Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #947 of 2,082
I was about to say the same, I didn't expect a dap from 2020 to have so many software bugs, yesterday i was really mad when I was using Tidal it constantly goes to the 2nd track, I didn't even updated to the latest 1.01 but still experiencing the issue.

Also sometimes the dap lags when its loading sd card files, and why does it load media files everytime turn it on?

KA is an upgraded version of kann and kann cube so this player could have FULL HD 1080P DISPLAY so I don't have to worry about damaging my Ka when playing 1080p YouTube video content on 720p screen(warning given by AK LOL)

The 1.02 or whatever next update they are making should fix at least streaming issues when using tidal or any other streaming apps!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #948 of 2,082
Another thing I have noticed that the 3.5mm single ended output doesn't feel like powerful enough for my JH AUDIO ROSIE even at high gain mode I feel like it needs more power, I have to hit volume level of 70 to make it loud enough when I'm outside, also it terms of sound I still feel like the original kann had more warmish sound signature and the bass felt more organic when using Jh audio rosie, soundstage and details feels more or less same on KA when comparing to kann. I'm now still waiting for my custom 4.4mm cable from AE for this iem then ill write my final impression, maybe/hoping the balance output gonna make it sound better.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #949 of 2,082
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to the world of head-fi.So please forgive any stupid questions.
I currently listen to both Amazon HD and Tidal streamed music, via my Win 10 laptop, into a Fiio K5 Pro DAC/AMP into a pair of Sennheiser HD660s headphones.
But now I'm looking to buy my first DAC, which will mostly be used at home, but occasionally taken out and about.
So I need good wireless when at home, and I need to download music to the player to listen to when out.
After narrowing things down to either the Fiio M15, or the (Preffered) Astell & Kern Kann Alpha. I also intend to buy Fiio FH7 IEMs at the same time.
I'm about to order in the next day or so, but I am concerned, after reading this entire thread, that the Kann Alpha falls short on the wireless capability, and I'm confused whether downloading from Tidal/Amazon for later listening is possible?
So, what should I do? AK Alpha or Fiio m15?
Please help me decide. Your advice is really appreciated.
Thank you for reading this.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #950 of 2,082
3-ish month owner of the kann alpha here. fortunately, i've not experienced the types of dropouts that some folks are reporting.

i feel lucky as with any technology product, there must be a certain percentage of production that doesn't work, right? same as with any other product. the defect rate is never zero.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #951 of 2,082
3-ish month owner of the kann alpha here. fortunately, i've not experienced the types of dropouts that some folks are reporting.

i feel lucky as with any technology product, there must be a certain percentage of production that doesn't work, right? same as with any other product. the defect rate is never zero.
Thank you for the reply.
I think you are quite right. I realise a large majority will not have problems, but those who do, tend to post about it. So it might not be as bad as I think, but there are a few posts on this thread about the wireless drop out problems I mentioned.
Do you download from Tidal for offline listening too? This is the other major requirement I have.

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #952 of 2,082
Thank you for the reply.
I think you are quite right. I realise a large majority will not have problems, but those who do, tend to post about it. So it might not be as bad as I think, but there are a few posts on this thread about the wireless drop out problems I mentioned.
Do you download from Tidal for offline listening too? This is the other major requirement I have.
You have to install the Tidal apk app and that will allow you to download offline content to your internal memory. The embedded Tidal app is great and sounds fantastic, but you can't download offline files with it. I personally use the Tidal apk app just for music I want to listen to when I know I will not have network access. Its super easy to DL the apk and drag it into the Android file transfer app. It then shows up in your list of services and away you go.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #953 of 2,082
You have to install the Tidal apk app and that will allow you to download offline content to your internal memory. The embedded Tidal app is great and sounds fantastic, but you can't download offline files with it. I personally use the Tidal apk app just for music I want to listen to when I know I will not have network access. Its super easy to DL the apk and drag it into the Android file transfer app. It then shows up in your list of services and away you go.
Thank you for the reply.
I have just finished reading a couple of posts earlier in the thread about this. As a newcomer to anything Android it is alien to me, but now that I know it can be done, it helps a lot, so thanks again.
I still have a concern about the wireless dropouts though. Although I will be downloading and purchasing some, a lot of my time is spent streaming,both Tidal and Amazon HD.
Any update on this?

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #954 of 2,082
I still have a concern about the wireless dropouts though. Although I will be downloading and purchasing some, a lot of my time is spent streaming,both Tidal and Amazon HD.
Any update on this?
I can't help any with the dropouts, sorry. I have not experienced drop outs, but more importantly, I don't own the ALPHA, I currently use an SE200. JasonNYC will likely update soon when any pertinent info is available.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #955 of 2,082
My pain when it comes to the Alpha software is the anomaly of grouping the folders into unknown artists. My SE200 is so cool in that department. As you can see, 82 files went into unknown artists on Alpha, whereas ONLY ONE is unknown on SE200, and guess what! It's not something I uploaded. It's one of the sound files that come uploaded with the DAP.

Attachments

• 20210127_104144.jpg
    20210127_104144.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210127_104054.jpg
    20210127_104054.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #956 of 2,082

I think there's some truth in this, though an issue with any technology is not just about whether it fulfils the functions promised but the setting it works in. People need to consider if their WiFi routers or if their set up is up to scratch for instance.

Every link in the chain adds potential failure points.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #958 of 2,082
I think there's some truth in this, though an issue with any technology is not just about whether it fulfils the functions promised but the setting it works in. People need to consider if their WiFi routers or if their set up is up to scratch for instance.

Every link in the chain adds potential failure points.
A very valid point.
So should I assume that because my iPhone, and iPad pro, and my wife's Android phone, and both of our Kindles work in the place where I will be sitting to listen to my music, then so too should my soon to be aquired DAP?
I genuinely think I should be safe to assume that.
I just think I need to put on my big boy pants, and order it.
No more procrastinating.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #959 of 2,082
Jan 27, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #960 of 2,082
My pain when it comes to the Alpha software is the anomaly of grouping the folders into unknown artists. My SE200 is so cool in that department. As you can see, 82 files went into unknown artists on Alpha, whereas ONLY ONE is unknown on SE200, and guess what! It's not something I uploaded. It's one of the sound files that come uploaded with the DAP.
If you recently loaded a lot of new files on the player, it will scan and index in the background over several starts, so it can take some time to fully index. I recommend doing a manual media scan after transferring large amounts of files. A manual scan will index everything all at once. Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan. If you have playlists saved on player, make sure the clear playlists box is unchecked.

It could take 15 minutes or more depending on how many files you have in internal and external storage to fully complete.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back