Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #901 of 2,082
It will be the best news to read, and can make this Kann Alpha a keeper if they solve the wifi drops issue, though some of the other limitations can be annoying...
But global size/weight, high voltage output, very good sound quality (with nice fast and clear impacts in very low frequencies), speed to start reading music even it the dap is scanning a new SD in background are valuable features.
Agreed, the WiFi drops are my main gripe with my Kann Alpha. Really hoping the next firmware update resolves this.

On a positive note, I’ve been testing my Campfire Andromeda’s with Kann Alpha and I’m happy to report there’s zero hiss from the 3.5mm port. They actually sound quite good together :)

22E13128-AEB5-4046-8154-079B56EA2C15.jpeg

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #902 of 2,082
The dignis case for the Kann Alpha is beautiful. Got myself a red one. I prefer it to the OG because of the cutouts for the 3 buttons on the side.

I have ordered myself one a few weeks back but I think it'll be while before it gets to me (estimated delivery of 7th February at the moment). The serious nature of the pandemic on that side of the world has slowed everything down. Totally understandable and I can wait :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #903 of 2,082
i made a mistake. i previously posted the incorrect model number. they all look so similar(!) and unless one were to read this tiny print carefully, they look virtually the same, especially when one has many of these chargers from having Samsung phones for years!

i am actually using this one (pic attached):

EP-TA200
Output: 9.0V 1.67 Amps
or 5.0V 2.0 Amps

@JasonNYC: may i ask if this one is safe to use? thanks in advance.

It's entirely up to you, but I would never use an OEM phone charger for a DAP. They can be too powerful. However that's just my opinion, others may disagree.

The majority of them produce too much amperage for a DAP battery to cope with, also smartphone manufacturers build a four or five year lifespan into their batteries as they know that pumping high levels of charge into them will damage them over time anyway.

I just use a basic 1.0 amp charger, I am in to rush to charge the player, I plug it in at night before sleeping and just let it charge away.

I have one of these. 1 Amp Charger which I also take around with me when I'm away from home.

I used a 2.0 amp charger by accident once with the Pioneer 300R player. It got to 25% and then stopped charging, I nearly had a heart attack and thought I'd broken it! haha. Thankfully when I went back to a 1 amp charger it was 100% fine, phew....but it was very unhappy with a 2.0 amp load.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #904 of 2,082
It's entirely up to you, but I would never use an OEM phone charger for a DAP. They can be too powerful. However that's just my opinion, others may disagree.

The majority of them produce too much amperage for a DAP battery to cope with, also smartphone manufacturers build a four or five year lifespan into their batteries as they know that pumping high levels of charge into them will damage them over time anyway.

I just use a basic 1.0 amp charger, I am in to rush to charge the player, I plug it in at night before sleeping and just let it charge away.

I have one of these. 1 Amp Charger which I also take around with me when I'm away from home.

I used a 2.0 amp charger by accident once with the Pioneer 300R player. It got to 25% and then stopped charging, I nearly had a heart attack and thought I'd broken it! haha. Thankfully when I went back to a 1 amp charger it was 100% fine, phew....but it was very unhappy with a 2.0 amp load.

attached please find the page in the Kann Alpha manual discussing the charging parameters.

it says that with 9V / 1.67Amp chargers, it takes 3 hours and 30 minutes.

it also says that with 5V / 2Amp chargers, it will take 5 hours.

it further says that a fast charger of 9V 1.67Amp may be used, which i presume is different from a 9V/1.67Amp NON-FAST charger.

it then finally says that 12V adapters will not charger the Kann Alpha and may cause malfunction.

so, with that info, i looked closely at my various Samsung chargers that i have on hand and thought that the one pictured in my previous post which has:

- 9V / 1.67A or 5V / 2A

would clearly meet the stated specifications.

Attachments

• Screenshot Kann Alpha CHARGING REQUIREMENTS.JPG
    Screenshot Kann Alpha CHARGING REQUIREMENTS.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #905 of 2,082
i made a mistake. i previously posted the incorrect model number. they all look so similar(!) and unless one were to read this tiny print carefully, they look virtually the same, especially when one has many of these chargers from having Samsung phones for years!

i am actually using this one (pic attached):

EP-TA200
Output: 9.0V 1.67 Amps
or 5.0V 2.0 Amps

@JasonNYC: may i ask if this one is safe to use? thanks in advance.

Samsung Charger I Use  2021-01-13 17.21.16.jpg
This Samsung charger is Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 compatible and would work without issue to fast charge players.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 15, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #906 of 2,082
attached please find the page in the Kann Alpha manual discussing the charging parameters.

it says that with 9V / 1.67Amp chargers, it takes 3 hours and 30 minutes.

it also says that with 5V / 2Amp chargers, it will take 5 hours.

it further says that a fast charger of 9V 1.67Amp may be used, which i presume is different from a 9V/1.67Amp NON-FAST charger.

it then finally says that 12V adapters will not charger the Kann Alpha and may cause malfunction.

so, with that info, i looked closely at my various Samsung chargers that i have on hand and thought that the one pictured in my previous post which has:

- 9V / 1.67A or 5V / 2A

would clearly meet the stated specifications.

Yes it's fine my friend I'm not disagreeing with you. It's purely a personal opinion....other opinions are also available. haha.

Like you mention above you just have to be careful with supercharging and gimmicks like that which will almost certainly damage the player.

Looks like you've done your homework nicely though :)

I hope you are enjoying the player, a great sounding piece of kit, I'm really loving it so far.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #911 of 2,082
How is the performance of the 3.5mm Optical out of KA?? I'm thinking to use it for tidal mqa playback as source and power my hp with desktop amp burson conductor c3 ref which has coaxial in.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #912 of 2,082
It's working perfectly . I am using it with a 2m Toslink Cable connected to a M500 DAC + THX 887 Amp + Heddphone by Hedd. Kann Alpha EQ can still be active and MQA decoded before reaching the external DAC... and a conversion to 24bits 192klhz can be made.
A common bluetooth remote can be also used to make it more comfortable to play as a standalone Hires player.

Actually, it is the best sound I could get out from the Kann Alpha (with the kicks linked to the power of the THX887), though after nearly 3 weeks using it, I really enjoy the results with the difficult 42Ohms 87Db of the Heddphone with the Kann Alpha => I can say, this time I am really free at home with a difficult Headphone to drive.

What a pity these wifi drops every 15 minutes, disconnecting me from my Synology NAS or Qobuz :sob: :sob: :sob:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #914 of 2,082
I think any android Bluetooth remote is compatible with the Kann Alpha.
I like to use Satechi one , but I have also some other "button" one working too.
1610817747329.png

With Toslink connection volume button is not operational as the Kann Alpha is fixed to 150 output, but walking in the street connected to a IEM lke the IER-Z1R, I prefer to control the dap with a BT remote than to take off from my pocket the Kann Alpha to change track or set the volume properly (it's far more convenient).
It's pity that the BT remote for the Sony WM1A is not compatible with android, because it's smaller size with same form factor and with the possibility to block it without disconnecting the remote just to avoid unattempted actions.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #915 of 2,082

Users who are viewing this thread

Back