Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 31, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #616 of 2,698
do you guys have issue with the battery draining so fast while not in use? im using my kann with hd800s and it drops from 100% to 90% (more than 30 minutes listening), and i unplug the headphone jack and go sleep.. check the battery drop to 70% in the morning(without playing any music at all)..

May 31, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #617 of 2,698
do you guys have issue with the battery draining so fast while not in use? im using my kann with hd800s and it drops from 100% to 90% (more than 30 minutes listening), and i unplug the headphone jack and go sleep.. check the battery drop to 70% in the morning(without playing any music at all)..

Were you using any streaming service before you paused the player? Anyway, the player is meant to be powered off when you are not using it.

May 31, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #618 of 2,698
I spoke to iRiver, the symptoms of my AK were as follows, DSD .dsf ripped from 180g Vinyl, (Twenty One Pilots- BlurryFace) The sound started to fall apart above 130 in high amp mode 2.5mm either way too warm crushing bass into mids negating soundstage or too hollow with high trble ear piercing sounds, at first it was too warm now its high treble, also note you cannot adjust the EQ with DSD. So then I went to DOP or DOP/pcm to Chord Mojo from KANN.... still not sounding clean. Hence they want me to try a new unit to see if I had a defect.

I didn't have issues with battery drain, but the unit gets pretty warm, I always turn off wifi and Bluetooth if not in use and power it down as well.

May 31, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #619 of 2,698

I listened to mine for a good hour it got to 93% wifi off and Bluetooth off screen on 20%. Can you drive with "Authority" your HD800s? Clean clear soundstage? Thanks!

May 31, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #620 of 2,698
ohhh.. i listen mine with tidal, wifi on and bluetooth off..and i didnt turn the wifi off while i sleep, maybe thats causing the battery drops more.. i notice that my hd800s didnt sound that good with kann player, dont know why, but feels like it hurting my ears even if i listening with low volume..
but when using kann with my other headphone ( like sennheiser hd1) it feels so so much better.. i guess kann doesnt have enough power to drive 300ohm headphone.., its just my basic opinion, im not an expert audio guy.. :D

May 31, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #621 of 2,698
I have issues with battery draining very fast as well as battery taking too Long to charge.

Leaving the KANN on standby for around 10-12 hours will drain around 40%. This is after listening to Tidal with wifi turned on and Bluetooth off.

As for battery charging, even after 9 hours of charge, it is only 70% charge. I am using an Anker USB wall charger. Based on the manual, it says that it takes a maximum of 5 hours to charge for wall chargers. I'm wondering if I have a faulty battery? How Long does it take for you to charge your battery? And what chargers do you guys use?
Thanks.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #622 of 2,698
ohhh.. i listen mine with tidal, wifi on and bluetooth off..and i didnt turn the wifi off while i sleep, maybe thats causing the battery drops more.. i notice that my hd800s didnt sound that good with kann player, dont know why, but feels like it hurting my ears even if i listening with low volume..
but when using kann with my other headphone ( like sennheiser hd1) it feels so so much better.. i guess kann doesnt have enough power to drive 300ohm headphone.., its just my basic opinion, im not an expert audio guy.. :D

have you tried to set the gain to high so that it can drive the hd800?

May 31, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #623 of 2,698
if anyone expects a dap alone would drive lcd2 with authority they are mistaken biggly hugely :)

i own the lcd2 and kann and own and owned alot of totl daps non what so ever can drive lcd2 with authority as a dap alone

kann is good only for iems period but not for planars like lcd2. hifiman 560 and oppo pm1 and that applies to all other daps including the ak380 and amp, cowon plenue s, cowon plenue pm2 and others which i sold.

I have stated this long time before in this thread especially if you compare how those planars sound with a dap connected to an amp like alo mk3 B.

Its not about if a dap can push the sound to be loud, its about driving those planars with authority and keeping the integrity of the dynamics of those planars. And that can not be achieved with a dap alone peroid

I'm intrigued by the kann! Gotta check out this giant A&K!
Love their DAPs. So the noisefloor is quiet enough for IEMs??

Actually: I found Questyles' QP1R drove my Audeze LCD-3, 3F, and 2s quite well. They've got a distinct advantage with regard to packing' power in a small footprint thanks to their Current-Mode technology - but you'd wanna listen to see if their signature grabs you.

Though I admittedly love the combination of my AK-380 (via balanced Double Helix Cables) + LCD-2F! While the spec may not convince someone that rig has enough juice to drive the planners - I find the duo strikingly immersive & dynamic. I know my Lehmann Traveler gives it a helluva' lot more kick in the lower-octaves, but musically I love it.

May 31, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #624 of 2,698

I think it is more of synergy. I tried the HD800s on it as well and did not sound that great but it was able to drive it to loud volumes.
I then ran the T1 Gen2 (600 ohm) but it sounded so much better on Kann. Both headphones were from the balanced jack.

May 31, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #625 of 2,698
I'm intrigued by the kann! Gotta check out this giant A&K!
Love their DAPs. So the noisefloor is quiet enough for IEMs??

Actually: I found Questyles' QP1R drove my Audeze LCD-3, 3F, and 2s quite well. They've got a distinct advantage with regard to packing' power in a small footprint thanks to their Current-Mode technology - but you'd wanna listen to see if their signature grabs you.

Though I admittedly love the combination of my AK-380 (via balanced Double Helix Cables) + LCD-2F! While the spec may not convince someone that rig has enough juice to drive the planners - I find the duo strikingly immersive & dynamic. I know my Lehmann Traveler gives it a helluva' lot more kick in the lower-octaves, but musically I love it.

Compared to the other players in the 300 series, Kann does have a noticeable hiss in background.
If you are running sensitive IEMs and is hiss intolerant, you might want to take a note.

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #626 of 2,698
Compared to the other players in the 300 series, Kann does have a noticeable hiss in background.
If you are running sensitive IEMs and is hiss intolerant, you might want to take a note.
I have shure 846 and I hear no hiss what so ever and AK supposed to have the lowest noise floor as I understood among all Ak daps

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #627 of 2,698
Ok my kann is coming in today. I have ripped all my cds in iTunes to alac files on my PC. How do I transfer them over? I would assume from what I am reading I need to format the card in the Kann. Do I plug it in with the USB cable straight to the computer and then just drop and drag the folders of the songs to it from my iTunes folder?

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #628 of 2,698
Ok I got it in I plugged it up to the computer threw two Bruno Mars albums in alac form from a cd on it.
And another album in mp3 from from Amazon, and another alac ripped from cd album. I did a few just to test.. I did do the software update but I could not find where in the unit to format the micro SD card.
So I get in my car which I just had a new huge system put in it I used 1/8 inch audio cable and I am playing the songs and all of a sudden the Bruno Mars album goes into a static type fast skip glitch. I switch to the next song it does the same thing I go to the other Bruno Mars album it does the same thing every song then I go to the other lossless album that's not Bruno Mars and it works perfect and the MP3 album works perfect what do you think the issue is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back