Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Feb 18, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #1,096 of 2,082
can i ask a really stupid question as i've never done it before. If i want to connect this DAP and play files to a Denon AV receiver to use with my speakers is this possible?
If so, what would i need in terms of cables. Is SPIDF the way to go? So 3.5mm out to optical in the AV receiver Also do i have to set anything in the DAP?
I've been asking a similar question.
I want to connect my Alpha to my Audiolab 6000A amp. The amp has both an optical input, and also an RCA Aux input.
I have both cables, and I intend to try both methods to see if one is better than the other.
So, it a 3.5mm jack to a pair of RCA cables, and this would utilise the line out on the Alpha. I've been told that when I do this, I then have to use the volume to adjust the voltage of the output, but I am a bit confused about this, because the manual is not exactly clear.
The other way is to use a 3.5mm to toslink optical cable, which I have also bought to try. Someone else has said to me that the output is limited using this method to 192kHz, but again, I don't really understand this part yet. I do have quite a few Higher resolution albums which I have bought, so it would be nice to play them in full resolution.
So, I find it quite confusing, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of advice about this.
My new amp is due to arrive today, so I should be able to experiment soon.
I'll post on here when I've tried it !

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #1,097 of 2,082
can i ask a really stupid question as i've never done it before. If i want to connect this DAP and play files to a Denon AV receiver to use with my speakers is this possible?
If so, what would i need in terms of cables. Is SPIDF the way to go? So 3.5mm out to optical in the AV receiver Also do i have to set anything in the DAP?
I use an audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to read and set line out on the dap. It sounds real good. You can experiment with different line out voltages to get a comfortable volume. I run it into a pioneer elite sc-91. I might try the toslink one day just for the heck of it but the rca sounds great. Remember that it is a two step process to enable line out, turn it on from the drop down menu the go to device volume by turning the volume knob, then click on the line out box where it appears on the volume screen.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #1,098 of 2,082
I've been asking a similar question.
I want to connect my Alpha to my Audiolab 6000A amp. The amp has both an optical input, and also an RCA Aux input.
I have both cables, and I intend to try both methods to see if one is better than the other.
So, it a 3.5mm jack to a pair of RCA cables, and this would utilise the line out on the Alpha. I've been told that when I do this, I then have to use the volume to adjust the voltage of the output, but I am a bit confused about this, because the manual is not exactly clear.
The other way is to use a 3.5mm to toslink optical cable, which I have also bought to try. Someone else has said to me that the output is limited using this method to 192kHz, but again, I don't really understand this part yet. I do have quite a few Higher resolution albums which I have bought, so it would be nice to play them in full resolution.
So, I find it quite confusing, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of advice about this.
My new amp is due to arrive today, so I should be able to experiment soon.
I'll post on here when I've tried it !
The volume does not adjust the line out voltage, once line out is properly enabled you go into the device menu and there you will find a line out setting for the 4 different voltages. I use the lowest one, .7v, going into my car with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm and that sounds great, for the home system I use either 1v or 1.5. Always wondered what is best but honestly they all sound great but with different volume.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #1,099 of 2,082
I use an audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to read and set line out on the dap. It sounds real good. You can experiment with different line out voltages to get a comfortable volume. I run it into a pioneer elite sc-91. I might try the toslink one day just for the heck of it but the rca sounds great. Remember that it is a two step process to enable line out, turn it on from the drop down menu the go to device volume by turning the volume knob, then click on the line out box where it appears on the volume screen.
It's can be 100% automatic with Toslink and 4.4mm plug when you insert or take it away => it switches between Headphone 4.4mm and Toslink without accessing any menu.

It's probably the best usable function of the Kann Alpha at home.
You can listen to some music with a headphone connected to a desktop amp and be free to move somewhere in your home directly and continue the playlist by taking off the headphone of the amp and plug it in the Kann Alpha 4.4mm. Unfortunately => AKConnect is stopping any streaming in less than 15 minutes.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #1,100 of 2,082
I know this is an open ended question but can anyone share any headphone recommendations with me?

I have a pair of the Sennheiser 660S’s. They are great headphones but I’m not 100% sure if they are a good match for this player.

There is tonnes of detail, but I find the sound almost too clinical. There is no warmth to the sound like with the Pioneer.

I like to listen to all sorts of music but I find 80’s, rock or even simple pop music can become almost tiring to listen to after a while.

I did setup a V shape on the eq which has helped but as others have mentioned the Eq doesn’t make a huge difference.

im wondering if investing in a pair of closed headphones would allow me to enjoy a more bass like and warm sound signature.

