Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 21, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,561 of 2,698
Hey guys, I was looking into getting an AK70 MKII if I could find one (used most likely) for a good price, or if I could find a Kann for a good price, considering buying that. Reading through the last few pages of this thread have me a little worried about the support/battery and getting service if need be through this company. Do all AK devices have similar battery problems, or is this something specific to the Kann in how fast it will degrade and require them to service it, rather than buying a replacement battery? The Kann interested me due to the AMP, and both the MKII and Kann interest me for the USB DAC functionality which all DAPs do not seem to have and is a feature I would really like to get in one that I am purchasing. I feel like every device/thread I go into seems to have its own fair share of problems. The X5 seems to have awful software on it that is unresponsive and laggy among some other issues, the Kann seems to have battery/service issues which is what I am mainly seeing but have not dug deeper into the thread yet. The MKII I am not sure about yet as I have not dug deep enough to start finding the problems but I am having a hard time bringing myself to spend $300-500+ on a DAP that seems to have so many functionality issues with it. Also the battery life from a lot of these devices seems fairly lack luster. I am not sure if it has to do with the components inside or playing higher quality music, but I feel like my iPod would last me for quite some time of playback when running off battery vs the 5-7 hours of playback some of these devices give. I believe I saw 3-4 on some other DAPs. I will be using it in my car a lot of the time and will most likely try to keep it plugged into USB for power while listening to it, so I will not always need a huge charge but I feel almost like it's a step back from devices in the past, but maybe people who understand everything about these devices better know why the batteries do not seem to last as long as one might think/hope.

May 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,562 of 2,698
Hey guys, I was looking into getting an AK70 MKII if I could find one (used most likely) for a good price, or if I could find a Kann for a good price, considering buying that. Reading through the last few pages of this thread have me a little worried about the support/battery and getting service if need be through this company. Do all AK devices have similar battery problems, or is this something specific to the Kann in how fast it will degrade and require them to service it, rather than buying a replacement battery? The Kann interested me due to the AMP, and both the MKII and Kann interest me for the USB DAC functionality which all DAPs do not seem to have and is a feature I would really like to get in one that I am purchasing. I feel like every device/thread I go into seems to have its own fair share of problems. The X5 seems to have awful software on it that is unresponsive and laggy among some other issues, the Kann seems to have battery/service issues which is what I am mainly seeing but have not dug deeper into the thread yet. The MKII I am not sure about yet as I have not dug deep enough to start finding the problems but I am having a hard time bringing myself to spend $300-500+ on a DAP that seems to have so many functionality issues with it. Also the battery life from a lot of these devices seems fairly lack luster. I am not sure if it has to do with the components inside or playing higher quality music, but I feel like my iPod would last me for quite some time of playback when running off battery vs the 5-7 hours of playback some of these devices give. I believe I saw 3-4 on some other DAPs. I will be using it in my car a lot of the time and will most likely try to keep it plugged into USB for power while listening to it, so I will not always need a huge charge but I feel almost like it's a step back from devices in the past, but maybe people who understand everything about these devices better know why the batteries do not seem to last as long as one might think/hope.

I have only seen one adverse comment regarding a battery problem, from a user who quite rightly, was very critical of the lack of service from A & K. I previously had an A & K Jnr and upon logging in to their forum, it was noticeable that A & K were not at all concerned with customer support once they had got your money. I note that you mention the FiiO X5. FiiO are very responsive with customer communication and they leave A & K standing in that respect. Unfortunately, FiiO are not noted for software expertise and their updates sometimes introduce more problems than they solve. By far the best FiiO model is the X7ii, which is their top of the range. I had one for about 6 months before I swapped if for the KANN. I would not have done so, other than for the fact that Amazon UK were advertising the KANN at £200 off the normal price, an offer which only lasted for a few days before it regained its' normal price of £899. I am quite happy with the KANN, but I would not have been as happy if I had paid the full list price. The FiiO X7ii is equally as good in respect of sound quality and features, although the KANN has better amplification options.

I had the original FiiO X5 and the FiiO X5ii, which I only kept for 3 months. I have not tried the X5iii but I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole, having had the X7ii.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #1,563 of 2,698
I have only seen one adverse comment regarding a battery problem, from a user who quite rightly, was very critical of the lack of service from A & K.

Funny this subject should come up. Tomorrow marks seven weeks from my initial RMA request. I was tickled to receive a shipping notice from UPS's preferred service that a package was scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Upon tracking it only a shipping label was created. How can these people be so lame? The rule in customer service is underpromise and over deliver. With the holiday weekend, even if A&K get's off their sorry, lazy, prevaricating A$$'s and ships it tomorrow it still won't arrive until the middle of next week. That's almost eight weeks folks, or 1/6 of the year. I don't care how good the Kann sounds, this is pure poopoo service and definitely not how a high end company behaves. I can't believe the folks at A&K are this stupid, it's obvious they just don't give a rat's patoot. Think about this before you spend your money.

May 25, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #1,564 of 2,698
Funny this subject should come up. Tomorrow marks seven weeks from my initial RMA request. I was tickled to receive a shipping notice from UPS's preferred service that a package was scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Upon tracking it only a shipping label was created. How can these people be so lame? The rule in customer service is underpromise and over deliver. With the holiday weekend, even if A&K get's off their sorry, lazy, prevaricating A$$'s and ships it tomorrow it still won't arrive until the middle of next week. That's almost eight weeks folks, or 1/6 of the year. I don't care how good the Kann sounds, this is pure poopoo service and definitely not how a high end company behaves. I can't believe the folks at A&K are this stupid, it's obvious they just don't give a rat's patoot. Think about this before you spend your money.

