Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Feb 11, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,067 of 2,082
Looks like Tidal fixed the login issues. Can confirm a few users who haven't been able to log in all week can now log in with no issue.
Bosh

Attachments

• 20210211_165058.jpg
    20210211_165058.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,068 of 2,082
It sucks that so many people are having issues with the product. I've been using it for at least 2-3 hours a day, for the past 2 weeks or so and feel like I've dodged a bullet and don't have the WiFi drop, Tidal log in or song skipping issues (maybe like 5 times in the 2 weeks). I hope we get a firmware update soon that fixes all of this and doesn't break anything new. Meanwhile, I got my Dignis case delivered today, so here are some pictures!
Hey man, that's a sweet case. Where did you get it?

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #1,069 of 2,082
Alright, so I'm listening to this via the DAP passthrough right now. It's not glowing based on the source, but holy crap does it sound good. Running master files on Tidal on PC right now (because the interface is clumsy lol) and whoa. I heard something I have never heard in a song before, and that's even with my Multibit DAC.

whaaaat

If they work out the issues with this thing, I will keep it and buy that super nice looking case. If they can't work out the issues I will likely return it and be a devastated panda.

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #1,072 of 2,082
Good morning, yesterday I was playing tidal and qobuz and the only way that the playback did not stop was to turn on the screen every 10 minutes, if you leave it for more time with the screen off every 15 minutes the wifi is disconnected and you have to play again

Feb 12, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,074 of 2,082
I got a brand new Kann Alpha today from an official french dealer (clearly indicated on the A&K website).
I received it in 48h and everything is perfectly sealed, and it took me a time to get the DAP out of the box and keep the box in perfect "condition" to be returned next week to the dealer as I don't expect it to work better than the one I bought in December.

This time I have directly 1.01CM firmware in the DAP (no need to update via OTA), but there is French language available which is not available in the 1.01CN firmware which was downloaded by OTA in the former Kann Alpha bought on aliexpress.

And guess what !
First try AK connect to my Synology UPNP server => cut in 10 minutes .. I forgot to turn off the sleep mode in AK Connect parameters.
So, I did a second try with AK Connect Sleep Mode deactivated.. and ...
No change AKconnect stops after 10 minutes this time !!!! and not 15 minutes like in the December DAP bought on "iriver official store" on aliexpress...
So, I bought one Kann Alpha in China (3 weeks waiting for delivery in December) and one in France 48h delivery this week in February => one is in 1.01CM firmware (French) and other 1.01CN (China) => same issue, though one can be set with French language, that's all !!!

For sure this made is definitely a piece of garbage => I will return this new A&K Kan Alpha on Monday to the French dealer and I will sell the old one for 400 Euros to someone who don't care to deactivate AKConnect for accessing upnp server
.. and I will NEVER buy any A&K component anymore. It's not a serious made.
I am totally upset ! I have spent too much money and time to try to make it work.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,075 of 2,082
With the chinese Kann Alpha, at least, I can Qobuz without time limit when AKConnect is deactivated .. with the French model => 10 minutes max even when A&K is deactivated..
So the situation is even WORSE with the internation firmware than with the Chinese firmware !!!
I can't believe A&K can't reproduce this major AKConnect issue with 1.01CM or 1.01CN .. I don't trust them at all !

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #1,076 of 2,082
I got a brand new Kann Alpha today from an official french dealer (clearly indicated on the A&K website).
I received it in 48h and everything is perfectly sealed, and it took me a time to get the DAP out of the box and keep the box in perfect "condition" to be returned next week to the dealer as I don't expect it to work better than the one I bought in December.

This time I have directly 1.01CM firmware in the DAP (no need to update via OTA), but there is French language available which is not available in the 1.01CN firmware which was downloaded by OTA in the former Kann Alpha bought on aliexpress.

And guess what !
First try AK connect to my Synology UPNP server => cut in 10 minutes .. I forgot to turn off the sleep mode in AK Connect parameters.
So, I did a second try with AK Connect Sleep Mode deactivated.. and ...
No change AKconnect stops after 10 minutes this time !!!! and not 15 minutes like in the December DAP bought on "iriver official store" on aliexpress...
So, I bought one Kann Alpha in China (3 weeks waiting for delivery in December) and one in France 48h delivery this week in February => one is in 1.01CM firmware (French) and other 1.01CN (China) => same issue, though one can be set with French language, that's all !!!

For sure this made is definitely a piece of garbage => I will return this new A&K Kan Alpha on Monday to the French dealer and I will sell the old one for 400 Euros to someone who don't care to deactivate AKConnect for accessing upnp server
.. and I will NEVER buy any A&K component anymore. It's not a serious made.
I am totally upset ! I have spent too much money and time to try to make it work.
I will buy your old one for 400,- if in mint condition :)

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #1,080 of 2,082
It was like this before:
701B0644-24F5-4CA1-963A-B8FE753E529D.jpeg
So I enabled AK CONNECT, and then disabled Sleep Mode, and then disabled AK CONNECT again. Now it’s like this:
45927AED-EEFF-4E8E-A488-DD3AC8A3725F.jpeg

It just means that with this piece of garbage in this position, you can't access to any DSD on UPNP servers in your home or be a dlna renderer when you use it with a Toslink output to an external DAC/AMP => because AK Connect is inactive !!! and there is no way to download Bubbleupnp, Neutron Player, USBaudio pro to the service menu !!!! A&K is so poor in services possibilities.
Just amazing in 2021 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back