On another subject I tried the Ak connect function the other day. Connected to my Synology drive. Listened to music for four hours. No issues. So I’m not sure what’s causing the problem for others, unless theres a synology setting which the player doesn’t like maybe? Even the standby option was still switched on. Odd.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #1,101 of 2,082
Interesting and intriguing ..
My Setup
AKconnect on ... standby option off (of course) => even no synology server connection active but using Qobuz get cuts every 15 minutes connected :
at home via netgear wifi 6 mesh on a 1Gbbps/400Mbps internet connection
at home vis 4G access point sharing connection on a galaxy Z fold2
at office on asus router with a 100mbps symmetrical pro broadband ..
1.01CM and 1.01CN firmware ..

And

when AKConnect si set to off
Qobuzz has no cuts with 1.01CN only .. still some cuts with 1.01CM

I still own and used Hiby R6pro, Fiio M11 and Siruis A pro (Win10) (AK Kann Alpha should have replaces these DAPs with more available) => I never had any disconnection in those environments with any of these DAPs.

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,102 of 2,082
I know this is an open ended question but can anyone share any headphone recommendations with me?

I have a pair of the Sennheiser 660S’s. They are great headphones but I’m not 100% sure if they are a good match for this player.

There is tonnes of detail, but I find the sound almost too clinical. There is no warmth to the sound like with the Pioneer.

I like to listen to all sorts of music but I find 80’s, rock or even simple pop music can become almost tiring to listen to after a while.

I did setup a V shape on the eq which has helped but as others have mentioned the Eq doesn’t make a huge difference.

im wondering if investing in a pair of closed headphones would allow me to enjoy a more bass like and warm sound signature.

On another subject I tried the Ak connect function the other day. Connected to my Synology drive. Listened to music for four hours. No issues. So I’m not sure what’s causing the problem for others, unless theres a synology setting which the player doesn’t like maybe? Even the standby option was still switched on. Odd.
Hi Andrew. I also have the HD660s Sennheisers.
Are you using them with the balanced cable? I listen to mine with the balanced and prefer the sound. Might be just me of course !
Although I still think I prefer the sound of the Fiio FH7 IEMs I have, over the 660hds.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,104 of 2,082
It's can be 100% automatic with Toslink and 4.4mm plug when you insert or take it away => it switches between Headphone 4.4mm and Toslink without accessing any menu.

It's probably the best usable function of the Kann Alpha at home.
You can listen to some music with a headphone connected to a desktop amp and be free to move somewhere in your home directly and continue the playlist by taking off the headphone of the amp and plug it in the Kann Alpha 4.4mm. Unfortunately => AKConnect is stopping any streaming in less than 15 minutes.
I wasn't talking about the port switching I was saying you have to enable line out manually and that it is a two step process, I have not used toslink but I belive that is a fixed non adjustable output.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,105 of 2,082
Looks like Tidal fixed the login issues. Can confirm a few users who haven't been able to log in all week can now log in with no issue.

You can ask to see when they solve the streaming problems every 10 - 15 minutes, it is a bit frustrating, I have spent 1299 euros to have this problem, I come from a fiio m11 pro and if I knew it I would not have changed it.
Greetings and thank you.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,106 of 2,082

What pioneer do you have? I have the xdp-30r, but I think the astell&kern sounds far superior.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #1,108 of 2,082
I think a lot of these problems are hit or miss. I just recieved my second kann alpha and tidal works fine with no song skipping granted I've only tested it for one day but the other player does it all the time when the screen is off. If you have problems with this player do not wait for a fix. Exchange it immediately and get another.

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,109 of 2,082
Sorry guys i think i really need this dumbed down for me to connect my alpha to my denon av receiver.
What exact cable do i need to successfully play my songs on the av receiver?
Here is a photo of the back of my denon
IMG_5509.JPG

So to get the best possible sound quality, what exact cable do i need? and where do i insert said cable? Also what settings do i need to set on my Kann Alpha?
I tried a 3.5mm to RCA and inserted it in the CD white and red input but when playing music it sounded horrible.

So im a bit dumbfounded about what i need to do.

Thanks

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,110 of 2,082
Sorry guys i think i really need this dumbed down for me to connect my alpha to my denon av receiver.
What exact cable do i need to successfully play my songs on the av receiver?
Here is a photo of the back of my denon IMG_5509.JPG

So to get the best possible sound quality, what exact cable do i need? and where do i insert said cable? Also what settings do i need to set on my Kann Alpha?
I tried a 3.5mm to RCA and inserted it in the CD white and red input but when playing music it sounded horrible.

So im a bit dumbfounded about what i need to do.

Thanks
I use the audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to rca into a pioneer elite receiver that is real similar to your receiver and it sounds amazing. I'm playing albums purchased on hdtracks and master quality streamed from tidal. Make sure you are enabling line out properly. You have to turn it on in the menu and then turn the volume wheel to get the volume screen to come on, then click where it says line out on the volume screen and select ok. Then the volume will be fixed at the selected line out voltage. It should sound great unless there is some weird setting in the reciever. It should be set to analogue for that imput or try another imput. Also make sure you are playing high quality files. I see you have the sennheiser 800s's. How are they with the kann alpha? I might get a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back