Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #826 of 2,082
Does the Apple Music APK allow download and offline streaming for Astell & Kern players? Hoping to get the Kann Alpha as a means to play my high res files and also have Apple Music handy.

Hiya. Sorry difficult for me to help you as I don't really stream at all (I'm out all the time and listen to my music mainly in the car on the plane, etc.) Is this the same as the app on the iPhone? If so I can try it for you.

However on most DAP's we are finding that downloading for offline streaming is an issue. It's not just an A&K thing, some of the apps won't recognise the sd cards for example.

I'll see what I can do this evening.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #827 of 2,082
Hiya. Sorry difficult for me to help you as I don't really stream at all (I'm out all the time and listen to my music mainly in the car on the plane, etc.) Is this the same as the app on the iPhone? If so I can try it for you.

However on most DAP's we are finding that downloading for offline streaming is an issue. It's not just an A&K thing, some of the apps won't recognise the sd cards for example.

I'll see what I can do this evening.
Hi I basically want to use the alpha to use Apple Music to download my library /playlists at home then be able to play them when I’m not in wifi. I don’t know how finicky the apk version will be as it will be my first venture into this apk stuff.
primary use will of course be for my high res files played locally from mySD card.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #828 of 2,082
Hi I basically want to use the alpha to use Apple Music to download my library /playlists at home then be able to play them when I’m not in wifi. I don’t know how finicky the apk version will be as it will be my first venture into this apk stuff.
primary use will of course be for my high res files played locally from mySD card.

No problem, yep from what I've read most apps don't always play ball with DAP's. They can't seem to recognise the internal storage.

However iTunes is usually about 320kb AAC which doesn't take up huge space so I'll see what happens when I go download anything and if it will let me.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #829 of 2,082
No problem, yep from what I've read most apps don't always play ball with DAP's. They can't seem to recognise the internal storage.

However iTunes is usually about 320kb AAC which doesn't take up huge space so I'll see what happens when I go download anything and if it will let me.
FYI, this may or may not be helpful, but there looks to be an issue with Apple Music aside from any issue with storage mediums? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-new-flagship-a-ultima-sp2000.906255/post-16066881

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #830 of 2,082

Well the comment above may be something to do with it as well but no luck I'm afraid.

Apple Music v3.4.5 from APK Pure. https://apkpure.com/apple-music/com.apple.android.music

Recognised by the player, installs fine.

.....but will not start. White screen when started then stops working and crashes.

I can't find an older version.

I also tried out of curiosity the B&W headphone app and also a podcast app that I used on my old Android phone.

Neither were recognised or showing on the player, however it was worth a try.

The player does scare the life out of you thought with all the warnings when installing! haha.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #831 of 2,082
Thanks heaps for trying. I read earlier in the thread that the version 3.3.3 seems to work for them. So maybe I’ll just bite the bullet and buy it and hope for a fix later.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #832 of 2,082
Ok, thank you to @blotmouse for the link.

I went to APK Mirror and downloaded an older version of the app Apple Music 3.2.2

Installed fine and launched fine, signed into my account, wouldn't let me continue unless I took out an Apple Music subscription so I did that, must remember to cancel it! lol.

App starts fine, went to a random album and tried to download it, worked fine....

Then switched off wifi and tried to continue listening to the music. Worked ok too, although occasionally it would pester you to connect to the internet.

Two lots of pictures, one showing single track download and one showing full album download.

I hope that helps! :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #834 of 2,082
Ok, thank you to @blotmouse for the link.

I went to APK Mirror and downloaded an older version of the app Apple Music 3.2.2

Installed fine and launched fine, signed into my account, wouldn't let me continue unless I took out an Apple Music subscription so I did that, must remember to cancel it! lol.

App starts fine, went to a random album and tried to download it, worked fine....

Then switched off wifi and tried to continue listening to the music. Worked ok too, although occasionally it would pester you to connect to the internet.

Two lots of pictures, one showing single track download and one showing full album download.

I hope that helps! :)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
THANK YOU so much for your time in doing this. Really really appreciate your efforts.
Annoying about the constant prompt to login to wifi but at least it works offline!! Cheers again

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #835 of 2,082
THANK YOU so much for your time in doing this. Really really appreciate your efforts.
Annoying about the constant prompt to login to wifi but at least it works offline!! Cheers again

Yes it was odd, it did it about three or four times and then behaved itself so you should be ok.

Probably just takes a while for everything to sort itself out but it did display all my previously purchased music and I listened to a few tracks and also watched a few videos that I bought. All seemed fine and the option to download was there.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #836 of 2,082

Not sure if you're looking to make an upgrade in your music service but Tidal works perfectly offline as well.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #837 of 2,082
Not sure if you're looking to make an upgrade in your music service but Tidal works perfectly offline as well.

Is it possible to select a download folder on SD or are you limited with the more or less 50Mb of internal memory of the Alpha ? ... With Qobuz, I can use the SD card for a while, but it is getting more or less totally lost after 70 or 80Gb hires files downloaded .. and I estimate around 200Gb and 90 playlists offline to feel free.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #839 of 2,082
hi, i'm looking for closed headphones to use with kann alpha, i'm currently using aeon closed with very good results, but i would like to try something different, which beyerdynamic model would suit you? Regards.
Nothing against Beyer but have you considered ZMF or Focal's closed back line-up?

I'm saving up for a Focal Radiance after spending a few months with the Focal Clear. I really enjoy their house sound and the Radiance is quite a bit warmer than the Clear but not quite as warm as the ZMF Atticus or Eikon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back