This is very discouraging information and I feel sorry for you. I did not expect A&K has such bad after sales service. Today it happened with you and tomorrow it could be someone else, maybe me. I am not at all happy. Spending almost $1000 for this DAP and if A&K delivers such bad after sales service it is very dis heartening. I am wondering why Jason@NYC of A&K is silent and not pulling up his office for this mess. I have not seen any comments of his in here. :triportsad:

May 25, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #1,565 of 2,698
This is very discouraging information and I feel sorry for you. I did not expect A&K has such bad after sales service. Today it happened with you and tomorrow it could be someone else, maybe me. I am not at all happy. Spending almost $1000 for this DAP and if A&K delivers such bad after sales service it is very dis heartening. I am wondering why Jason@NYC of A&K is silent and not pulling up his office for this mess. I have not seen any comments of his in here. :triportsad:

Jason's absence is both disturbing and informative. If you have read through my posts I am well established in, and have been blessed to have personal and professional relationships with many of the great names in the high end audio community. This is not how ethical companies respond. Find my post that includes the reference to "Balance Stars" and read between the lines.

May 25, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #1,566 of 2,698
Jason's absence is both disturbing and informative. If you have read through my posts I am well established in, and have been blessed to have personal and professional relationships with many of the great names in the high end audio community. This is not how ethical companies respond. Find my post that includes the reference to "Balance Stars" and read between the lines.
Yes I have read your past posts. I thought it was solved . But seeing you still waiting for your Kann replacement made my adrenal burst. I can only wish you luck. Cheers

May 25, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #1,567 of 2,698
Sorry for the adrenal burst...

Readers must understand ethics and the lack of them. I believe I have already commented on how Linn's behemoth organization responds promptly and personally to warranty issues. Our local and world renowned high end speaker manufacturer is famous for two day turn arounds on repairs, most of which are from user booboos or cannabis smoke that has destroyed the butyl rubber in the driver surrounds. Time is money. Big money spent on a product and time lost is exponential. Think about this A&K and get your act together.

May 25, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,568 of 2,698
Sorry for the adrenal burst...
Think about this A&K and get your act together.
I would say nothing new under the sun.
A&K aftersale service varies from decent to crap depending on where you live (try EU for example, and pray you never have any issue with your DAP, while in the US they are relatively responsive).
Add to this that they use batteries with crappy quality even in their high-end DAPs, that show about 50-60% efficacy after 500 cycles.
And that they either refuse to replace them or make you go through a lenghty and expensive process to have them replaced.

What is barely acceptable for a 150$ DAP is just appaling for +3000$ DAPs and yet people here casually dismiss this.
As much as I loved my AK380 for its natural sound, the awful UI and battery life made me sell it.

May 26, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #1,572 of 2,698
Someone please tell me how and where I can get balanced cables for my Kann that fit Sennheiser HD800 headphones and a Cavalli Liquid Carbon?

I just received a balanced cable for my Focal Clears from LQicables.com. I can highly recommend LQicables. They're made in the USA and my order shipped within a couple of days. The materials and workmanship are both first rate. I got the UP-OCC silver plated copper cables (4' long). This cable is so much more flexible than the Focal stock SE cable In addition I noticed no microphonics. I was able to chose a right-angle connector (which I prefer).

With the Clears, the Kann has a noticeably better SQ when using the balanced output. It's more dynamic with extra punch with percussion instruments.

I plugged my Clears into the balanced output on my Onkyo DP-X1 and couldn't detect any improvement over the SE output. I think it's due to the weaker amp in the Onkyo, that just can't drive the Clears any harder. Unlike the Kann, that has power to spare.

On the website I can see cable terminations for the HD800, but I didn't see anything for Cavalli. You might want to contact them about those.

https://lqicables.com/

IMG_2.jpg

May 26, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #1,573 of 2,698
My apologies if this has already been discussed. My Kann cuts off the first fractions of a second of any track I select to play. This does not affect tracks as it plays through, only tracks that are selected either by the folder menu, or by the track-advance button. If the music should begin at the exact start of the track, the player cuts off the first note or so; music that starts half a second or so later is unaffected. (For instance, on the 24-bit remaster of Born in the USA, the opening keyboard chord is cut off - definitely not a great way to start such a great album.) Switching gapless on and off makes no difference. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a fix? My firmware version is 1.12CM, which I believe it up to date.

May 27, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,574 of 2,698
My apologies if this has already been discussed. My Kann cuts off the first fractions of a second of any track I select to play. This does not affect tracks as it plays through, only tracks that are selected either by the folder menu, or by the track-advance button. If the music should begin at the exact start of the track, the player cuts off the first note or so; music that starts half a second or so later is unaffected. (For instance, on the 24-bit remaster of Born in the USA, the opening keyboard chord is cut off - definitely not a great way to start such a great album.) Switching gapless on and off makes no difference. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a fix? My firmware version is 1.12CM, which I believe it up to date.

That's a strange problem. Does it make a difference of the file is located in the player's internal memory vs. the SD card? Same goes for format: MP3 vs. FLAC, DSD, etc..

May 28, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,575 of 2,698
That's a strange problem. Does it make a difference of the file is located in the player's internal memory vs. the SD card? Same goes for format: MP3 vs. FLAC, DSD, etc..
No difference, regardless of format or file location. It sounds like the player is doing a "soft start," where it very quickly (like, fractions of a second) fades in as the track starts, but this can cut off the beginnings of tracks where the audio starts within that fade-up time. I looked to see if there's a setting that would disable the feature - assuming it is a feature, and not a glitch or a defect - but I can't find any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back