with full size cans. Love it with my IEM's though. Quiet and tons of clean power for in ears ... and I still do listen way too loud.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #1,788 of 2,082
A person with player.ru in the Kann Alpha branch has a Sundara of 4.4 each and says that he pumps well and he really likes the sound he has synergy

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,790 of 2,082
That was the intention, to use with IEM's and full size phones but I never really ended up using it much with my full size phones. Not yet anyway. I tried it with Meze 99's just for fun and it easily drives those but that's not saying much. Seemed like it would do ok with Hifiman Drop HE4XX but I didn't run those through the paces ... I had/have a problem with my balanced cable that I haven't gotten around to solving yet. I don't have any really high end headphones either. I enjoy Beyer 990 and 880 off of my desktop OTL tube gear and my most expensive phones are Sundara's which I use mostly off of a transformer coupled tube amp. I have't tried the Sundara's off of the Alpha at all. Yeah, so I can't really speak to how well it really does with full size cans. Love it with my IEM's though. Quiet and tons of clean power for in ears ... and I still do listen way too loud.
Thanks for this. Seems like it would run most things. The Dan Clark’s just seem to fit in an unusual bracket of being so low impedance but needing so much power. End of the day I’ve plenty of other headphones I could use on it if the noire’s struggle and I can just use them on my desk amp.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,792 of 2,082
I’m looking for a dap to use with the Aeon 2 Noire, does anyone here use this pairing regularly and had any issues with the current requirements of a low impedance planar?

I should add that I don’t plan on using streaming at all, it will probably never be connected to the internet, I’m purely local files. All the issues I’ve read on this thread seem to be related to streaming, any other problems anyones encountered? I’m currently using the dx160 and like the sound.

I’m using the Aeon 2 with my Kann Alpha, no issues at all, even out of the unbalanced output. Also using the Diana V2 balanced, sounds great. I turn my player off when not in use (boots up really quick so I don’t see why not). Also I don’t have any issues with Wi-Fi or streaming. I use internal storage and streaming about 50/50. For the price I think this is a brilliant player!

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,794 of 2,082
I’m looking for a dap to use with the Aeon 2 Noire, does anyone here use this pairing regularly and had any issues with the current requirements of a low impedance planar?

I should add that I don’t plan on using streaming at all, it will probably never be connected to the internet, I’m purely local files. All the issues I’ve read on this thread seem to be related to streaming, any other problems anyones encountered? I’m currently using the dx160 and like the sound.
Hi, yes I use the Aeon noire on a regular basis with the Kann Alpha. No issues so far - I use it with balanced connection and medium gain - a really nice combination!

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,795 of 2,082
I’m using the Aeon 2 with my Kann Alpha, no issues at all, even out of the unbalanced output. Also using the Diana V2 balanced, sounds great. I turn my player off when not in use (boots up really quick so I don’t see why not). Also I don’t have any issues with Wi-Fi or streaming. I use internal storage and streaming about 50/50. For the price I think this is a brilliant player!
Yay! Fantastic. Was hoping there would be someone who had first hand experience of an aeon 2 on this. Thanks, this is what I’m going to go for.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,797 of 2,082
I had an argument with one person. Is it possible to simultaneously insert adapters (or / and headphones) into 3.5 and 4.4 jacks. Tell me who thinks about it?
Of course it is possible to simultaneously plug into both jacks at the same time ... but that doesn't mean it will work. :D

Seriously though, not sure what you mean. You mean so 2 people can listen at the same time, one balanced and one single ended?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,798 of 2,082
I think Aeon Noire is more or less like my Dan Clark Steath ... clipping a lot with the Kann Alpha on tracks like "Cradle to the Grave" from Max Richter in 24 bits ... at least between 55" to 1'15"..
Kann Alpha can't provide enough juice for headphones with low impedance like 23 ohms and less than 90db/mw sensitivity. The situation is even worse with the HEDDphone one.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #1,799 of 2,082
I think Aeon Noire is more or less like my Dan Clark Steath ... clipping a lot with the Kann Alpha on tracks like "Cradle to the Grave" from Max Richter in 24 bits ... at least between 55" to 1'15"..
Kann Alpha can't provide enough juice for headphones with low impedance like 23 ohms and less than 90db/mw sensitivity. The situation is even worse with the HEDDphone one.
Ah. Ok. This is what I was worried about being a possibility. Did you find a portable solution that worked?

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,800 of 2,082
Of course it is possible to simultaneously plug into both jacks at the same time ... but that doesn't mean it will work. :D

Seriously though, not sure what you mean. You mean so 2 people can listen at the same time, one balanced and one single ended?
You know, I'm not sure if it's safe for the amplifier. I think there are concerns. To be honest, I am afraid to conduct such an experiment. If there is real evidence that it is safe, then yes, apparently it is possible, but I did not mean to listen at the same time. I have several dd adapters, and in order to protect the Alpha connectors from wear and tear, I thought it was possible to simultaneously turn on two dd adapters 3.5 and 4.4, but maybe this is stupidity.
What do you think?🙂

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back